Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Apres L'Ondee/L'heure Bleue

I have a sample of Apres L'Ondee and unless my sample was labeled wrong it smells just Like L'Heure Bleue to me. Do I have a bad sample?

Default Re: Apres L'Ondee/L'heure Bleue

They don't smell anything alike to me...other than anise I guess. AlO should be more in the sheer powdery floral family...LHB in the oriental family. Those are horrible ways to describe such classics, but generally speaking.

They're a little similar to me, especially at first whiff but LHB is much darker, heavier and long-lasting.
    Last edited by Cors; 16th October 2009 at 01:13 AM.

Basenotes Institution

A tiny bit similar - it's funny when I first smelled them I though the same as you N_Tesla. Later on, after a few sniffs, I could clearly smell the differences. Apres L'Ondee (cassia, violet, heliotrope, iris, vanilla) and L'Heure Bleue (bergamot, pastry-like florals, lots of spices, Guerlinade) are two of my favorite Guerlains.

BTW, what formulation of LHB are you smelling? EdT, EdP, parfum, EdC?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th October 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Apres L'Ondee/L'heure Bleue

The L'heure Bleue I have is EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    A tiny bit similar - it's funny when I first smelled them I though the same as you N_Tesla. Later on, after a few sniffs, I could clearly smell the differences. Apres L'Ondee (cassia, violet, heliotrope, iris, vanilla) and L'Heure Bleue (bergamot, pastry-like florals, lots of spices, Guerlinade) are two of my favorite Guerlains.

BTW, what formulation of LHB are you smelling? EdT, EdP, parfum, EdC?

In parfum strength they are like twins. But since Apres does not come in edp, its not so pronounced when comparing L'Heure in that and Apres edt.

I think its the helitrope thing.
    DONNA

Holy heliotrope, Batman! If only I could get my hands on that Apres l'Ondee extrait, it would become a permanent prisoner in my wardrobe!:brolly:
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th October 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Blog Entries

I haven't worn L'HB for a long time. It scares me! It just about knocks me over with that cherry pie thing. I don't get that from L'Ondee. It must be the violets & cassis that takes it over to a cooler realm. It is not so rich and food-like. It's more other-worldly & ethereal. I don't feel like I'm eating an almond tree.

They smell very different to my nose. I've smelled L'Apres in extrait form only, and L'Heure in EdT and extrait. I love L'Apres but don't get along with L'Heure at all.

They smell very different on me. I cannot wear AlO. There is a note that goes sour on me. I have tried it several times, bt it just does not work. L'Heure Bleue is perfect to me.
    Evenstar

I've never sniffed them side-by-side, but when I first tried L'Heure Bleue (in a vintage PdT formulation) it immediately reminded me of AlO (which I'd tried in the current EdT). They're very far from twins: I get tons of carnation for L'HB, and none (of course) in AlO. But they're certainly cousins.

Having smelled both AlO (EDT) and LHB (EDP), even with a stuffy nose I would not mistake those 2. The hint is that LHB is far spicier with a prominent clove-y note that distinguishes it from AlO.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I definitely see the resemblance; both contain lots of heliotropin and vanilla. The difference to me is that AL'O contains a violet opening that is totally missing in L'HB and lacks the amber base-signature of L'HB. (Does anyone else think L'HB is perhaps the purest representation of the Guerlinade?)

I'd be interested in hearing more about Al'O in extrait. I'm wondering if it is really that close to LHB in that concentration.

I think that the bridge between AlO and LHB is Quand Viend la Pluie. Has anybody tried this? It certainly reminds me of both perfumes.
    Evenstar