Code of Conduct

Default Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri

What are you thoughts on this scent?

Default Re: Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri

It smells like the name says, that said it's quite lovely in a Victorian sort of way. If you like Diptyque's early fragrances this could be a good choice. Santa Maria Novella has a charming way with nostalgic-type scents. Their musk is quite lovely, too.

in reading comments on Pot Pourri it sure seems to be more of a love it or hate it scent... not a lot of middle ground.

Musks - Just bought MSN Gold Musk as a blind buy... great "soapy" musk.

Top shelf; light, classical !
    Italy 100 years ago but still popular there!
    I love it's smell in the bathroom. On me it lasts as s long as any classical 'Acqua di Colonia' lasts: through my breakfast and perhaps the first hour at my office desk. A good friend of mine uses it to give his bedsheets (or hair) a special treat. - successfully so, I might want to add.
    Like their Lavender Potpourri is a uniscent.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

On me, Potpourri is a complex, powerful scent.
    Note that SMN also makes a mixture of leaves and roots steeped in scents, which is a traditional potpourri format. People used that to scent (fumigate) their homes. And it is very powerful . The popularity of that led them to make a slightly toned-down version as a wearable scent.
    What I found interesting is that the first time I sniffed in (in London, in temperate weather) I found it to be almost too much for me. The second time was in Rome, in hot and muggy weather. I thought, "this will be a disaster, but I'm here, what the heck." Well, it was big alright but not oppressive. It actually showed well in that setting. For me, it is a scent I have to grow into.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Despite positive comments, I'd be disinclined to try a scent called pot pourri due to the association with those god-awful cheaply scented rose-and-lavender leafy things. "Pot pourri" is the sort of insult I reserve for special cases of *really* wanting to put down a 'fume.
    *Cough*Montale Aoud Red Flowers*Cough*

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

SMN isn't like that, veuve_amiot. It is deep, earthy, spicy. Those roots and whatnot have been steeped in a very dark brew. I wasn't kidding when I said a jar of that could fumigate a room, after a plague.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I've seen this scent compared with the Diptyque Eau Trois (discontinued, alas). I would have to agree that the dry and resinous natures of the two do relate to each other easily. Eau Trois, however, has a certain waxy-woody note that does not have a counterpart in Pot Pourri. I don't think that SMN Pot Pourri smells anything like that cheap crap with shriveled rosebuds in it. It goes back to a version of herbal room-scenter that is way older than the Victorian era, which is what most of the cheaper ones strive to evoke. More like the mixtures of herbs and resins strewn about temples and shrines in ancient days.

Exactly, Jardanel. You have described the character of it very well.
    odysseusm

Thanks, odysseusm!

Maybe I was a Vestal (but not a virgin!) in those olden days.

Quote Originally Posted by jardanel View Post
    thanks, odysseusm!

Maybe i was a vestal (but not a virgin!) in those olden days.
    hah!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 19th October 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    odysseusm