Code of Conduct

Default Anything similar to Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ?

I will consult the knowledge of the many basenoters here: Do you guys know of any fragrance that is very similar to Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ? I would imagine so as this seems to be a bit on the modern youth side and everyone knows that there are plenty of them out there.

Default Re: Anything similar to Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ?

In the vast world of fragrances, there must be. However, I have not come across it yet. Endymion is the closest thing to Opus 1870 to me. Of course, there is enough difference to disqualify it from being a clone. Maybe Demeter, Jo Malone or some such single note ( or limited number of notes) company makes a Black Pepper that comes close.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Very similar, no. But I have sensed some marginally similar notes in Very Valentino (no pepper, but some of the woody-spicy drydown) and, far more spice and warmth, much more sensual, than in Opus, in Japiur.
    Also, why not go directly to the source, since even Blenheim Bouquet shares some similar notes, or, to mention a different, yet also British house, most male frags by Hugh Parsons. Just my humble opinion, though.

Well, I think this is an interesting question. For me, Opus 1870 is all about a good cedar note. Strong, dominant, not overtly sweet. What comes to mind is Mechant Loup.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm always saying it, Opus 1870 is one of the very woodiest scents I've ever smelled. I agree with Ody, it's ALL about cedar to me. At the moment, I really can't think of anything that truly captures the same feeling as Opus, but I'll keep thinking.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I will humbly disagree with everything I've seen suggested so far, except for Blenheim Bouquet, to some extent, because of the pepper.

It (Opus) is a very simple scent - pretty much just a very clear wood note and some pepper.

So with that in mind, I'd say the closest things I've tried are:

CdG Hinoki (lighter and more exotic wood)
    Gucci PH II (close, but dries down to generic musk)
    Terre d' Hermes (grapefruit and cedar and stone)
    Encre Noir (this one is close too, but a bit more exotic)

If there were a better substitute to Opus 1870, I'd own it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I will humbly disagree with everything I've seen suggested so far, except for Blenheim Bouquet, to some extent, because of the pepper.

It (Opus) is a very simple scent - pretty much just a very clear wood note and some pepper.

So with that in mind, I'd say the closest things I've tried are:

CdG Hinoki (lighter and more exotic wood)
    Gucci PH II (close, but dries down to generic musk)
    Terre d' Hermes (grapefruit and cedar and stone)
    Encre Noir (this one is close too, but a bit more exotic)

If there were a better substitute to Opus 1870, I'd own it.
    I don't know why but to me, Opus seems liek such a massively copied scent. I just KNOW that I smelled it somewhere before (I think in a hair gel or shampoo or maybe some deoderant).

And personally, I don't think this smells anything like Lalique Encre Noire or Gucci PH II. But I can see similarities between this and TdH.

THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHIGN VERY SIMILAR OUT THERE!!! I KNOW THERE IS

I think I remember people comparing it to Lalique Equus? I can't remember exactly. On a side note, my best friend's signature cologne is Burberrys for Men, and I don't think it smells a thing like Opus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

It is amusing to me that Penhaligon's website (recently redesigned, I might add) describes Opus 1870 as a woody chypre. Too bad none of the notes listed are traditional chypre notes.

They do list 3 woods. Sandalwood, Cedar and Ciara wood. What Ciara wood smells like I have no idea. What strikes me is that the wood is smoky (which they note at the website as well). I do get the pepper and some fruitiness as well. But to me, Opus 1870 is mostly about smoky woods. Very pleasant smelling to me; a wintry scent.

This, to me, is all about cloves, rose, and cedar. I would say the closest I can think of is Gucci Pour Homme II.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Last edited by Circa1905; 25th October 2009 at 02:32 AM.

I think Halston Catalyst is similar with the cloves and cedar.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I get a similar woody rose vibe from Comme des Garcons 2.
    It is another option.

Not the woods in Opus 1870, but the citrus/rose/florals/fruity-nuance of Opus smell sorta like Al Rehab Khaleeji...the peppery woods of Opus are their own thing.....not overly like Bang, but very peppery and with a similar texture. Terre D'Hermes isn't similar on scent so much, but in style & effect it's very much similar.

Encre Noir

I've always felt D.R. Harris marlborough cologne was a very similar cedar wood scent and I own both, though I much prefer opus. The marlborough is more of a traditional barber shop cologne and feels a bit more formal to me. Since buying the penhaligons before Xmas I've rarely touched the D.R. Harris.
    Last edited by rivers; 23rd June 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Poivre Samarcande has some similarities..

This might be a little off the wall, but I get a lot of similarities between opus and Rose 31, esp. with respect to the way the cedar is handled. Own both and love 'em.

L'artisan Navegar is a less robust Opus 1870, but still dominated by cedar and very dry.

Ok...Last month, when I was in Manhattan at Pasteurs Pharmaacy, I took a whiff of Penhaligon's 1870...I loved it, but I knew it was similar to something I already owned. I own very few colognes, but I knew, not only did i love Pen's 1870, but that I had something similar in my dresser drawer. What was it? I knew as soon as I put my nose to the bottle it was definitely similar to J. Peterman Co.'s 1903 cologne (which you can buy on jpeterman.com for $45). But if you stop reading there, then you are going to be surprised. After ordering Penhaligon's 1870 I did several comparisons. Although J. Peterman's 1903 and Penhaligon's Opus 1870 are very similar, the progressions are backwards. Opus 1870 begins with an unforgettable pepper and cedar note which, over time, adds a lovely rose note. J. Peterman's 1870 starts with a fantastic rose and cedar aroma. Eventually the rose note fades and the beautiful cedar note remains for a few hours.

Both are magnificent! Both unique. But J. Peterman's 1903 has more "instant character." While Penhaligon's 1870 gradually changes from pepper and cedar to rose, it seems that J. Peterman's 1903 pushes rose, pepper and cedar in your face and VERY gradually loses the rose.

Both are head-turners, both unique, but for half the price of the Penhaligons's, I must say that J. Peterman's 1903 Cologne offers a magnificent, uncommon, rose and cedar scent.

Dependent

nice first post GreatDane good to have you

This one is pretty unique. The only one that comes to mind as being slightly similar (in my collection) is Tea for Two. I've also seen it compared to Gucci II.

It reminds me of SL Chne.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit