Code of Conduct

Default Is Miss Balmain as Tania S. describes it ?

Does the drydown smell like the inside of a leather handbag, a combination of cigarettes, makeup, and of course leather? If so, is it nicely balanced? Thanks.

Default Re: Is Miss Balmain as Tania S. describes it ?

Only if you keep a big bouquet, some lovely oakmoss and vetiver and aldehydes in your handbag, and the "cigarettes" would need to be terribly fresh. I find Miss Balmain to be a more floral, less overty leather version of Bandit..and it's Cellier, of course.

L&T traffic is shock reviews, IMO. "Ewww it's gross", no matter how cleverly phrased is not a thoughtful review. I wish Chandler Burr would do a different guide.

I find it a very grown-up, 'ladylike' chypre, which always seems somewhat out of keeing with its 'Miss' prefix. It has a lot of Bandit going on, but as Zibeline rightly says, it's more floral, less leathery and -- to this nose at least -- far less green, Compared to Bandit, I find it positively restrained, in fact I rarely bother with it. I am a chypre nut and am lucky to have a mini of vintage extrait of this stuff, but the truth is, it fades from my skin without consequence. A lady who is all top, no bottom, IMO.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

For a long time I couldn't cope with many chypres because I didn't get oakmoss. Now I do and it was Miss Balmain who showed me the way. I don't get much leather, but I do find it well-balanced. I'll send you a vial is you PM me.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I sampled Miss Balmain in March 2008, apparently, and here are my notes to myself:

Miss Balmain
    Chypre-Floral
    Top Notes: Gardenia, coriander, citrus, aldehydes
    Heart Notes: Jasmine, rose, carnation, narcissus, orris, jonquil
    Base Notes: Castoreum, patchouli, oakmoss, leather, vetiver, amber

Soapy at first (galbanum?). Coriander blasts in and takes over for a while. Somewhat bitter & green. Settles down into fairly strong leather. Not really my style. Still…interesting stuff. Strong character fragrance for a person of strong personality. Someone said that it rather “lurches around” in its evolution, and I agree with that. Prefer the gentle kid glove leather & violet of Jolie Madame.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 25th October 2009 at 01:39 PM.

As Tania Sanchez actually described the thing:

" Miss Balmain (Balmain) * * * * herbal leather

When I was a kid, if I imagined what a grown woman was supposed to smell like, this was the kind of thing I would have conjured up as the Platonic ideal: a slightly acrid, pleasantly adult smell of hard leather, stubbed-out cigarettes, and face powder, much like that mysterious bloom that I remember coming up from the bottom of Mom's best handbag. Although, like Balmain's Jolie Madame, Miss Balmain is technically a floral leather, she lacks her sister's fluid sweetness. Instead, her dry herbal rasp has the appeal of a throaty voice that catches on every third word, and smells a bit like Eau d'Hermes inproved by going cheap. There's something charmingly put-on and ambitious about it that makes me think of the way I was at eighteen, in my new pink-and-white houndstooth jacket from the $10 store, putting on a grown-up voice when I worked as a receptionist during the summer months, smoking on my lunch break, all the while pretending I'd been doing it for years. TS "

I think the opening post summarized the "review" rather well, and I still find it a beautifully crafted scent by a true artist.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 25th October 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    A lady who is all top, no bottom, IMO.
    Some gentlemen like ladies who are that way.

A few of the individuals I know who made Miss B. their signature scent happen to be Japanese ladies who came of age during WWII. They aver that Miss Balmain reminds them of the traditional sachets put among stored kimono, the kind that contained agarwood in its ingredients. The quality that attracted them to Miss Balmain was its dryness, sharpness and absence of overt floral references.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    A few of the individuals I know who made Miss B. their signature scent happen to be Japanese ladies who came of age during WWII. They aver that Miss Balmain reminds them of the traditional sachets put among stored kimono, the kind that contained agarwood in its ingredients. The quality that attracted them to Miss Balmain was its dryness, sharpness and absence of overt floral references.
    What a beautifully evocative story. It makes me want to get my hands on Miss Balmain even more!

Yes. That story is beautiful. A wonderful insight into how scent is received across cultures. Lovely.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the sample, wordbird (I left feedback). I "blew away" the top notes as much as possible, and what I got out of it was very similar to Mitsouko (recent EdT formulation). If there is a clear difference, then it's probably because I don't wear chypres very often and have limited experience with them. I think I'll just stick to my Mitsouko bottle, since that might last me the rest of my life !

Banned

hello Bigsly, this is very old post but i just happen to try vintage Miss Balmain pure perfume

and me too am not really experienced at chypres, and all oakmossy perfumes becasue i dont enjoy them genuinly, but i have to say this Miss Balmain is not Miss she is Grande Dame of chypre! but i think is fair to say its floral leather too

The initial blast is so complex mix of aldehyds, sharp greeness from oak moss, and cold white flowers....then spices take over...is bitter sweet, but reminded me of Mitsouko as well this deep green humid moss takes over everything, and spices and carnation flower are prominent at that stage too.....but its so stunning how perfume develops over time! it goes through stages and settles down after 3 hours in Bandit style! and i can smell smoky ashtray, green leather, sharpness is denominator through all stages of development, and reminds me of galbanum at times yes!, but is very much held in control with sweetness at the beginning and later when perfume looses its strenght smokeyness kicks in!

This masterfully done fragrance, in that classic perfumery style, and everything is very nicely balanced! so i could agree in the drydown , after 3-4 hours it really smells much like Bandit!

so far this is the most beautiful chypre i have tried, and i suppose its becasue i have it in perfume concentration! Mitsouko is more easy to understand this here is complexity.
    Last edited by iivanita; 23rd January 2013 at 01:13 PM.

The laminate supplied by Balmain to help SA's in stores lists just 3 notes -- Coriander, Orris, Leather and this is basically what I perceived, i.e. not much floral action at all -- perfectly acceptable for a man (apart from the glitzy ballroom stopper).

queen of the universe

First sniff is "fond du ashtry" to me, and don't correct my grammar (; After that, ambery with some oakmoss and patchouli to my nose. I wear this teaching high school since I am 100% sure no student would dare smell like this (one has to make a distinction!).
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I find it a very grown-up, 'ladylike' chypre, which always seems somewhat out of keeing with its 'Miss' prefix. It has a lot of Bandit going on, but as Zibeline rightly says, it's more floral, less leathery and -- to this nose at least -- far less green, Compared to Bandit, I find it positively restrained, in fact I rarely bother with it. I am a chypre nut and am lucky to have a mini of vintage extrait of this stuff, but the truth is, it fades from my skin without consequence. A lady who is all top, no bottom, IMO.
    I agree 100%.

The small, older bottle of Miss Balmain which I have is NOT restrained, and is quite leather-y. Much like Bandit, but a bit sharper (or something). The version of Bandit I own is much smoother, not so crisp. Anyway, that's my take on it.

queen of the universe

Carolina girl, I agree. I would classify Miss Balmain as "badass chypre". Sharp is a good word, you hit the nail on the head.

queen of the universe

I love pluran's description, too. It is amazing how differently people experience this fragrance, very interesting.