Code of Conduct

Default 'Sediment' in perfume?

I pulled out a little vintage mini of Je Reviens today, and noticed many flecks of what you might call 'sediment' floating around in it -- such as you might find in a bottle of wine. On sniffing, the perfume has clearly turned: the narcissus/aldehydic topnotes smell bad, though the violet component of the scent still smells pretty. The base is non-existent. Mercifully, the whole rancid lot faded quickly (too quickly?) on my skin.

Do older scents develop sediment? Or, as I suspect, has this perfume been tampered with by the ebay vendor from whom I bought it? I do not recall seeing such sediment floating around in the bottle when it first reached me about 6 months ago.

Can anyone help?
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 'Sediment' in perfume?

Don't you think that sometimes they just get too old? I had one that got sediment in it, but it was very old. Je Reviens is not very stable, I've found.

I think the presence of sediment means the perfume is contaminated because the bottle was opened at some point.

I ordered a bottle of MPG from a well-known online vendor. The box had been opened and the top of the bottle was dusty. Inside were floating particles, and I guessed that perhaps it had been opened to made a sample decant. (The vendor was notified and I was immediately shipped a new, wrapped box with a return label.)

Perhaps one of our scientifically-minded members can speak of micro organisms in old perfume.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th October 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Reawakening a veeeeery old thread to ask again whether or not particles in perfume are normal? I just bought a bottle of a Carolina Herrera fragrance from the early 90s. Smells fine (I don't know if it smells like it should since it was a blind buy, but it's not bad), but there are little particles in it, and something that looks like LINT. Not a lot, but you can see it. It was in a box that looks legit, it was wrapped in plastic, codes match etc, so I'm not concerned it's a fake, really, but where does the STUFF in it come from?

I am also curious where the weird particles are coming from.

I have seen this happening before with splash minis and roll-ons, but there it is quite clear that skin flakes can (and will) easily get into the bottle. But with a spray bottle??? Some kind of weird chemical reaction during the aging process?

I think the conditions under which perfume is produced are as clean as possible. But you cannot ban each and any micro-particle hovering around.
    Another thing I read about is that the sprayer of a perfume bottle sucks in air and thereby dust or other material.

Post Thanks / Like

That seems logical but right out of the sealed box? I mean no one is supposed to have ever used the sprayer before, and the bottle is full. It seems strange. And I've never seen it in any of my newer bottles. I'm just wondering if it's a sign that it's about to turn, or if it's just... dust, basically, in which case it's obviously not a big deal.

Then I guess it's a production fault. Shouldn't be, but happens. If you have the possibility to return the product, do so. But I think it doesn't effect the scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced this sediment with old minis. It is generally accompanied by an extremely dark perfume colour. My theory is this - the particles of the ingredients have coagulated as the alcohol has been evaporated and this is the second last stage of alcohol loss.

In the next stage, the perfume ends up as powder, still loosely held together with remnants of moisture. I certainly do not believe the process suggests contamination, simply a drying out of the liquid component of the perfume. In fact, at the powdery stage, some people 'revive' the perfume by adding something like vodka to the powdery remains and reconstitute it.