Code of Conduct

Thread: Gourmands!!

Default Gourmands!!

Which ones are your favorite? Apart from Angel and stuff...

I'm having a look at First In Fragrance and, since I can pay by bank transfer (which is better for my finances), I was hoping you could help me choose a nice, long lasting gourmand that I could find there (if it's in the middle range price wise, just better)...

Also, I didn't find any thread to discuss gourmands (if so, excuse moi again ), so here you go...

Thanks all,

Andrea

Default Re: Gourmands!!

Hi Andrea, I love gourmands as well. I haven't bought from that site before but here's a list of some gourmands I think you should try, obviously in sample form first!

Anything Payard
    Parfumerie General Un Crime Exotique
    Brandy by Brandy
    l'Artisan's Piment Brulant
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum, Louve
    biehl parfumkunstwerke eo1
    Kenzo Amour Indian Holi
    Jo Malone Blue Agave and Cacao
    Jo Malone Sweet Lime and Cedar (inspired by Thai food!)
    I Profumi di Firenze Specie di Medici

Many Comptoir Sud Pacifiques as well, if you can tolerate the sweetness of the Vanilles

I also love Cimabue by DSH

Oh, I also find that Chanel Eau Premiere has a gourmandy feel thanks to vanilla, what do you think?

Finally, let's not forget Reminiscence Notes Gourmands series: I have Do Re and Mi Fa.

Good luck and let us know what you find/love!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Mmmmhhhh... Might have to have a look at LuckyScents for those (mustn't... use... Visa... card), so that's why I was peeking at FIF (really good website with only niches!!)... Anybody sampled Montale Sweet Oriental Dream? Seems just what I'm looking for... )))

Mmmm... gourmands.

From a quick look at First in Fragrance, these are the ones I'm familiar with & would recommend trying:

• L'Artisan Tea for Two - I own this
    • Micallef Note Vanillee
    • Parfumerie Generale Aomassai (also Cozé) - I own this
    • Profumum Confetto (and others)

Other favorites:
    • Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé
    • Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    • Serge Lutens Douce Amère
    • Yves Rocher Néonatura Cocoon (cocoa, vanilla, patchouli... more sophisticated than it sounds, an inexpensive gem); also YR Bourbon Vanille for another inexpensive vanilla.
    Sniff and let sniff.

That means I need to make another sample order to FIF...

Thanks so much!

Hi! Thanks to VM I Hate Civet, I was recently introduced to Penhaligon's new one, Amaranthine. It is actually marketed as a floriental, but I really do feel it has a pronounced gourmand character (given that it contains green tea, cardamom, coriander oil, banana leaf, vanilla, condensed milk and tonka).

I am actually a bit obsessed with it right now.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Let me think...Favourite Gourmands are Safran Troublant,Tea for two,Angel,Lolita lempicka L,Borneo 1834...and I guess you could call Hypnotic Poison and Trouble gourmands...to a certain extent.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 16th October 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Dulcis in Fundo is one of the best I've ever tried.
    I blather on about it at the beginning of this thread.http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=224299

# Indult Tihota & dupe
    # Lostmarc'h Lann-Ael
    # L'Artisan Parfumeur Jour de Fête
    # Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    # L de Lolita Lempicka

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of gourmands but I'm horrendously picky.

I tend to like them paired with some woods or tobacco or clove or something to keep them from being too sweet.

My top picks (and I'm probably failing at your request to keep them in a middle-tier price range, sorry):

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (vanilla and clovey pipe tobacco)
    Hermes Ambe Narguile (amber and vanilla with apple-y pipe tobacco)
    Bond No 9 New Haarlem (coffee and creme brulee)
    Ava Luxe Cafe Noir (New Haarlem minus the creme brulee)
    Serge Lutens Arabie (cherries & tobacco over vanilla & woods)
    L'Artisan Ananas Fizz (not sure if this counts - peppery orange & pineapple over dark rum)

Be wary of the Montale gourmands - they all share the same super-super-crazy-sweet-little-girl-powdery vanilla base that I find overpowering and gross (but many love them for it)

Also worth checking are some of the vanilla-heavy Geurlains (Spirituese Double Vanille is the obvious choice, but I love the interplay of notes in 68).

