Code of Conduct

Default The Green Chypres bunch: Lancme`s Trophe, Lancme's (1969) and Homme de Gres

I had the chance of trying them within a short period of time and came to the conclusion that resemblances are notorious: crisp hesperidic notes morphing into indolic notes. Trophe seems like a masculinized version of the original , but both drydowns are very similar, as a matter of fact, to the point at wich the last one can claim the masculine character that makes it unisex.

Regarding Homme de Gres, even though analogous in structure, these are limited to hesperidic (citric) top notes, the difference being mid and base notes reminiscing Cabochard's base notes. It would seem that Homme's perfumist combined the indolic character of Cabochard with citric notes proper of classic mid XX century eaux targetted to men, like Roudniska's Eau Sauvage and Moustache.

Just to wrap it up, if the reader is fond of Trophe but unavailable of getting it and / or used to wear Homme de Gres but regrets Homme's discontinuation, Lancme's might be a pretty good option.
    Last edited by Pollux; 18th October 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: The Green Chypres bunch: Lancme`s Trophe, Lancme's (1969) and Homme de Gres

Nice post, Pollux, thanks.

Default Re: The Green Chypres bunch: Lancme`s Trophe, Lancme's (1969) and Homme de Gres

Thnx for sharing your thought Pollux!

my admiration for Homme de Gres is growing with each wear. it's truly a stunning fragrance. and to know it;s in the same genre as Lancome trophee is truly encouraging to know! Xmen still has bottles of those lancomes, might as well pick it up while it's available once again, Thnx!!!!

And may I also suggest...if you like O de Lancome, you may also like Dior's Eau Sauvage or Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    And may I also suggest...if you like O de Lancome, you may also like Dior's Eau Sauvage or Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.

Pollux did mention Eau Suavage in his earlier post arent we all glad to be on the same page

+1 on Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte, but, it's more about oranges than citrus + blade of green leaf (as i refer Homme de Gres type scents)...hesperidic, is tht what we call it..?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Nice post, Pollux.

I actually got O de Lancome last week and it was my SotM yesterday. I actually find it more exciting and longer lasting than (today's) Eau Sauvage.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So Homme de Gres has Cabochard-like leathery drydown?
    Is that waht you mean, Pollux?

In that case I better would search some Homme de Gres!!!
    (Also I`d like to know more about O pour homme by Lancome)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Pollux did mention Eau Suavage in his earlier post arent we all glad to be on the same page

+1 on Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte, but, it's more about oranges than citrus + blade of green leaf (as i refer Homme de Gres type scents)...hesperidic, is tht what we call it..?
    Oops, I must have read a little too quickly!

Regarding Ed'OV--sure, there is alot of very juicy orange at the start. However, very quickly it turns green, green, green, and it has a lovely leathery moss base that is a tad drier than OdL's. Mmm, makes me want to wear it today even though it will be chilly!
    Last edited by Asha; 19th October 2009 at 01:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Are you talking about O or O Pour Homme Pollux?

mike is raising a good point, I was wondering that myself.
    I have Trophee and O Pour Homme. Of the two, I find Trophee to be the more powerful. I can't say that I got a pronounced indolic note in either of them, but it has been a while since I've tried those.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    So Homme de Gres has Cabochard-like leathery drydown?
    Is that waht you mean, Pollux?

In that case I better would search some Homme de Gres!!!
    (Also I`d like to know more about O pour homme by Lancome)
    Basically, I find that they share notes that I identify with the leather - like notes in Cabochard. When I try it, I have the feeling that it is somehow a citric version of Cabochard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Are you talking about O or O Pour Homme Pollux?
    No, original, from 1969, and described as unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    mike is raising a good point, I was wondering that myself.
    I have Trophee and O Pour Homme. Of the two, I find Trophee to be the more powerful. I can't say that I got a pronounced indolic note in either of them, but it has been a while since I've tried those.
    Ody, you are right, Trophee is more powerful than the original , but, as it gets to the the dry down, they share accords. In terms of similarities, Trophee is more akin to Homme de Gres, but IMHO these two share accords with original. I would kindly appreciate your opinions on this, since it would enrich this thread and shed some light as to my observation on indolic notes.

Regarding the one for men, ( Pour Homme) it does not have anything to do with the rest of the fragrances that I commented.
    Last edited by Pollux; 19th October 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo / Clarification