Code of Conduct

Default Roja Dove Semi-Bespoke Perfumes

I was really impressed when I smelled some of Roja Dove's perfumes a while ago. I finally got the leathery chypre (no. 5) and am totally happy with it; yet there was one else which I don't get out of my mind, it was slightly animalic and woody, and I can't remember which number it was, I think no. 6 or 7.
    If anyone here has any experience with this line and especially with no 6 or 7, it would be great to hear some impressions

Default Re: Roja Dove Semi-Bespoke Perfumes

I recently tried No. 11 which was a straight-forward leather. Straight-forward in the sense that its sole raison d'etre is to be the best 'pure' leather in existence. in my opinion it suceeds. Its anything but simple though. I found it fabulously rich and deep. I bought something else in the end and slightly regretted it but I never enquired about the price. I since understand that they are tremendously expensive (at least for my budget).
    I really can't stop thinking about No. 11. I found it that good. I hope one day by good fortune to be able to purchase a bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Gerald, what makes them 'semi-bespoke'?

From what I understand, and forgive me if I'm off the mark, the 19 'semi bespoke' fragrances are strictly limited in stock. I believe you buy a 250ml bottle (at about 1000 I think) and Roja's team takes your details. When you run out you can then get your bottle refilled. When the private stock runs out.....that's it, it's gone for good.

I think that's how it works.

I only sampled No. 11 as I was after a definitive leather. It was sublime and from what others have said the rest of the collection is also terrific.

Time to play the lottery.

Mike,
    mjcr is absolutely right. Each semi-bespoke exists only 50 times, then it is 'closed' or discontinued. If you're one of the 50 buyers, you can re-order the fragrance. The price is 1000 pounds and it's 250 ml pure perfume.
    I own No 5 and 6, and they're really exceptional.

Did you find out which one was the "slightly animalic and woody"? Was it the no. 6?

WTT Soul for Roja Dove Semi Bespoke Perfume

I loved 5,7 and 9 I recall. I don't remember which one of those was rated nr 1 but it was the most perfect thing I have ever smelled.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Did you find out which one was the "slightly animalic and woody"? Was it the no. 6?
    No 7 is the animalic one, I think. No 6 is very soft and sweet and focused on opoponax.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting concept. These sound dangerous, to even sample - sort of like those exclusive Le Labo's that I've gotten hung up on.

What do the bottles look like?

The bottles are very simple. Plain aluminium containers with a plastic cap like they are used in professional perfumery. Not exactly an eye candy for bottle lovers, but obviously here one pays for the juice only and not for a thrilling packaging
    Last edited by Gerald; 8th March 2010 at 08:05 AM.

I visited Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie at Harrods again today and re-tried his No. 11 semi-bespoke fragrance. Still wonderful, still out of my price range! I also tried No. 3 which again was sublime. Hard to describe but it had a magnificent strong citrus opening that was similar to Eau d'Hermes but several notches more refined. These fragrances really are the best I have ever had the pleasure of putting my nose to. The sheer quality of the ingredients is so immediate and compelling.

I have finally found two suitable substitutes for the incredible cool leather of No. 11. Bandit is very similar though 'hotter' and covered in dark floral notes. And surprisingly New York by Parfums de Nicolai also (on my skin at least) reveals a strikingly similar deep leather accord well into the drydown. Neither are exactly like No. 11 but definitely have enough of an affinity to keep me satisfied until I can afford to part with 1000.

The SA at the parfumerie told me No's 1 and 2 are now all gone. Some of the others are getting low too so if you've fallen in love with any of these masterpieces then it probably worth starting to save now!

I would love to know more about these but so far had no luck online ... any help would be appreciated

Not that I can afford them mind you but still it would be nice to know

Thanks

I didn't realise Roja Dove had these semi-bespoke perfumes, although at 1000 a go it makes the likes of Amouage, Xerjoff and Clive Christian almost look cheap

Their women's fragrances called Unspoken, Enslaved and Scandal (120+) are excellent, especially Ensllaved, so if I ever get down London I will have to pop in and have a good sniff at what they offer for men.

There is an auction on ebay at the moment for number 9 currently at 399