Code of Conduct

Default Face Care Routine Advice

I've got a few questions regarding my face care routine.

I use a clay mask 2 times a week. I understand that it's best to wash the face (with face wash) 1st before applying the mask. However do I need to wash (with face wash) my face again after rinsing off the mask ? My basic routine is wash, tone and moisturize which i do twice daily.

Secondly, i also use a face scrub twice a week. Do i need to wash my face (with face wash) again after i rinse of the scrub ?

Thank you for your replies.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

Default Re: Face Care Routine Advice

Hey Jon,

I scrub and mask once in 2 weeks, sometimes once a week. I guess it depends on the mask you use. But generally I don't think there is a need to rewash using a cleanser, especially after scrubbing (I may be wrong, so please correct me!). Once in a while, I treat myself to a facial, and the beauticians normally just wash away the mask with water and then use a toner after. I tend to mask right after I scrub as well, if that helps. I'd like to hear what the pros have to say, since I generally just follow the steps used by beauticians, or those told to me by SAs.

Basenotes Institution

I know this probably sounds excessive - but I like to cleanse after using masks and scrubs . Some scrubs have annoying bits in them that are hard to get off and clay masks tend to be messy so I do tend to cleanse after masks.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I usually cleanse my face with a scrub, then apply a toner and also moisturize irregularly, meaning that it can happen every other week or a few times a day, with a very low-cost ad no-name, yet naturist and calming face cream based on beeswax and honey, which is heaven to me, whenever my skin gets too dry, irritated or strained. Apart from that, I don't do much for my face, I admit.

You might want to check Paula Begoun's site, www.cosmeticscop.com for face routines and the best ways to use your products but, out of experience, I recommend not to overdo in the washing, as it might sensitize your skin (ie. dry it out and irritate it) making it more prone to wrinkles and acne.

If you're oily, I indeed recommend using a clay mask once or twice a week, or Paula's Carbon Mask, which can do wonders to avoid extra oiliness. Also, instead of using a scrub, which can scratch your skin, I always recommend using BHA (salycilic acid) to gently exfoliate, as BHA can penetrate the pores and deep cleanse to avoid pimples and blackheads.

Ask for samples on the website and maybe you'll be as thrilled as I always am when I use her products!

Best,

Andrea

JoNnY,

This won't be the first time I've given you some of this advice. Given your posts here, I'm really concerned you're not giving your skin a chance to settle down at all.

Twice a week face masks is too often. Once a week is enough, and use a clay and sulphur mask. By using twice a week you're just drying out your skin and promoting oil production - which is why you're using the mask in the first place. So stop. Just rinse off the mask, no need to cleanse further.

Face scrub. No, just rinse after the scrub, no need to cleanse. If your face doesn't feel super clean after scrubbing, change your product. Again, twice a week is too often, and I won't go into the details of the evils of topical scrubs. By all means exfoliate, but I'd prefer you were using chemical exfoliation, such as Paula's Choice BHA Liquid.

Please.

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like there will be no cleansing for me after exfoliation.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I know this probably sounds excessive - but I like to cleanse after using masks and scrubs . Some scrubs have annoying bits in them that are hard to get off and clay masks tend to be messy so I do tend to cleanse after masks.
    So did I, but now I use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Rejuvenator microdermabrasion kit with a replaceable head that contains microcrystals *with* my cleanser. Works better than regular scrubs. I have sensitive skin, love it, and no gunky stuff to deal with. Replacement puffs are available.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...84&catid=75339

I also use a sugar scub/mask from time to time. Gently rub table sugar into wet face, let dry for a few minutes and rinse off. (Avoid eye area.) It makes my skin feel amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    So did I, but now I use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Rejuvenator microdermabrasion kit with a replaceable head that contains microcrystals *with* my cleanser. Works better than regular scrubs. I have sensitive skin, love it, and no gunky stuff to deal with. Replacement puffs are available.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...84&catid=75339

I also use a sugar scub/mask from time to time. Gently rub table sugar into wet face, let dry for a few minutes and rinse off. (Avoid eye area.) It makes my skin feel amazing.
    Oh sugar ! How sweet of you

I won't dare try that though.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 19th October 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    JoNnY,
    ... I'm really concerned you're not giving your skin a chance to settle down at all.

