Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco / Coffee / Chocolate ?

This seems like it would be an interesting combination, perhaps over some woods or vetiver. Like smoking a pipe and drinking hot mocha in an old time coffee house. Does anyone know of any frag that does this well? I searched the directory but nothing turned up.

EDIT: Oh, and please don't say A*Men. Sorry, but . . . blech!
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 23rd October 2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Default Re: Tobacco / Coffee / Chocolate ?

I Probably smell like tobacco / coffee / chocolate when I wear A*Men since I am a heavy smoker.
    I Asked a somewhat similar question not too long ago, but that was for tobacco and scotch, so that's prolly not the same...
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

You can probably layer the fragrance to get the combination that you're looking for. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla or Guerlain SDV and Chocolat Amere or Black Afgano will do the trick. Those smell great just by themselves. Good luck!
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 23rd October 2009 at 06:16 PM.

By Kilian's Cruel Intentions may quench your olfactory expectation

To me, Burberrry London, Escada PH and Endymion by Penhaligons come close to this concept, at least to my nose and my perception.

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I might check some of those out. And layering might be the way to go.

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 minus the tobacco part a little bit.

Bell' Antonio by Hilde Soliani is a great tobacco scent with a back note of coffee - no chocolate though. I find it is very dry and the focus is clearly on the tobacco. A very nice scent.

I know you don't like A*Men but Pure Coffee by A*Men is much better than the original and is a great gourmand coffee/chocolate/patchouli scent. I also do not like A*Men at all - can't stand it. But I really did enjoy Pure Coffee. I like it more than Pure Tobacco - purely a personal preference.

My model of olfactory appreciation suggests that this won't work well. Basically, some notes are "vertical," such as lemon, whereas others are "horizontal," and chocolate, coffee, and tobacco are all horizontal. They also share the same horizontal characteristics, which is that they "stretch" horizontal strongly, but not enough to be unpleasant. If you try to get all three at the same intensity, my guess is that it will come across discordant, if not outright nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My model of olfactory appreciation suggests that this won't work well. Basically, some notes are "vertical," such as lemon, whereas others are "horizontal," and chocolate, coffee, and tobacco are all horizontal. They also share the same horizontal characteristics, which is that they "stretch" horizontal strongly, but not enough to be unpleasant. If you try to get all three at the same intensity, my guess is that it will come across discordant, if not outright nauseating.
    I'm not sure why, but I think Bigsly has a point here...something about this sounds pretty accurate. Don't know if it would be nasueating, but I think getting the right combination would be tough.

They do seem like notes that all compete on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post

Good point. I did have the sense that they are sort of parallel with each other at the note level. Not sure how to describe it, but I think your "horizontal" label works nicely. I suppose I should clarify that I wouldn't want them to be equal in intensity. I could definitely see how that could be unpleasant. In fact, I don't think that any of them necessarily need to take the spotlight. They could be purely complimentary to the other notes in the fragrance . . . or maybe one could be prominent (say, tobacco), and the other two would add background support. At least that's what I had in mind.

Try By Kilian's Back to Black.

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe----Light chocolate coffee with tabacco hints.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

egoiste + m7 or a vanilla base could work. because there were days of wearing egoiste where i smelled like dark chocolate

What about Trusardi Inside Man?
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126942.html
    Last edited by discovolante; 25th October 2009 at 01:44 PM.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    This seems like it would be an interesting combination, perhaps over some woods or vetiver. Like smoking a pipe and drinking hot mocha in an old time coffee house. Does anyone know of any frag that does this well? I searched the directory but nothing turned up.

EDIT: Oh, and please don't say A*Men. Sorry, but . . . blech!
    I'm a big lover of all three done well. I'm always searching for excellent examples of each one alone, or combinations. I would agree with Bigsly that it might be difficult to do all three well together (and you'll have to explain your model to us sometime, Bigsly. It sounds very interesting and useful.)

Among the recent efforts in this area, two of my favorites are Back to Black and Pure Coffee. Both of them are great, so I'll skip the great parts and just mention the things which deviate from your wishes. Back to Black has this watery oriental thing which is a bit like Bulgari Black - and it's done very nicely - but it's not exactly coffee-house stuff. It has a very luxurious feel. And Pure Coffee, although much more complex and universally lovable than regular A*Men, still has the A*Men thing pretty strongly, and is so "out-there" gourmand, that it goes beyond coffee-house. It's like sticking your head into a can of coffee.

There is also a very recent frag that is basically designed to be exactly what what you're looking for, although it goes just a bit beyond. I would call it more "inspired by all aspects of a coffee house" than "duplicating a coffee house". It's like being in said old time coffee house, and some woman with a really interesting perfume walks in. That would be Field Notes From Paris, the latest frag from Ineke Rühland. I just got a free sample in the mail. Here's the blurb:

Field Notes from Paris is inspired by Ineke's halcyon days studying perfumery in Paris and Versailles. It captures the romantic, nostalgic feeling of sitting at a café and writing in a journal while lingering for hours over a cafe crème.

The "woody oriental" structure combines the warmth of tobacco flower and leaf with the vintage perfumery notes of coriander seed, patchouli and tonka bean. Field Notes from Paris is an enigmatic scent with a warm, comforting presence.
    The flyer actually has a picture of the bottle on a wooden table with counter-stools in the background.

It's a feminine according to the directory, but I would call it unisex, and I think Ineke's scents are all technically unisex. This one and Derring-Do are probably the most guy-friendly out of her line. The thing I like about this one is that it doesn't bowl you over with any of the three accords. It simply suggests all of them, to different degrees as it progresses. I get the tobacco and coffee more up front, and the chocolate more in the drydown. And more than that, it doesn't sacrifice being an honest-to-God fragrance in the process, which overly ambitious gourmands tend to do. That's why I said it smells like a perfumed woman walked into the coffee shop. The bergamot, coriander, patch and leather all work together to give it a chypre-like thing which is very attractive. And Ecaruthers (who also got a free sample) noted that the coriander and tobacco give it a very interesting tobacco note, and I have to agree.

I woudn't advise buying this blind, but it's worth getting a sample, definitely. I'm going to wear all of my sample and then make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    What about Trusardi Inside Man?
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126942.html
    Hehe. I actually have a bottle of this one the way already. Hope it's good.