Code of Conduct

Default Frapin Caravelle Epicee.

What do you think of Frapin Caravelle Epicee? I`ve never tested it, but i`m very curious. Are there eny similarities with Straight to Heaven, Fou d` Absinthe, or eny designer-scents out there? Luckyscent says Caravelle Epicee is their favourite of the line.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 22nd October 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Default Re: Frapin Caravelle Epicee.

it's a freaking awesome scent! if you like spicy scents, then you cant go wrong with this one. it's remotely similar to CDG Jaisalmer.

I love it, it has some similarities to STH.

I was a touch disappointed on first wearing, but I think it's because it's not exactly what I expected. I've got enough juice here for 3-4 more wearings, and it certainly has potential to grow on me.

ok. Do you think it`s better than STH? I like scents like Bois Du Portugal, Fou d`Absithe, Bois1920 Extreme, M7, Equipage etc.. Do you think this will suit my taste?

I just tested the line in-store, but was impressed. I can't offer any reference to other scents, it's been too long, but they were far above average quality and more classic in construction than postmodern.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    ok. Do you think it`s better than STH? I like scents like Bois Du Portugal, Fou d`Absithe, Bois1920 Extreme, M7, Equipage etc.. Do you think this will suit my taste?
    You will love it ... Whether it's better will be up to you... My initial impression was that it wasn't it because i thought the world of STH. But nowi think it's just as good.

It is my favorite Frapin fragrance, Although I have not tried L'Humaniste (the new one).
    It is spcy without being heavy or cloying.
    I don't find it similar to STH. I don't remember patchouli being a note in CE, but I am not sure.
    Evenstar

big fan of this one. highly suggest ordering a sample from LS or requesting one with another purchase.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

You will find some similarities between some of the By Kilians and Frapin as they are both from Cognac backgrounds and seem to share the taste for fine, rich smelling scents. My favorites from Frapin are 1270 and Caravelle Epicee, and they are both bottle worthy IMO.

CE is an execellnt fragrance, the combination of booze, spice and wood is perfect for the Fall.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    big fan of this one. highly suggest ordering a sample from LS or requesting one with another purchase.
    ok. I have now order samples of Caravelle Epicee, Amouage Epic Man, and Amouage Jubilation xxv for men so i can see which one i like best.

There a great 'dirty' spice note in CV that I really like - it's totally unique and develops very nicely. I personally don't get a ton of similarity to Straight to Heaven, but I can see some aspects shared.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I own all the Frapin scents and particularly love this scent.

I wish I would have scribbled down some notes now, but I definitely think it falls in line with some of the ones you like. I'll probably throw some on this evening to make sure I'm not way out of line, but I recall it being somewhat "mature" in the way BdP is. Also, perhaps it's just that when I want spicy, cinnamon scents are a little more up my alley (Arancia e Cannella or CdG White). Hopefully I don't come across as panning CE....I really did enjoy it.

Update:
    I put some on after work today. I'm getting mostly nutmeg over a sweet, boozy tobacco and wood combination. I think the cumin note is why I ruled it out initially (and after further review), but you may enjoy it.
    Last edited by derekp; 24th October 2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: To update.

What do you think of Frapin Caravelle Epicee? I`ve never tested it, but i`m very curious. Are there eny similarities with Straight to Heaven? Luckyscent says Caravelle Epicee is their favourite of the line.
    I own both and I can tell you they are nothing alike.
    StH is a subtle booze,patchouly and musk creation, but more natural smelling.
    Caravelle Epicee is very, indian market spicy, lot´s of cardamom.What ruins Caravelle for me, there is some weird synthetic smelling note in it, which I don´t like.
    If you like spices, maybe Caravelle is for you but for me Straight To Heaven is the better one.

I love strong cumin openings and this one definitely has it. I wish I could offer more of an opinion but I've only used my sample once.

Looks like I'm going to have to go against the tide here. I don't like it, but that's to be expected I don't like cumin heavy fragrances. I tested it, when it was compared to StH, and I just don't see that much similarities, sure it's got a little bit of booziness but no where near as much as StH.

Edit: Though off topic, my favorite Frapin is the utterly beautiful Frapin 1270. Not sure if it's in line with what you have liked in the past, but I find Frapin fragrances in general of very high quality, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out. L'Humaniste is very nice too.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 24th October 2009 at 08:58 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I am a big fan of Cartier Declaration Essence. My first reaction upon sampling Frapin CE was that this was a knockoff of the Declaration although upon wearing, there are some subtle differences. Also similar to these is Montale Greyland. All share a cumin note.

Quote Originally Posted by drpck View Post
    I am a big fan of Cartier Declaration Essence. My first reaction upon sampling Frapin CE was that this was a knockoff of the Declaration although upon wearing, there are some subtle differences. Also similar to these is Montale Greyland. All share a cumin note.
    I hope it`s different than Declaration, because that one reminds me of old sweat!

Caravelle Epicee is one of my all-time favorites. It is probably my favorite spice centered cologne.
    If you are cumin averse it is definitely not for you but I don't think the cumin level rise to that which is present in Delaration.
    also the cumin has a lot of spicy company and so it doesn't tend to stand out as much on my skin.
    I don't find it similar to Straight to Heaven.
    I will be interested to hear what you think once you try it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Today i got my sample of Caravelle Epicee. I had big expectetions, so i must say i`m a bit disappointed. There are some sharpness in the background that reminds me of Cartier Declaration that i don`t like.. I`m not going to buy it.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 2nd November 2009 at 07:23 PM.

