Code of Conduct

Default Why wasting money looking for the "IT" fragrance?

When layering will give you some really amazing new scents that no one else has. But, ofcourse, you have to have some really nice fragrances to start with. Just be careful, you might just create a new Atom bomb that would destroy the whole Basenotes community. Hell, let's start with:

Secretions Magnifiques+.....Body Kouros

Damn! Where is my Secretions Magnifiques sample??
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 24th October 2009 at 02:11 AM.

Default Re: Why wasting money looking for the "IT" fragrance?

What?

I thought the search was over for you after Havana

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I thought the search was over for you after Havana
    The Search will never end for us fragrance lovers. Perfumers just rehash the old stuff and call it new. Now I know who created the phrase "What old is new again" There is only so much they can do with those same notes.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 24th October 2009 at 05:05 AM.

Indeed.. though I'm skeptical that they'll be able to make 'em so many of them like they used to with the new IRFA restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    The Search will never end for us fragrance lovers. Perfumers just rehash the old stuff and call it new. Now I know who created the phase "What old is new again" There is only so much they can do with those same notes.

I am not a big fan of layering.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Me either.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The closest I get to layering is reapplying a fragrance on top of itself. lol I'll leave that to others. Not my thing...

And I thought this thread was about Peter Thomas Roth's fragrance called IT.

See: http://www.peterthomasroth.com/c-16-fragrances.aspx

Me either.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

I'm no longer wasting money looking for the "IT" fragrance - I found it: L'Heure Bleu. :bounce:

Not a big fan of layering? Can you elaborate more on this? I think it is perfect, at least for me, when I need to have a certain notes for that day, instead of looking or buying something else. Right now, I like layering Havana and just a light spray of Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Just wondering!

We need the IT colognes so we can layer better.

I don't layer anyways actually.
    Last edited by Big Punisher; 24th October 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Haven't run into you in ages, irish! Good to see you.

Yeah, me either.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis.w View Post
    Me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    We need the IT colognes so we can layer better.

I don't layer anyways actually.
    Agreed - if you're going to layer, might as well do it with the best stuff.

Not a big fan of layering? Can you elaborate more on this? I think it is perfect, at least for me, when I need to have a certain notes for that day, instead of looking or buying something else. Right now, I like layering Havana and just a light spray of Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Just wondering!
    I do it occasionally, when I feel like I can match things well, but it has limited appeal to me - especially with complex fragrances. To my mind, it's completely analogous to finding songs that sound good together simultaneously. Yes, sometimes it's really interesting, and some musical tracks do lend themselves to interweaving in a spooky way. But it's not a most-of-the-time thing for me - particularly when I want to focus on a composition.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I think layering is an amusing personal exercise. Works for some, but not for me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

No layering. Never. Frédéric Malle once stated my opinion best. :-)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 24th October 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Me either.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    No layering. Never. Frédéric Malle once stated my opinion best. :-)
    Agree.
    Perfumers are better chemists than I am. Layering is the best way I can think of to reliably ruin a good fragrance.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Agree.
    Perfumers are better chemists than I am. Layering is the best way I can think of to reliably ruin a good fragrance.

-Slim
    Why would layering ruin a good fragrance? If the end result is something that is pleasant to your nose, then I'd say it's absolutely fine to do so. I am not saying that layering will always produce something that's great, but you all sound like layering a fragrance is a "No No". I guess we will have to wait for a house like Guerlain or Amouage to come out and tell us it's ok to do so. Comes to think of it, many people do follow the trend set by Hollywood afterall.

Why would layering ruin a good fragrance?
    Because Frédéric Malle said it would.
    For a perfume aficionado this is the same as if Chuck Norris would show you how to divide by zero. You would be in awe, man!

I'll do it occasionally, but only if the two frags fill each other's gaps, so to speak, or balance each other out. In the spicy category, I thought Opium PH was too sweet, and Pierre Cardin PM was among the least sweet I had. So I decided to try layering them, at least once, to see if they'd "average out" to a medium-sweet spice scent. I can't remember if it worked, but I feel like in principle, layering _could_ accomplish this type of thing.

I probably would be less likely to do it with a more expensive brand unless I thought it was really missing something. (And I didn't really like Opium that much anyway).

Nor I. Unless I'm mixing one-note scents, such as two varieties of sandalwood (i.e. Mysore mixed with Bangalore.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Haven't run into you in ages, irish! Good to see you.

Yeah, me either.

Agreed - if you're going to layer, might as well do it with the best stuff.

I do it occasionally, when I feel like I can match things well, but it has limited appeal to me - especially with complex fragrances. To my mind, it's completely analogous to finding songs that sound good together simultaneously. Yes, sometimes it's really interesting, and some musical tracks do lend themselves to interweaving in a spooky way. But it's not a most-of-the-time thing for me - particularly when I want to focus on a composition.
    I know! I went into a hiatus for a while until my economical situation gets better. However, I was wondering what the cool guys like yourself are up to this days. So I dropped by for a few minutes just to see how all of you are doing.
    Last edited by irish; 25th October 2009 at 04:55 AM.

Well, I remember when someone (was it Burr? Turin? a basenoter?) said that layering was like wearing a Prada suit over a Dior suit. I happen to agree. True, sometimes it may give you an interesting result for a few minutes, while the top notes evaporate, but for a long-time application, it just ends up being either a mess or a waste of good fragrance.Some people may like it, and for them I have two tips:
    1) Try to use two fragrances from the same manufacturer or perfumer. If the two fragrances have a common ground, they are easier to mix together, IMO.
    2) Try to use fragrance that feel incomplete by themselves. If a perfume feels as if it were constructed entirely by basenotes, combine it with a perfume which feels constructed entirely of top notes. Or some variation of that idea.

As for me, I may not have the appropriate nose, skin, imagination or fragrances to make good combinations, but I enjoy the excellent craftsmanship of the good perfumers. I have gone through the pains of building a collection with the fragrances I love, the ones I consider aesthetically complete and pleasing. While it is true that layering multiplies the number of options at your disposal, I also feel that my layering experimets cannot compete with the balance, completeness and boldness of the best perfumes out there.
    Last edited by irish; 25th October 2009 at 05:19 AM.

1) Try to use two fragrances from the same manufacturer or perfumer. If the two fragrances have a common ground, they are easier to mix together, IMO.
    Yes. I remember a discussion about layering Creeds. If I remember correctly Creed "itself" has given out "advices" which fragrances to layer. Just have to search for the thread.

Morning Star

Damn. I thought this thread was about the search for an "Information Technology" fragrance. Don't we already have that in Comme des Garçons Odeur 53?

I do only a minor amount of layering, since I basically agree that perfumers do a better job of mixing than I do, and that most creations are properly designed as a whole. I do like layering Ermenegildo Zegna Z Zegna Extreme with strong woody fragrances like Gucci Pour Homme, since its grapefruit note seems to soften things up a bit. I also like experimenting with layering Kiehl's Original Musk Blend No. 1 EdT with various aquatics. Aside from that, I usually take my juices "straight".

I did play around with layering for a while like M7 and egoiste = coromandel as the vanilla in egoiste gets amplified...the rest just disappears. But then i realized that i was better off layering it with cheap pure vanilla scent as egoiste is expensive./