Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Default For my fathers birthday suggestions

    54 years old, conservative person. Sweet scents are a NO NO! He used to wear Pino Silvestre.

    I'm thinking Givenchy Gentleman, maybe, Azzaro PH. In fact, I don't see him wear anything, or anything that would suit him.

    He once sprayed himself with my Givenchy Very Irresistible for men, and seemd to like it. I'd want something for him that is not in my own collection though.

    I'm thinking - dark, woody.

    Advices?

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    748

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    probaj da vidis za John Varvatos, Kenneth Cole - Black ili YSL - M7

  3. #3

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    probaj da vidis za John Varvatos, Kenneth Cole - Black ili YSL - M7
    M7 imam, no uzet ću u obzir ove navedene. Hvala.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    748

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    nista buraz

  5. #5

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    i just got my dad a habit rouge from ebay.....i dont think he likes it he dosent wear it....he only wears the fake himalaya i got him....gonna have to find another fake one lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

  6. #6

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Maybe Eau Sauvage, Chanel PM (although slightly sweet), Monsieur de Givenchy, Aramis Classic and YSL PH (also the Concentree version).

  7. #7

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Encre Noir
    Gucci ph1
    CdG Jaisalmer
    Tam Dao
    Guerlain Vetiver
    L'instant
    Last edited by JonB; 19th October 2009 at 12:56 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    A classic Bay Rum scent sounds like could be just the thing. However, if you are wanting something a little more special try Profumum Antico Caruso.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  9. #9

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

  10. #10

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    I really don't think you can go past Guerlain Vetiver. Not 'dark', but probably the answer to your problem.

  11. #11

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Thank you all!

  12. #12
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    For something dark and non-sweet, I will second Encre Noire.

    For something dark and woody, the first thing that comes to my mind is Feminite du Bois EDP. I would recommend the older Shiseido version - richer and "darker", and I think it can be found online at pretty reasonable prices compared to the newer Serge Lutens version.


    Here is what it looks like:

    Last edited by MFJ; 19th October 2009 at 10:29 AM.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,730

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    54 years old, conservative person. Sweet scents are a NO NO! He used to wear Pino Silvestre.

    I'm thinking Givenchy Gentleman, maybe, Azzaro PH. In fact, I don't see him wear anything, or anything that would suit him.


    So why doesn't he wear Pino Silvestre anymore?
    But Azzaro pH and GG are good options to which I might also add Grey Flannel and Bowling Green both from Geoffrey Beene.

  14. #14

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    So why doesn't he wear Pino Silvestre anymore?
    But Azzaro pH and GG are good options to which I might also add Grey Flannel and Bowling Green both from Geoffrey Beene.
    Simple, cannot find Pino here, wich makes me sad cause I'd use it myself...

    tnx for advices

  15. #15
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Dunhill 1934 - smells like a dad, in the best sense of the word!

    Disclaimer: I'm 29 and with no kids, but I wear it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  16. #16

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Boss Selections and Soul smells wonderful on my Dad.

  17. #17

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    I'm a big believer in giving someone a gift that they would like. No need to "educate" someone on their birthday or whatever occasion.

    Do they have Agua Brava there? Similar to Pino Silvestre. But that can slightly backfire. Same stuff, but not really.

    Ken Russell makes some solid classic advice. The new Givenchy Gentleman is NOT worth it IMO.

    If he liked Very Irresistable what's the problem really? So what it's in your collection? Do you wear it that frequently?

    I know, it can somehow seem "less" thoughtful also by simply giving him the Very Irr...but consider how carefuk you and most BN member are about sampling scents, blind buys...he has sampled that one and like it...

    In scent history, have fathers and sons worn the same scent? I think so.

    Take it from someone who lost his father eight years ago and still has dreams about him and would do anything to hug him one more time...you might want to have one scent with him that you both have in your collection.

    Eternal Memory...
    Last edited by ortho123; 19th October 2009 at 02:44 PM.

  18. #18

    Thumbs up Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    My thoughts are

    Bel Ami
    Equipage
    Polo
    Aramis
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Creed Portugal
    Pierre Cardin
    Yatagan

  19. #19
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    I'm a big believer in giving someone a gift that they would like. No need to "educate" someone on their birthday or whatever occasion.

    Do they have Agua Brava there? Similar to Pino Silvestre. But that can slightly backfire. Same stuff, but not really.

    Ken Russell makes some solid classic advice. The new Givenchy Gentleman is NOT worth it IMO.

    If he liked Very Irresistable what's the problem really? So what it's in your collection? Do you wear it that frequently?