Today i got my sample of Caravelle Epicee. I had big expectetions, so i must say i`m a bit disappointed. There are some sharpness in the background that reminds me of Cartier Declaration that i don`t like.. I`m not going to buy it.
    Well, my bottle ought to be here Thursday and I hope that your experience is just an aberration and that I will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Well, my bottle ought to be here Thursday and I hope that your experience is just an aberration and that I will love it.
    A important rule: DON`T BLIND BUY! ever...

Some of my fav frags were blind buys :P

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Some of my fav frags were blind buys :P
    Strongly confirm!

I love Caravelle Epicee on my skin! I like Noir Epices, too, but it is less wearable for a woman, IMO.

BTW, cumin never smells stinky to me. I love cumin! However, some of the comments make me worry that other people might confuse some of my favorite fragrances with BO!

It must be the cumin i don`t like.. There are something in both Caravelle and Declaration that reminds me of a mix of cardamom and sweat..

Got my bottle last night and wore it today. I swear, the sample I had must have been mislabeled, as it was sweeter, but when I go read the description of 1270 , I am sure that I did not get a mislabled 1270.

Vibert's review is right on. It is astringent and it must be the star anise (licorise accord or the cognac?) that hits my nose first. Maybe for 20 to 30 minutes, that is what hits me. I have had it on for an hour now and it has mellowed out. It starts to remind me of Piper Nigrum, just not as heavy on the black pepper, but I can see where some creaminess wants to come through.

I usually dismiss a cologne on first sniff. I need to be careful with this one though. Vibert is right, this thing is going to last and it is not a skin scent, but then again, it is not a loud, projecting scent. Whereas Idole is sugary sweet (rum maybe?) this is more like your bourbon sweetness, but even toned down from that. I don't get the nutmeg or rose or patchouli, nor is this super spicy, but there is something comforting about this. At lunch, I usually let a few ladies smell my new scents and I will get them to comment

Got my bottle last night and wore it today. I swear, the sample I had must have been mislabeled, as it was sweeter, but when I go read the description of 1270 , I am sure that I did not get a mislabled 1270.

Vibert's review is right on. It is astringent and it must be the star anise (licorise accord or the cognac?) that hits my nose first. Maybe for 20 to 30 minutes, that is what hits me. I have had it on for an hour now and it has mellowed out. It starts to remind me of Piper Nigrum, just not as heavy on the black pepper, but I can see where some creaminess wants to come through.

I usually dismiss a cologne on first sniff. I need to be careful with this one though. Vibert is right, this thing is going to last and it is not a skin scent, but then again, it is not a loud, projecting scent. Whereas Idole is sugary sweet (rum maybe?) this is more like your bourbon sweetness, but even toned down from that. I don't get the nutmeg or rose or patchouli, nor is this super spicy, but there is something comforting about this. At lunch, I usually let a few ladies smell my new scents and I will get them to comment
    So, have you got eny comments from the ladies?

Nope, traded it this week to Jenson.

Nope, traded it this week to Jenson.
    Yup !

Well, I ordered a sample of this too based on reviews and on the fact that I like cumin (or at least, the cumin in AMcQ Kingdom...)... I'll report as soon as I test it...

Strange that nobody has mention the body-odour note that`s lingering in the background..

Strange that nobody has mention the body-odour note that`s lingering in the background..
    It's probably the cumin that you're sensing. No body odor notes.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Yep it's cumin, and I looove cumin notes

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    It's probably the cumin that you're sensing. No body odor notes.
    Yes, it`s the cumin that ruins this fragrance for me.. Cumin reminds me of sweaty armpits.. The same with Cartier Declaration.

Yes, it`s the cumin that ruins this fragrance for me.. Cumin reminds me of sweaty armpits.. The same with Cartier Declaration.
    Cumin is a VERY tricky note to pull off. I dislike it as well Oslo, and the only instances in which I can wear it are when the cumin is used for its spicy character rather than it's dirty character. Examples of its useage as a spicy note are in Rose 31 and Angeliques sous la Pluie, otherwise I agree, it smells like BO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Cumin is a VERY tricky note to pull off. I dislike it as well Oslo, and the only instances in which I can wear it are when the cumin is used for its spicy character rather than it's dirty character. Examples of its useage as a spicy note are in Rose 31 and Angeliques sous la Pluie, otherwise I agree, it smells like BO.
    -Luckily to hear i`m not the only one!

It's hard to account for taste in fragrances! I totally agree with the advice to test it first!

I love Caravelle Epicee as a fragrance. It's in my top ten currently. It is hard for me to imagine anyone not liking this fragrance! Of all the spice fragrances I've tried this is my favorite - along with CdG Original edp - It's a tie between these two. Both are near perfection in the spice category, but in very different ways.

A year ago or so, there was a basenotes group love affair with Noir Epices by Frederic Malle. Another fragrance in this genre of scent. Everyone seemed to love it! I tried it, but it just didn't work for me. Almost an instant repelling scent for me. Had to scrub it off. A bitterness that I couldn't overcome, and I tried a couple of times. Just goes to show how individual taste in fragrances can vary.

By the way Ayala Moriel makes an outstanding spice fragrance blend that doesn't get talked about nearly enough - Epice Sauvage.

It`s been a while since i smell Caravelle Epicee for the first time, and i must admit.. -I`m actual starting to like it.. I think I`ve been inverted! It`s insane, but my opinion on this one has slowly change after several wearings! So much that i have order a 100ml bottle! I had decided to buy either Straight to heaven or Caravelle Epicee. I pick Caravelle because i think is more complex and original than STH.. I hope the longevity is good on this one!