Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Japon Noir by Tom Ford - does anyone smell anything else besides the smoke?

I retested this again last night (thanks Futami) and just like the first time I smelled it over a year ago, all I get from this scent is lots of smoke.

I like smoky scents. I wear Avignon, Fumidus, Tea for Two - so by no means am I sensitive to smoke in my fragrances. But the smoke in JN smells just like those portable canned heat containers (the ones in the aluminum round metal containers) that you use to heat steam table pans or when you're camping. It's perhaps the most fuel-centric smoke note I've encountered in perfumery.

It also is ALL I smell when I wear JN. Maybe it's my skin chemistry that brings the smoke to the forefront? Nonetheless I know that the official notes of JN are: spices, purple patchouli, porto noir, night blooming jasmine, leather, amber, vetiver. I smell NONE of those.

For those of you who've tried this, or own this - what do you smell?

BTW - does anyone know what 'porto noir' is?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th October 2009 at 06:21 PM.

Default Re: Japan Noir by Tom Ford - does anyone smell anything else besides the smoke?

I definitely get the patchouli and the leather and perhaps the amber, but I do get a lot of smoke, but it's the kind of smoke I like - it really does remind me of Japanese style incense. I like it much more than the CdG Incense series. In fact of all the TF series that I have, this is the one I wear the most often.

Interesting is that Tuscan Leather is more about smoke to me, but the kind of smoke from a cigarette than the smoke from incense!

Default Re: Japan Noir by Tom Ford - does anyone smell anything else besides the smoke?

smells like powdery smooth candy to me...some like black XS or a Durbano amethyst or H.M. kinds..it's pretty powdery in it's sillage too... smoky, well, i guess im interpreting that note as powdery smooth note...i gave away my sample after one wear....not my type of scent..
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd March 2009 at 06:57 PM.

I love Japon Noir and may buy a bottle as soon as my decant is empty. I smell fresh ginger, wood, resinous amber with a little patchouli and leather. I consider it a light woody/spicy scent. Love the way it smells on my clothes days later. Doesn't remind me of smoke or Sterno, I'll sniff some next time I am at a catered event.

I have no idea what 'porto noir' is either.

Mike,

It's funny that you should post this as I was thinking of starting a thread about the very same thing. See the first few times I tried Japon Noir. All I could smell was smoke and lots of it. In fact it actually tickled my nose when smelling it. Now I dont smell the smoke as much, its still smoky but the campfire and burning woods are not there.

What I smell now is a very spicy opening with some florals and then leather coming into play later in the drydown.

I have never had such a change of perception on any fragrance before. So I'm thinking my my nose has definitely changed (or maybe I broke it) LOL.

Mmmm... Well, to my nose, I can also faintly detect an accord of sweet-smelling bullshit...

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone - at least I'm not the only one who feels like my nose is broken.

I get the patchouli, but I find the scent reminds me of a toy I had when I was younger... there's something almost "rubber" in its feel, with a dose of incense. I have a 4ml sample, and there are times when I can't stop sniffing it, but then there are those moments when it just seems too odd of a fragrance. It's definitely unique.

Powdery sweet candy. I smell that too, jenson. I don't smell the smoke though. Maybe I need to sample this one again.

I think it smells like Amouage Dia for Men, but not as smooth. Does anyone else think so? Maybe that's the musk?
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Mike, I'm curious - would you say this is anything like CB's Burning Leaves?

I think it smells very much like another Private Blend fragrance, Bois Rouge... but I like Bois Rouge much better because of its superior longevity.

Jim

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Mike, I'm curious - would you say this is anything like CB's Burning Leaves?
    No.

Yes, both are smoky. But JN is a very synethetic, almost fuel inspired kind of after-burn smoke. BL is linear, very natural and realistic smell of burning maple leaves. I prefer BL.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No.

Yes, both are smoky. But JN is a very synethetic, almost fuel inspired kind of after-burn smoke. BL is linear, very natural and realistic smell of burning maple leaves. I prefer BL.
    Hmm, perhaps Japon Noir is a lost member of the CdG's Synthetic series - Burning Tar ( because Detroit didn't quite fit in with the theme of the Incense Series ).

I'm actually kind of curious about this one now due to the highly varied reviews. Some make it sound like just my type of thing, some make it sound just plain nasty...
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 15th March 2009 at 06:55 PM.

I love Japon Noir so much, I bought it in spite of it being waaaay out of my price range. I know it's not revolutionary or groundbreaking, and possibly that there are many scents out there that smell a bit like it, but nothing smells like Japon Noir except for Japon Noir, and that makes it so exquisite to me.

I smell some smoke indeed, but it's not the main character in this play! There's ginger in the topnotes, and there are sweet spices in the midnotes. I think the smokescreen adds to the mystery of this scent.

Love it.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I love Japon Noir so much, I bought it in spite of it being waaaay out of my price range. I know it's not revolutionary or groundbreaking, and possibly that there are many scents out there that smell a bit like it, but nothing smells like Japon Noir except for Japon Noir
    I was going to buy it as well, because it was like a more-affordable Dia (for men). It's much cheaper than Dia, though. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my pocketbook), it's not sold where I live. Wanna get rid of your bottle?
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

hmmm weird, I dont see any similarities between Dia and Japon Noir. Just goes to show how smell is very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I was going to buy it as well, because it was like a more-affordable Dia (for men). It's much cheaper than Dia, though. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my pocketbook), it's not sold where I live. Wanna get rid of your bottle?
    No way, hozee
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

resuscitating this thread, as I've recently acquired a bottle of Japon Noir, and for the life of me all I smell is smokey Dior Homme.

Not sayin' it's a bad thing at all though!

Default Re: Japon Noir by Tom Ford - does anyone smell anything else besides the smoke?

With Japon Noir, I get a sweet and smoky accord of jasmine and patchouli that is accented with spices, mostly cinnamon. There's ginger and citrus up there in the top notes too, but it's fleeting. The drydown is subtle with dominantly earthy patchouli and amber that is slightly leathery and powdery. Like stereotomy said back then, I don't think smoke is the main character. I quite like it.

Strangely, I remembered that the first thing I smelled about half a year ago was lots of smoke / birch tar too. I recently got another sample spray and my reactions have been quite different. (and positive)
    Last edited by moltening; 18th October 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Default Re: Japon Noir by Tom Ford - does anyone smell anything else besides the smoke?

I thought Tom Ford Japan Noir smells very similar to CdG Oarzazate. Japan Noir is one of my three favorites of the TF series along with Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille. Japan Noir is a little milder or softer in in its scent, but it kinda reminds me of the most often overlooked Comme des Garcons incense - Oarzazate. The similarity was the primary reason why I didn't buy a bottle because it is just so much more costly than the CdG for a very similar affect.