• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Banana Republic

CanwllCorfe

Jun 4, 2009
I've heard the name quite a bit but never looked into them. Judging by the sounds of Black Walnut and Cordovan I would love them both. Black Walnut is compared to John Varvatos which I adore immensely and Cordovan being spicy and woody I am tempted to buy them blind. Are they safe? Oh and if anyone could elaborate on Cordovan a little more or compare with other frags that'd be awesome. Thanks! :wave:

petruccijc

Dec 5, 2007
Do you not have a Banana Republic store in your area where you can test them at?

CanwllCorfe

Jun 4, 2009
Do you not have a Banana Republic store in your area where you can test them at?

:eek: I didn't even think to look! I just did and there's one only an hour away!!!

For me that's hardly anything.. seeing as I live in complete seclusion and am surrounded by fields and woods. :p Well now I'm giddy as anything! I hope I won't be disappointed

petruccijc

Dec 5, 2007
:eek: I didn't even think to look! I just did and there's one only an hour away!!!

For me that's hardly anything.. seeing as I live in complete seclusion and am surrounded by fields and woods. :p Well now I'm giddy as anything! I hope I won't be disappointed

Personally, I always liked the original Banana Republic Classic fragrance, and I think Black Walnut is a pretty decent scent. But I was not thrilled with the other ones. But hopefully you will find one or more to your liking.

Good luck!

FYI - Some of the Banana Republic fragrance gift sets have been showing up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I enjoy Classic and Cordovan. Black Walnut is too fruity/sweet on me, and Slate seems to serve the same purpose as classic, but isn't as good.

The new Republic of Men is pretty good too. It's a bit too sweet during the opening with the strong spiced plum note, but the drydown is a smoothly sweetened sandalwood accord.

Last edited:

Simon Moon

Oct 3, 2006
Black Walnut is quite good for a 'Mall store fragrance'. It seems to raise itself to the level of a good designer fragrance. It does seem to have some resemblance to John Varvatos.

Cordovan I can't speak for.

urgetopurge

Oct 26, 2008
I can vouch on BR's quality of their scents. Every one of them I have smelled definately has an above-average designer quality to it, especially the two you mentioned. Cordovan is such a nice comfort scent really appropriate for anyone. Slate, the other I recommend, would be perfect for someone in their youth. The minis they sell, i think about 5$ for each, is a great bargain so try on each one at least once.

Speed00kills

Apr 23, 2009
I have all 3 and like black walnut the best. My only complaint is I wish they'd last longer on my skin

SlimPickins

Jun 3, 2005
I have tried them all repeatedly. In general, they are nice in the top notes but quickly dry down to pretty generic stuff. I really like the Black Walnut for the first 20 minutes, but then, for me, it turns into a very pedestrian woody mess. I had to wash it off. How disappointing. The rest were similar in that experience. It seems that they are meant for folks who buy them impulsively while shopping and little attention is given to the base notes.

-Slim

LanEvo

Sep 3, 2009
hey guys, how is longevity on this stuff? also what age group do they fit into? i just purchased a 7.5mL bottle of every mens fragrance on the site, besides Classis bc its unisex, to try out

SirSlarty

Dec 22, 2007

Oh! Where in PA do you live? There's a Banana Republic in Park City, Lancaster. They always have testers and samples laying about there. And the employees are super nice. (I find good things on the clearance racks).

Also there's an outlet near Limerick. Sometimes they have Black Walnut and Cordovan. I saw Modern there once!

Personally I like both Black Walnut and Cordovan and even Slate. I like Cordovan the most.

KiatBkk

Apr 5, 2006
I have Classic, Black Walnut and Slate, and Cordovan is on the way to my collection.

The two really worth owning IMO are Black Walnut and Cordovan.

Sep 2, 2009
Black walnut is An underrated scen. It's georgeous and the woody notes are of a very good quality. Could easily be niche. Last 8 hours on me and My girlfriend.

MFJ

Jun 17, 2008
Personally I like both Black Walnut and Cordovan and even Slate. I like Cordovan the most.

I have Classic, Black Walnut and Slate, and Cordovan is on the way to my collection.

The two really worth owning IMO are Black Walnut and Cordovan.

I'll throw in another vote for Slate. I've sampled some others, but Slate is the only one I own. I would want to give Cordovan another try after reading what you guys said.

mtgprox05

Dec 28, 2007
I went through a period of time where I was slightly obsessed with Black Walnut. In the end, I'm not sure what it is, but there is a note in there that doesn't quite sit right on my skin, and it was a real dealbreaker for me. That being said, I'm quite confident in saying that Black Walnut is definitely one of the best scents you can find at your mall.