Code of Conduct

Question Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan = Tom Ford Amber Absolute

I just received my Ambre Sultan from StrawberryNET. I have to say, I found that this not only smells like Tom Ford Private Collection Amber Absolute... it is Amber Absolute.

I put both on some scent strips and had several people smell both. I asked them to tell me if they could detect any difference, EVERYONE said it was the exact same.

I have to wonder if what we have here is a fragrance that is actually being licensed for two different brand names.

According to the Basenotes database, the perfumer for Ambre Sultan is Christopher Sheldrake, and the perfumer for Amber Absolute is Christophe Laudamiel, who are definitely two distinct people. But I have to wonder if this information is correct? Or, did one perhaps copy the other?

Default Re: Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan = Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Have you observed the whole progression of both scents?

Yes.

It could be that they smell the same and I understand that you have just received Ambre Sultan and feel like it's the same as Amber Absolute. But don't forget that AS precedes AA by about fourteen years, so at any rate it would be the other way around. Haven't smelled AA so I can't say anything about any similarities between the two.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I think you are just identifying the central note in both the fragrances i.e. Amber.
    That is why you think they are practically the same.

If you were to carefully analyze & then make a direct comparison you should be able to spot the differences. Both are quality Amber fragrances indeed yet I am not sure if they should co exist in the same wardrobe.

Ambre Sultan Notes
    coriander, amber, oregano, bay leaf, myrtle, angelica root, sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla

Amber Absolute is an oriental with notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, and vanilla bean.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

A good case for the advantage of testing on skin . The differences would have been clear(er).

Amber Sultan is more herbal, while labdanum plays a strong supporting role in Amber Absolute.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I agree they are extremely similiar, but Ambre Sultan is more herbal as perfaddict stated and not quite as bold in its topnotes, whereas Amber Absolute is full on in your face spices, amber, incense and labdanum the minute you spray it. A lot of people I know can't stand Amber Absolute, however they enjoy their own bottle of Ambre Sultan. Weird, huh?

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the similarities mentioned above - but they do smell different. As scent mentioned above, it's the herbal element of Ambre Sultan that is much more pronounced (it smells like being at an outdoor market where they sell fresh spices), giving it a salty, tangy aura.

Maybe Laudmiel is a fan of Ambre Sultan?

Nonetheless, Ambre Sultan is my favorite (and it's cheaper than AA too).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd October 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Compare those 2 side by side man. I thought like that too until i compared them on my wrist together.

Amber Sultan: amber but much lighter and much less sharp than AA. Lots of spices going on as well.
    Amber Absolute: straight Amber and to my inexperience nose its all about sharp amber.

Hope this helps.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Yes, They are very similar. no doubts about that. But, it isnt a replica.

Ambre Sultan is very herbal and spicy from top to mids. Amber Absolute Isnt. AA is much more denser, linear and only about Amber as opposed to Ambre Sultan which gets really soft from mids to drydown with a nice leathery, incensed feel. But, all said and done, from a higher level, they are very similar to each other, i agree with you on that.

Amber is an afterthought in Amber Sultan, and I mean that in a positive way. Ambre Sultan is quite a bit more exotic and I wouldn't hesitate to call it unconventional in that respective genre. The herbs, spices and the benzoin are done in a very measured fashion keeping the blend from becoming cloying, even on a warm day. Personally, I've worn the Sultan on extremely hot and humid days with ease.

I discovered the similarities recently myself when I tested Amber Absolute, but they aren't mirror images of each other, and I easily prefer Amber Sultan over Amber Absolute any day any time.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

They are very alike but at the same time there are huge differences . I agree with the previous statement AS has a very medicinal Herbal start with a rather restrained and polite drydown . AA is just huge in your face from the offset , an amber beast . I own and love both but AA has the edge for me

they smelled identical to my nose as well.

I have and love both. As has been said they have similarities (but hey, they [I]are[I] both Ambers). AS is much more herbal in the opening very different to AA. Enjoy them both, they are different.
    dnc

imo, they smelled very different....Tom Ford has a sweet almost gourmandish vibe to my nose like many other ambers...ambre sultan has an, already described, herbal "bitterness" that is slightly medicinal throughout its progression...i also find sultan to be somewhat smokier, although that may be only my perception....but then again, i think the final dry down of MKK, which I love dearly, shares similar dry down with English Leather musk and im sure others might balk!!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

ODDBALL .....I love Amber Absolute. It is thicker, sharper and has more suaveness. Ambre Sultan has a bit more air and water to it. The herbs throw me off...Its just ok...Go Tom Ford!!!!
    Im the be$t @ thi$

They're both Ambers, but they're not the same frag.
    I can tell you I like AA and I don't like AS. There is enough of a distinction between them that I can smell the difference right now in my head.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

oops, double post
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 1st September 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Is Amber Absolute's drydown very sweet and syrupy?
    Because that is what happens with the Sultan, imo.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I loathe Ambre Sultan...that vanilla, that sweetness that won't quit and is still killing me 12 hours later. Ugh!

Amber Absolute is lovely. Not, to me, as good as Ambre Soie, but lovely nonetheless, especially on my husband. However, it faded too fast on him so he wouldn't buy a bottle.

The only thing they have in common is being ambers IMO.

Ambre Sultan is very herb and spice centered amber.

Ambre Absolute is a very dense amber, not centered at all on herbs/spices.

They have unique merits.