Edit: Oh, yeah - and Ajne OM, like some magician chef managed to caramelize cedar and sandalwood...
    Last edited by rogalal; 16th October 2009 at 11:51 PM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I love both Angel and A*Men but have and love also the following:
    AG Eau de Charlotte
    Bulgari Omnia
    CdG Burnt Sugar, Rhubarb, Spicy Cocoa, Woody Coffee
    Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum
    L'Artisan Jour de Fête, Piment Brûlant, Poivre Piquant, Safran Troublant
    Serendipity 3 Serendipitous
    SL Bornéo 1834, Louve, Un Bois Vanille
    Yohji Homme
    Last edited by tigrushka; 17th October 2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added some
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Be wary of the Montale gourmands - they all share the same super-super-crazy-sweet-little-girl-powdery vanilla base that I find overpowering and gross (but many love them for it)
    Indeed...but if you actually like that sort of thing, their Chocolate Greedy is crazy over-the-top. Smells like chocolate cake batter + Nutella + roasted hazelnuts. Not synthetic smelling, either...it's smells totally edible, like a flavoring agent. It's an osmic joke, but it is fun...if you want to smell like dessert.
    Last edited by andylama; 17th October 2009 at 07:13 AM.

Dependent

Gourmands! mmm...

I use these:

L'Artisan Parfumeur L'eau du Navigateur : spices, coffee, incense, smells a little of rum as well, IMO. Not sure if this is considered a gourmand by others, but it does give me the vibe.

Yohji Homme : prominently coffee and rum, my absolute favorite! I find this to be such a light scent for a gourmand.

Serge Lutens Santal Blanc
    : fenugreek, black sesame (thanks to cpk for enlightening me), and as noted by others, has a milky texture to it. This one does not seem to be liked much on Basenotes, or maybe it is just the Men's forum.

L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine : Smells like dough.
    Last edited by MFJ; 17th October 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Lets talk food and drink. I wear Serendipitous, cocoa, tahitian vanilla and blood orange. Like wearing a chocolate cake with icing..
    Bond No 9 Coney Island... melon, guava, caramel,cinnamon, dark chocolate,sandalwood, musk, vanilla and cedar. Anyone for margharitas and ice cream???

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - delicious rich creme brulee vanilla, with a little licquorice too.

Smile Re: Gourmands!!

Lush have a gorgeous new fragrance out now called vanillary which is very gourmand x im slighly obsessed with it, its my new love )) xx

Aimez Moi Caron
    Un Bois Vanille Serge Lutens
    Ambre Narguille Hermes
    Immortelle l'Amour Ayala Moriel
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Thanks for all the recommendations!!

I do have the Vanillary solid perfume and, on me, it's a gourmand vanilla with a touch of smokiness that I love...

I do have a question regarding Tom Ford's Black Orchid... Would it fall in the category of gourmand? Because on me, it could... Wearing it right now and wishing I could "eat the smell"...

My favotire gourmand is Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain.
    I also love Ambre Narguille, New Haarlem, Louve, Missonni, and Piment Brulant
    Of the ones I have tested only, I like Serendipituous, Aomassai, Madera, Oriental Brualnt, Alessandro by Mazzolari (yummy!), Alessandro and Oriental Brulant being the only ones I find FBW.
    Evenstar

Just read the compo of Alessandro and, indeed, it sounds yummy!!! Might have to include it in my "gourmand sample list"...

I highly recommend Neil Morris Cafe. It's lovely..comforting, cheerful and different.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Smile Re: Gourmands!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - delicious rich creme brulee vanilla, with a little licquorice too.
    I love this, too. I think the woody notes save this from being too sweet. "It's just right".

There's so many delicious suggestions here already! You may want to sample Ginestet Botrytis, Pantelleria Jailia and Frapin 1270 & Caravelle Épicée as well. They are all very rich, decadent gourmands. Also, Keiko Mecheri has a scent called Gourmandise that is very nice to wear over Loukhoum.

By Kilian's Love
    Guerlain's Gourmand Coquin

Both are heavenly