Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toilet Water: Scents in Kohler, Wisconsin (+Creed, Carthusia reviews)

I'm sure a lot of us have heard of Kohler plumbing products, small engines, and generators. In fact, here in the Midwest, "Kohler" is a slang term for bathroom. So I decided to visit Kohler, Wisconsin (yes, named after the company) and take the factory tour and see how your favorite faucets, bathtubs, toilets, and sinks are made.

Anyway, tucked in the Shops of Woodlake Kohler, next to our hotel, there's a shop named Scentualities. It sells pajamas, linens, lingerie, and fragrances. Some of the brands they carry include Carthusia, Creed, Eau d'Italie, Santa Maria Novella, Thymes, and Lady Primrose's. While there, I had to sniff around and sample some scents. Here's a few reviews:

Carthusia Mediterreneo: Possibly the most unique citrus I have ever smelled. Too bad the longevity was absymal, like most citruses.
    Carthusia Numero Uno: When I sniffed it, I was amazed. Didn't put it on skin though. I should have tried this one.
    Creed Love in Black: A different spicy floral... I could see it as unisex.
    Creed Original Santal: This one gets a lot of controversy here on Basenotes. Some say that "it's an overpriced Joop! Homme clone!" Others say that "It smells great!". I think that it smells good, but yes, it does have a Joop! feel (but none of the sickening Robitussin notes found in Joop!). However, it does have a B*Men feel, and it's well-crafted like many a Creed. Overall, a different fragrance that is very polarizing, but very nice.
    Creed Original Vetiver: Mugler Cologne. 'Nuff said.

Oh, and Kohler has some great toilets to go with your eau de toilette, too.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 22nd October 2009 at 07:05 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toilet Water: Scents in Kohler, Wisconsin (+Creed, Carthusia reviews)

Kohler is a very nice little town near Sheboygan. Have been there many times. Love that area near the American club.
    -

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toilet Water: Scents in Kohler, Wisconsin (+Creed, Carthusia reviews)

Thanks, MF. Next time I have to travel that direction, it would be nice to have someplace to sniff. Wisconsin is such a dearth-land for fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Wisconsin is such a dearth-land for fragrance.
    Try living here in Fort Wayne, the second-biggest city in Indiana. This is a city where the nearest Sephora is 80 miles northwest of here, and in a smaller city than us to boot. (And yes, I've heard rumors of one coming here for eons.) We do have a Macy's and a Von Maur, though.

Still, I've lived in worse areas when it comes to frags... (cough) Anderson, Indiana (cough).

Post Thanks / Like

I did that Kohler factory tour back in the fifties - don't remember much -- I was about 12 years old.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have something to check out when I get in that direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    I did that Kohler factory tour back in the fifties - don't remember much -- I was about 12 years old.
    These days, you have to be at least 14 to take the factory tour.

I understand why, with all the molten cast iron from the foundry and kerosene fumes from the faucet shop... gee, I wonder if they make a fragrance that can bottle the essence of all of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    These days, you have to be at least 14 to take the factory tour.

I understand why, with all the molten cast iron from the foundry and kerosene fumes from the faucet shop... gee, I wonder if they make a fragrance that can bottle the essence of all of that?
    They didn't worry about those things in those days.

Images of the workers handling the molten metal are all I can remember of the tour, that, and getting a miniature bathtub (ashtray) at the end of the tour.

To get back on track: I don't remember how it smelled, though. Glad to know the Sheboygan area has a place with some interesting frags.