Code of Conduct

Thread: Cyclamen.

Default Cyclamen.

What does this smell like? I have the women's Presence by Mont Blanc, and it's listed as a note. This frag has a chalky tonka quality, and I'm wondering if the cyclamen is having this effect. I don't get much of a floral presence otherwise.

Default Re: Cyclamen.

All of the cyclamen plants I have encountered were odorless, for the most part. So, like iris. there may be an extract, absolute or 'butter' made from the roots (I am not sure if it really exists, though) and an artificial aromachemical for the blossom and/or foliage.
    Last edited by Asha; 19th October 2009 at 04:31 AM.

Yes, cyclamen flowers are odorless except for a slightly green note. Cyclamen aldehyde from the Perfumer's Apprentice has a very nice, light floral scent. I suspect this aldehyde is what is referred to as "cyclamen" in commercial perfume notes.

Some cyclamen flowers do have a scent - I grow two species of hardy cyclamen in my garden some autumn flowering (Cyclamen hederifolium) and some spring (Cyclamen coum): both are fantastically scented. Quite unlike the tiny faded scent you get from the big florists varieties.

The scent itself is beautifully transparent, light floral. A little like lily of the valley, but sweeter and lighter. It isn't obvious - you need to be prepared to crawl about near them to appreciate it, but if you pick a few flowers they can fill a room with scent for a few hours.

I think cyclamen aldehyde is a fair match to it. So far as I am aware there isn't an extract of the cyclamen flowers of any useful kind available to perfumers (though I'd love to be proved wrong on that if anyone knows better).
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I must add that regular hybrid cyclamen plants, that appear to be odourless, has a faint but very particular smell. Hidrocarbons, overheated engines and grease....

I also find that smell on a particular orchid called Encyclia flabellifera. It is quite industrial but pleasent.

Cyclamens DO have a scent! It's very faint in potted plants, but it's amazing in wild flowers! I once had a walk in the mountains and the forest exploded with fragrance from tiny pink and crimson flowers growing in the underwood! It's hard to describe- I like to define it both bold and shy, green and sweet, yes, transparent but kind of burning... You can detect it quite easily in the opening of Tilleuls D'Orsay.

I must not have been exposed to the wild variety as I hardly detect an odor from the ones i commonly come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    All of the cyclamen plants I have encountered were odorless, for the most part. So, like iris. there may be an extract, absolute or 'butter' made from the roots (I am not sure if it really exists, though) and an artificial aromachemical for the blossom and/or foliage.
    Some cyclamens have a lovely, sweet fragrance, but in commercial breeding, this is often eliminated. However, even in florist cyclamens or cyclamens sold in nurseries, if you sniff the individual plants you will sometimes find one that retains the beautiful cyclamen fragrance.