    I know, it can somehow seem "less" thoughtful also by simply giving him the Very Irr...but consider how carefuk you and most BN member are about sampling scents, blind buys...he has sampled that one and like it...

    In scent history, have fathers and sons worn the same scent? I think so.

    Take it from someone who lost his father eight years ago and still has dreams about him and would do anything to hug him one more time...you might want to have one scent with him that you both have in your collection.

    Eternal Memory...
    This is the better advice, in my humble opinion.

  20. #20
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,730

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Very well said, ortho123... I lost my dad when I was 7. And the only scent I associate him with is tobacco cuz he smoked a lot. I would have given anything from my wardrobe if only he's alive right now...

  21. #21

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    here is what I am thinking

    Knize Ten
    PdN New York
    Creeds BdP
    Encre Noire
    Dunhill 1934
    Paco Rabbanne
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  22. #22

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Gucci Pour Homme
    Hèrmes Equipage
    M7

  23. #23

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    My top three scents that smell like *a man*, nothing more and nothing less:

    Aramis
    Rive Gauche
    Guerlain Vetiver

    I also think Eau Sauvage would be a good fit for your dad, although I don't wear it myself.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th October 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  24. #24

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    I'd go with Guerlain Vetiver, I bought it for my dad and he like it so much he finally threw away the polo that has been sitting in the medicine cabinet for more than 20 years (no joke).

  25. #25

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Thank you all, both thumbs up Ortho!

  26. #26

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    That Guerlain Vetiver seems like a good one. Sounds like artemesia has already been where you're going.
    I lean towards Chanel PM, created same year he was born, but it could be too sweet.
    Habit Rouge will freak him out.

    Aramis Havana?
    Odori Cuoio?
    T'erre Hermes?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th October 2009 at 11:51 PM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    here is what I am thinking

    Knize Ten
    PdN New York
    Creeds BdP
    Encre Noire
    Dunhill 1934
    Paco Rabbanne

    i actually love those suggestion

  28. #28
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Aramis
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  29. #29

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Azzaro PH
    Polo
    Aramis
    Kouros

  30. #30
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Smile Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    I was going to suggest Habit Rouge EDP but since he likes dark and woody perhaps Encre Noire.

  31. #31

    Wink Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Creeds Bois du Portugal is still the king of my small collection,followed by Jaipur EDP,Dior Homme Intense and Guerlain l'Instant Extreme.
    If you can get it;try the new Fahrenheit Absolute.
    My suggestions are based on the fact that those scents make me feel happy;and the fact that my age is 54 at the moment.

    Have a nice day.

  32. #32

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Moji predlozi su definitivno :

    1.Zino Davidoff ( sa njim nekako nema greske kod te starije generacije , ja sam mom caletu kupio i covek ga obozava )
    2.Azarro PH
    3.Lui Rochas ( ako mozes da dodjes do njega )
    4.John Varvatos ( mozda i najbolja opcija trenutno )
    5.Antaeus
    6.Guerlain L'instant
    7.Givenchy Gentlman

  33. #33

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Boss Selections and Soul smells wonderful on my Dad.
    SA recommended Boss Selections today, I was on a verge of taking it...but in the end Paco Rabbane PH prevailed. It has this certain herbal note in it. My father loves it, mother was thrilled

  34. #34

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Moji predlozi su definitivno :

    1.Zino Davidoff ( sa njim nekako nema greske kod te starije generacije , ja sam mom caletu kupio i covek ga obozava )
    2.Azarro PH
    3.Lui Rochas ( ako mozes da dodjes do njega )
    4.John Varvatos ( mozda i najbolja opcija trenutno )
    5.Antaeus
    6.Guerlain L'instant
    7.Givenchy Gentlman
    Givenchy je bio nekako jako drvenast, stvarno je bio pri vrhu odabira, no onda sam primjetio taj klasični Paco i rekao ma to je to!

  35. #35

    Default Re: For my fathers birthday suggestions

    Dobar je Paco PH nisi nista pogresio , klasicni zeleni parfem isto tako bih ti rekao da probas Gucci Envy ... to je to ... nadam se da ce mu se svideti pozzzz

Similar Threads

  1. WINNER Announced-Fathers Day Fragrance Contest-WINNER Announced.
    By Otto in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 19th June 2008, 12:54 PM
  2. Azzaro - Father's Day beckons
    By manicboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th June 2008, 03:06 PM
  3. Basenotes birthday club?
    By tiff in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th April 2006, 07:32 PM
  4. my birthday is tuesday!! any suggestions for fall?
    By Ren in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd September 2005, 10:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000