Code of Conduct

Default Old Fashioned Soap Scent

I know there are dozens of threads about doldrum "soapy" fragrances that feature white musk. I am interested in fragrances that might have an old-fashioned soapiness about them--not necessarily a clean soapiness. Any ideas?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Old Fashioned Soap Scent

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's
    I own and enjoy Blenheim Bouquet very much. It's pine and lemon is a tad overpowering for me, but otherwise it is a great turn of the century scent!

Have you tried any Geo F Trumper's scents? If not, I would try their whole line and see what you think. There is a place online that sells Trumper sample set

Quote Originally Posted by Nizzle View Post
    Have you tried any Geo F Trumper's scents? If not, I would try their whole line and see what you think. There is a place online that sells Trumper sample set
    I liked their new GFT cologne, it was very soapy, but it was noxiously strong.

Prada Amber Pour Homme

JPG Fleur du Male is pure soap to me.

SMN Gold Musk
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

i bought gold musk blind....kinda smells like a cross between johnson and johnson and urine. it could be me but theres just some off smell in there that makes me want to hurl when i smell it....maybe its the musk ...maybe its the gold....i cant figure it out but sample that one first.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

In response, I sampled Gold Musk and found it quite blasť. Clean, light, powdery, but nothing special--certainly not worth SMN's prices. How about Penhaligon's Castile? I tried it a while ago but its composition evades me at the moment.

Trumper's Spanish Leather

Guerlain vetiver to me smells like a very expensive soap.
    But that's just me.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Even one of my latest favorites, Rive Gauche, has a soapy, although not necessarily old-fashioned feel about it.

Sur la Plage

Prada Amber pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I third Prada Amber Pour Homme

Would Antico Caruso fall into this vibe? I want to try it next batch I order - sounds like a comfort number?

Prada amber is extremely soapy, yes, but I don't get the vibe you are asking for. For "old fashioned" soapy, try No.88. You've got to be OK with rose though. Get a sample from theperfumedcourt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    SMN Gold Musk
    I have heard this one compared to Camay soap which makes me !WANT! but further to the comment below...

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    i bought gold musk blind....kinda smells like a cross between johnson and johnson and urine. it could be me but theres just some off smell in there that makes me want to hurl when i smell it....maybe its the musk ...maybe its the gold....i cant figure it out but sample that one first.
    the SMN Muschio was too oily & animalic for me so I wonder if I'd pick it up in the Muschio Oro...

I get a prominent, old fashioned and soapy neroli note from Eau Pour le Jeune Homme and Aqua de Parma Colonia (the original).

I'll fourth or fifth Prada Amber pour Homme, and also suggest Creed's Vetiver.

How about D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue or Arome 3? I love them both and they both definitely have that old world soapiness.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Anyone for SMN Melograno? Smells to me like a creamy potpourri
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I would suggest many of the Santa Maria Novella (SMN) line - particularly if you can actually get the soap along with the fragrance, as is the case for where I live. I have both the Russian Leather Soap and fragrance... it really gives a very good old soap combination that lasts a long time. Same thing for the Spanish Leather. If you can get a bottle of either, I suggest using it as a splash as it seems to last longer and the spray seems too weak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I liked their new GFT cologne, it was very soapy, but it was noxiously strong.
    GFT, I believe, is one of their more modern scents. I would recommend Astor, Curzon, Marlborough, and maybe Spanish Leather (reminds me of Yardley's lavender brilliantine)

I am a big fan of soapy scents myself

please let us know your discoveries based on some of the recommendations given!

Paco Rabbanne is a very soapy classy Fougere

I have ordered a sample of Prada Amber!

Equipage

I wore Mugler Cologne to work and one girl said that I smelled like Mr Bubble. Not exactly Old Fashioned, but soapy indeed.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Cool Re: Old Fashioned Soap Scent

+4 for Spanish Leather but you said you've sampled a bunch of Trumper's. Did you sample this one?

I don't usually associate soapy with vetiver, however whenever I wore Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez I felt that I was about to turn into a comic book character that burped soap bubbles. Creed's OV was a very distant second.

Good Hunting!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

If you want an old fashioned soap scent with a bit of a twist, see Comme des Garcons x Stephen Jones. At first it's all old school soap, then some peppery cloves appear, with this bright white aldehydic base that feels like a piece of cold steel. It's pretty trippy.

Prada Amber pour homme & Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

emmm...Annick Goutal Eau de Suds?

Geo F. Trumper "Wild Fern"

Fresh, clean soap.

Gendarme. It's soapier than Paco Rabanne. More of a "white" soap scent, as opposed to PR's green, herbal soap.

Back from the eighties:Roger & Gallet L' Homme...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I am going with Prada Infusion.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Monsieur de Givenchy or Floris No. 89
    Soapiest scents I own - although the Floris dries down to a warm spicey scent.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Roger et Gallet Open
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Absolument Absinthe is one to check out.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Nizzle View Post
    GFT, I believe, is one of their more modern scents. I would recommend Astor, Curzon, Marlborough, and maybe Spanish Leather (reminds me of Yardley's lavender brilliantine)

I am a big fan of soapy scents myself

please let us know your discoveries based on some of the recommendations given!
    Trumper's Spanish Leather reminds you of Yardley's lavender brilliantine!? Boy, that's something; I would be hard pressed to think of two more dissimilar fragrances than that leather/soap and the Yardleys!

Paul Stuart's Sandalwood and Arden Sandalwood for Men are very lovely soapy scents. Strong on initial application, but soapy all the way.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 25th October 2009 at 01:24 AM.

Oh oh oh! I get to be the first person to mention one that immediately comes to mind when someone mentions old fashioned soap, Penhaligons Raquets Formula! You need to try it if you haven't.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense