Code of Conduct

Question Eau de Guerlain?

I am contemplating an upcoming Eau de Guerlain purchase and I was wondering a few things about the scent:

1. How is it different than a traditional eau?
    2. How does its alleged floral heart play out? Is it similar to Acqua di Parma Colonia?
    3. Is the longevity better than a traditional eau like Jean Marie Farina (Roger Gallet extra vielle)?
    4. What are your thoughts on a blind buy?

Default Re: Eau de Guerlain?

If you really want a good example of an Eau de Cologne, then you will be getting one of the best. There is a base of vanilla in there that defies it's claim to being just a cologne. The longevity is better than the other Guerlain eaus, but that is not saying a lot. Seriously, you can't go wrong with this one, it's so achingly perfect.

Thanks for the encouragement Ruggles! I currently own Acqua di Parma Colonia (and love it) and have tried Eau de Coq, Eau de Imperiale, and Roger Gallet Extra Vielle as well as the less glamorous 4711.

I have worn AdP Colonia for years and love it too. I wanted to explore the classic cologne style and Eau de Guerlain was one of the first I added. It feels grown up and purposeful with a distinctly 'classic masculine' presence . . . makes you want to fill your lungs and stand up straight. Can't go wrong with this, really.

It was recently explained to me that each of the Eaux represent a specific take on the genre from successive generations within Guerlain (can't recall offhand which Guerlain did which) and that we may have a new one joining the family from Mr. T. Wasser some time soon, which should be cool.

Another one for any AdP Colonia fan that might be worth a look is Villoresi Uomo.

I love Eau de Guerlain and also Eau de Cologne Imperiale - the latter is what I decided on for a FB purchase only because I love the vibrant verbena "bite" with the citrus. Great when you get out of the shower in the morning, spritz a few sprays on and read the paper with a cup of coffee.

But I could easily see buying a FB of Eau de Guerlain - its citrus is delightful and so bright, and as Ruggles said - there is a bit more complexity to it. For something even more complex, Mouchoir de Monsieur is the next step up IMO.

Any other thoughts?

Well, just for balance Eau de Guerlain is by far my least favourite of the Guerlain Eaux. It has a kind of harsh caraway note up front and there is something I don't like to do with the interaction of the aldehydic florals and the slightly tame (for an EDC) citrus. Also, it has a base which makes it more of a three-layer perfume than a true EDC to me. It seems like a light citrus/floral EDT more than a true EDC in either the Farina or R&G tradition.

Imperiale, Du Coq and Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat are all much more to my taste; they are all clearly in that old tradition, as is Acqua di Parma and Volloresi's majestic Acqua di Colonia.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 19th October 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: changed "far superior" to "to my taste" :-)
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Well, just for balance Eau de Guerlain is by far my least favourite of the Guerlain Eaux. It has a kind of harsh caraway note up front and there is something I don't like to do with the interaction of the aldehydic florals and the slightly tame (for and EDC) citrus. Also, it has a base which makes it more of a three-layer perfume than a true EDC to me. It seems like a light citrus/floral EDT more than a true EDC in either the Farina or R&G tradition.

Imperiale, Du Coq and Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat are all far superior in my opinion, they are all clearly in that old tradition, as is Acqua di Parma and Volloresi's majestic Acqua di Colonia.
    Thank you sir! But at least I like citrus/florals!

I echo Ruggles' thoughts - it's pretty much as perfect as a cologne can be. Personally I don't get the best longevity but that's OK. The blend of citrus notes is superb and the florals are discrete. If you want the ultimate Guerlain citrus try Philtre d'Amour, which amazingly lasts 5+ hours on the skin.

I'll be the odd one out...I know Eau de Guerlain is well done, but I just don't like it. It's basically a well-done Eau de Cologne on a strong musk base. I may be hyper-sensitive to the particular musks used, but it basically smells like dryer sheet to me.

I know it costs 10x the price, but Chanel's take on it is my fav.

Sounds right up my alley

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Sounds right up my alley
    Ha...I just saw your Wanted thread and figured I either said something really right, or really wrong!

I hope you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Ha...I just saw your Wanted thread and figured I either said something really right, or really wrong!

I hope you like it.
    Citrus, flowers, strong musk base...sounds like what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Citrus, flowers, strong musk base...sounds like what I'm looking for
    Luca Turin would most likely spit if he heard me saying this, but have you tried Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier? I don't find them all that different...EdG leans more towards the masculine, but generally, similar concept.

*ducks from rocks*

Just bought a bottle, so I'll post how it goes!

Sounds interesting
    if its one thing that I have realized I value in a fragrance it is definitely longevity
    let us know!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab