Code of Conduct

Default Your least favourite notes and how you were won over...

I have never liked leather dominant fragrances, but I tried Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris today and was totally won over. It's lovely and soft, with a touch of gorgeous buttery iris, and finishes with a beautiful, powdery sweet leather with a very slightly smoky aura. I'm not going to run out and buy it, but I feel very pleased that I've found a leather perfume I really enjoy.

How about everyone else? Which notes have always turned you off, and which perfumes brought you back from the dark side?

I've always hated patchouli, the closest I've got to enjoying it so far is in Black Aoud!

Default Re: Your least favourite notes and how you were won over...

mint...but i enjoy Cartier's Roadster now
    Last edited by Young Dro; 19th October 2009 at 02:44 PM.

I'm with you nwatts88 on leather fragrances. But I haven't come around to leather notes as you have. I really dislike wearing anything with birch tar in it. The only way I can enjoy this ingredient is in T-Gel anti-dandruff shampoo. It's in my hair and my olfactory organs for 2 -3 minutes and then I rinse it out along with the flakes from my scalp.
    I once owned Knize 10 and sold it off soon after a few wearings. I also hate the smell of gasoline and for some reason I associate birch tar and petroleum products. Strangely enough, I really do like the smell of pine.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th October 2009 at 02:56 PM.

Cumin.

Hated everything that even had a trace of cumin in it...I couldn't understand why anyone would want to smell like curry and sweat. Then, for some unknown reason, my appreciation for Declaration turned into mad love. I always waited for the cumin topnotes to fade...and then I realized that the reason I liked it so much was actual the cumin all along.

I used to not like immortelle and thought it smelled "off," but I've since done a 180 and some of my favorites are immortelle heavy (Dior Eau Noire, HdP Marquis de Sade)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Immortelle is my worst nightmare... Sables, ieuww... Eau Noire, yuck! Patchouli's no favourite either... I don't think I'll ever grow to love these two notes.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Generally I don't get along with tuberose scents (to put it mildly) but I love some scents despite their tuberose note like for example Annick Goutal Passion and SL Cèdre and Datura Noir.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I went through a lot of leather scents before Creed's REL won me over. I've always found leathers over the top and harsh, or old and worn....while REL is smooth, clean and fresh, like a new jacket.

Incense was another turn off until I ordered a sample of Tauer's LDDM. It's creamy and smooth, instead of smoky and church-like.

I'm still waiting for an oud that agrees with me.

Cinnamon.
    I thought Dunhill Edition would change all that, but no cake.
    I Still hate Obsession, z-14, Costes, and a bunch of other frags because of cinnamon. I'm keeping my bottle of dunhill Edition "Just in case" I Forget that I hate cinnamon. :|
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Patchouli - and I'm still waiting to be won over.
    Can anyone suggest a patchouli dominant fragrance that might win me over. I hate being a 'notist'

Anise, anise, anise. Never had an issue with any other notes but I've always hated black licorice since I was a kid. I may like a cologne with it as long as it's subdued or covered so that you can't smell it clearly.

So far the only chocolate fragrance I've found to my liking is Borneo 1834. Which is interesting, because I'm not much of a Lutens fan.

Hmmmm....... Good topic. I'm going to have to think about this one.

The one that comes to mind first is Dia for Men and incense. Not a fan of incense, but Dia is magical.

Edit: Some of my least favorite notes are listed in this thread such as Immortelle, Birch Tar, another I'd like to add is Everlasting Flower.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 20th October 2009 at 02:23 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Grapefruit....I still haven't smelled anything that won me over.

Mint - Czech & Speake Cuba. Still very few mint fragrances I like, but I've come to appreciate it as a note among blends.

Oakmoss if detectable by itself makes me nauseous, I just can't stand the smell of it particularly in frags like Sung Homme, I don't mind it too much if well blended with other notes. Also synthetic gingers sometimes make me feel sick even though I love the smell, frags like GPH, Envy, Allure I all love, but they sometimes get me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Grapefruit....I still haven't smelled anything that won me over.
    Ooh, give Diptyque's L'eau de Tarocco a go. It is a blood orange/grapefruit eau de cologne that is just magical. Wearing it right now actually.

And yeah, patchouli, damn. Comme des Garocns LUXE Patchouli and Profumium's Thundra almost killed me.

Patchouli

Borneo 1834. The dry cocoa softens the dirtiness of the patchouli and the camphor cuts through the denseness.

Dependent

I admit, Vanilla. I believe up to the point just before my 2nd or 3rd sample wearing of SDV, I never really rated or had any particular interest in Vanilla. How things have changed.

Although by far not the most repulsive or hated notes to me, I could never quite like gourmand notes, especially gourmand as in sweet, androgynous, edible and/or powdery, and yet, there is a handful of creations with a gourmand note (also including, but not strictly limited to, Gucci Envy).

Patchouli and chocolate accords (shudder) are the two big 'uns.

Tuberose, white florals and big roses aren't very much my thing either, but there are too many exceptions to those to *really* consider those "least favourite".

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Patchouli - and I'm still waiting to be won over.
    Can anyone suggest a patchouli dominant fragrance that might win me over. I hate being a 'notist'
    Chanel Coromandel & SL Borneo whats-the-year are the two single patchoulis I've come close to stomaching. As fate would have it, both also feature my other nemesis note, chocolate. Whoddathunk.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ballplayer7373 View Post
    Oakmoss if detectable by itself makes me nauseous, I just can't stand the smell of it particularly in frags like Sung Homme, I don't mind it too much if well blended with other notes. Also synthetic gingers sometimes make me feel sick even though I love the smell, frags like GPH, Envy, Allure I all love, but they sometimes get me wrong.
    Good one. I don't like ginger either. The only ginger I like is SL Five O'Clock Au Gingembre.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Anise, anise, anise. Never had an issue with any other notes but I've always hated black licorice since I was a kid. I may like a cologne with it as long as it's subdued or covered so that you can't smell it clearly.
    I hate licorice too, so anise is a note that I would think I wouldn't like. However, most fragrances with anise that I've tried make the note feel very herbal...not like licorice at all (Rive Gauche and Azzaro being the prime examples).

Also, chocolate. I still haven't been won over by anything.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th October 2009 at 02:19 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

I hated powdery scents, when I joined Basenotes. Shalimar by Guerlain changed that. Weird, because there are still many other powdery scents, that annoy me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th October 2009 at 03:05 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh cool. I will seek out and sample. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    Ooh, give Diptyque's L'eau de Tarocco a go. It is a blood orange/grapefruit eau de cologne that is just magical. Wearing it right now actually.