By using twice a week you're just drying out your skin and promoting oil production - which is why you're using the mask in the first place.

Face scrub. No, just rinse after the scrub, no need to cleanse. If your face doesn't feel super clean after scrubbing, change your product. Again, twice a week is too often...
    Take this man's advice!!

I used to have some acne and went to a dermatologist for it awhile back. Like JoNnY, I was masking, scrubbing and exfoliating very often, thinking it would help.

And the dermatologist told me the exact same thing, almost word for word. Perhaps Dr_Rudi is a dermatologist?

Now I use one of those Clarisonic vibrating brushes about once every 1.5-2 weeks, and other than that, just cleanse, tone and moisturize with plain old Cetaphil.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th October 2009 at 04:47 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

If you like doing a mask, but are looking for something a bit more gentle, try a yogurt and turmeric mask. It is fantastic for the skin...yogurt gobbles up the dead skin cells and turmeric brightens your face.
    Just mix together 1/4c plain yogurt and 1tsp turmeric. Smooth over face with a cotton round and let sit for 5-10min. Take a warm damp wash cloth and gently wipe the mask/cleanser off. Repeat, rinsing rag clean, until it's all removed. Pat your face dry and apply moisturizer.

your skin has a delicate layer of lipids/amino acids/oils that it needs in order to take care of itself. Overwashing can destroy that (the acid mantle), so I'd say just rinse with water. When I use a mask, I do it at night. I've washed with cleanser in the morning, so I usually cleanse with a face wipe, either the Korres Pomegranate wipe or the Josie Maran argan oil cleansing wipe. I apply the mask (fresh black tea instant perfecting mask is a recent fave for moisturizing purposes) then rinse with water and follow with the rest of my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    JoNnY,

This won't be the first time I've given you some of this advice. Given your posts here, I'm really concerned you're not giving your skin a chance to settle down at all.

Twice a week face masks is too often. Once a week is enough, and use a clay and sulphur mask. By using twice a week you're just drying out your skin and promoting oil production - which is why you're using the mask in the first place. So stop. Just rinse off the mask, no need to cleanse further.

Face scrub. No, just rinse after the scrub, no need to cleanse. If your face doesn't feel super clean after scrubbing, change your product. Again, twice a week is too often, and I won't go into the details of the evils of topical scrubs. By all means exfoliate, but I'd prefer you were using chemical exfoliation, such as Paula's Choice BHA Liquid.

Please.

Thanks Dr_Rudi for your advice. I agree with you. Our skins and faces should rest every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mamakat7 View Post
    If you like doing a mask, but are looking for something a bit more gentle, try a yogurt and turmeric mask. It is fantastic for the skin...yogurt gobbles up the dead skin cells and turmeric brightens your face.
    Just mix together 1/4c plain yogurt and 1tsp turmeric. Smooth over face with a cotton round and let sit for 5-10min. Take a warm damp wash cloth and gently wipe the mask/cleanser off. Repeat, rinsing rag clean, until it's all removed. Pat your face dry and apply moisturizer.
    Won't the turmeric give a yellow cast to the skin?

Im soon 55, but still had some acne-like things going on (have always had oily skin).
    I used to do exfoliations, masks, special cleansings, special creams for this and that on my face, but have found out that the more I leave my skin alone, and dont "upset" it with too many remedies, the more it has calmed down, so to say.
    Now I only use lukewarm water in the morning, and after removing make-up at evening, I use a light cleansing mousse, and rinse with lukewarm water. Then a small amount of a light night cream.
    A bit OT, maybe, but I just have to mention my SIL who just passed 70. She has the skin of a baby, and wrinkles like a 35 year-old. She NEVER washes her face with anything but lukewarm water, and have never done...(ok, she never uses cream of any kind, or makeup, but still...
    Another thing to think about is to avoid contact with skin and hands all the time. I, for instance, always have my chin leaning in my hand when sitting before the pc, tv, etc. Lots of bacteria there that can make your skin upset, too, esp. if youre suffering from acne.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan