Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why did you choose your Basenotes name?

I know this isn't directly related to fragrance. But it is related to a huge and growing family of fragrance lovers. I know that many people use thier own name or part of thier name. This is to those who have chosen otherwise.

I chose Jickyman after being drawn in by the story of the creation of Jicky and it's mystique. I liked how it became a popular unisex fragrance long before unisex or even male fragrances were made en masse or marketed. I don't even own Jicky yet! I then pronounced it Jicky like Hicky, not Zheeky. Jicky still intrigues me and I will own it. I've gotten samples of edp and try it when I'm at NM. The mythos of Jicky is kind of what got me started with frags with a big huge boost by BN.

OK AromiErotici, SirSlarty (slartybartfast?), TVlampboy, Gallleddrim, bokaba, gupts, DesGrieux, and so on....

btw: My real name is Scott--nice to be here.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Default Re: Why did you choose your Basenotes name?

It's my real name.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Luke is my name and I get lucky all the time.

Timothy Xavier.
    no creativity there. :\
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Mine is my domain name, which is derived from my last name.

Blog Entries

Rogalal is a bastardized combination of my first and last names, generated by a computer at a former job. I hate it as a community name now because it's not clever and it doesn't say anything about me. My favorite BN name, which I would happily use for myself if it wasn't already taken is GourmandHomme.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Rogalal---I can relate--I'd change my name to something else besides Jickyman.
    Last edited by JickyMan; 26th October 2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.

OK, moon_fish has no perfume origins.
    I make it for other purposes (e-mail, blog, etc.) and it has relations with Arizona Dreams film by great Emir Kusturiza I was adored at the times.
    And it`s the film as strange as my tastes in perfumery, it has the same non-mainstream intention.

My perfumery nickname could have something about Vetiver, Cuir, Ambergris or Iris.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I lived abroad for 15 years so was a constant foreigner.... then I moved back home and felt like a foreigner there.... I tend to use this name on a lot of sites, not just here, and have used it a fairly long time.

Basenotes Plus

I chose mine because I used to really like Libertine by Vivienne Westwood and I really liked the meaning of the word, free thinking and all that malarkey. Pretty much sums me up really.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Because it was given to me, at birth.

I chose TigerJuice because of my skin chemistry. I quite often experience poor longevity and sillage with fragrances. For some reason I thought it was clever at the time.

I am actually getting tired of it now and I am considering changing it to something related to my real name. However, we should all remember that Basenotes is on the Internet and the importance of online privacy.

Dependent

Nothing creative here as well. My real name Matthew, with Foo being my last/family name, and has absolutely nothing to do with Foo Fighters.

Because it is the name of one of my fave film directors, and it is not difficulty recognizable, while having a certain niche appeal (yet not "niche" exclusively in the fragrance-related sense of the word...)

My family are all German, and because I moved to the UK as a child,they always refer to me as "Der Inselaffe"(The Island Monkey).
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 26th October 2009 at 08:31 AM.

A double reference to Aristotle as well as a more vernacular, hedonistic "laissez-les-bon-temps rouler" conception of "the good life". No reference to the Davidoff scent, actually.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm from Zagreb - ZG, ZGB, no mystery or creativity there

andyjreid - my name is Andrew Jon Reid
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

My signature should be enough to decipher my Basenotes name, with a whimsical twist at the end.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    A double reference to Aristotle as well as a more vernacular, hedonistic "laissez-les-bon-temps rouler" conception of "the good life". No reference to the Davidoff scent, actually.
    There's also a band called The good life. I'm not a fan of that band, but I think it's the better band than Creed. Lol!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Because I like gourmand-y scents best, and this despite the fact that I'm soooo not a foodie at all.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I came up with this name about 10 years ago when I first starting using the Internet and have used it as my online name ever since. The name itself comes from the comic book series "Warlands" which I used to read growing up.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

To register with BaseNotes i had to supply a username, which i hadn't thought about before then. "Perf" is a kind of Nigerian patois word for perfume, fragrances, etc. And yes, i acknowledge my addiction to frags, so i chose the name "perfaddict" there and then. Like having to think of a name fast after knocking a door and being asked "who's there?".
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

When I joined this site, I was listening to a lot of Indochine, and they have a song from the 80s called "L'aventurier." I figured that since I was on a quest for the perfect fragrance, my Basenotes experience would be somewhat of an adventure. Thus the name (ie. The Adventurer), to the fit the fragrant adventure.
    Sales thread here

I play some jazz trumpet, and I consider myself relatively spontaneous.

And back when I choose this name, I was particularly impressed with the YSL fragrance of the same name. Now I don't even own it. Go figure!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

it's my email and also the name my ex gave me + my birthyear

Basenotes Plus

Before Basenotes, I was a regular at pricescope.com - a community of diamond enthusiasts. I chose 'Diamondflame' as a well cut diamond sometimes look as though it holds a burning flame within its depths. Typical Libra that I am, I love beauty in all its permutations - be it in diamonds or in fragrances.

Name with a inside joke story and I've used it on boards for years. Basically it is poking fun at how when people can't remember other people's names they assign names to them and will be like..."Hey there Tough guy." "Hey their buddy." "Haven't seen you in awhile my man." So my friends and I used to do it to each other all the time...Cool guy was another one. So ToughCool was my joke to it. Dumb but funny to me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

My name is Italian for the character "Harlequin"...my favorite character of the Commedia dell'arte.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

from Sandro, my real name

I work in the music industry where I specialize in electronic music. MIDI is an acronym for "Musical Instrument Digital Interface."
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Thumbs up Re: Why did you choose your Basenotes name?

People called me this back in Jr. High and all the way through high school.

I've been using mine since I was about sixteen. It's from a Bush song called The people that we love. The 00's are just in the middle to break it up, but people always think it says speedo like the swimsuit.
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

My real Name plus town I'm from ( BG - Belgrade )

From Castor & Pollux, mythological figures, of which one was a boxer, a sport I practice.

Was feeling lazy and uncreative. First name.last initial.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

I don’t know… It sounded weird enough.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Its my real name.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Because Dionysus was taken?

I don't like mine and when I come up with something better, I'll ask Grant to have mercy and help me out on a switch. I'm planning on becoming a supporting member. I get so much use out of this board that its a shame not to support it!

Edt: My name means "one who studies scent" that is, until I can change it hopefully
    Last edited by Scentologist; 26th October 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    My signature should be enough to decipher my Basenotes name, with a whimsical twist at the end.
    I still don't know the person in your avatar. Is this a person with a TV series?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks for all the responses. I've wondered the same about Snafu--if he was a magician or wild and crazy tv host. I've also wondered who the artist of MikePerez and Docman's avatar photos were. Hirch, I wondered if you were a Django Reinhart style guitar player. I'm glad that it's your real name--pretty cool. Ahh yes Castor and Pollux-also the brightest stars in the Gemini constellation. Tons of fun info.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Its my real name.
    I'll vouch for that
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Stroll your lobster. I get that 'stroll' isn't a transitive verb but I liked the sound of it. Or the thing of it, anyway. Some sort of eccentric leisure activity. Sport, even. The poet Nerval is said to have walked around Paris with a lobster in a floppy bow on the end of a string. They were both wearing floppy bows but to be clear only the lobster was on a string. And then Paul Muldoon wrote a poem about that and some other stuff called "Something Else." And at the time I joined Basenotes I was thinking a lot about leisure and being openly oneself. And I sort of like the idea that people often have that it's divided into 'Strolly, our lobster." Both are good with me.

Trufflehunter: that irrepressible badger and purveyor of fine truffles from C.S.Lewis' Narnia books.
    I use it everywhere and I'm thoroughly sick of it!
    It has some relevance, I suppose, because I'm always sniffing around looking for something...
    Nothing to do with the crazy sheep in my avatar! That's just me being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    , SirSlarty (slartybartfast?),
    I design fjords in my free time.

It's my real name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Stroll your lobster. I get that 'stroll' isn't a transitive verb but I liked the sound of it. Or the thing of it, anyway. Some sort of eccentric leisure activity. Sport, even. The poet Nerval is said to have walked around Paris with a lobster in a floppy bow on the end of a string. They were both wearing floppy bows but to be clear only the lobster was on a string. And then Paul Muldoon wrote a poem about that and some other stuff called "Something Else." And at the time I joined Basenotes I was thinking a lot about leisure and being openly oneself. And I sort of like the idea that people often have that it's divided into 'Strolly, our lobster." Both are good with me.
    I was wondering about your name! It made me think of the "Lobster Quadrille" from Alice in Wonderland.

Mine: We have 30 rose bushes in our garden...had, that is, until winter killed 2. But we may replace them so I'm not ready to be 28 Roses yet!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 26th October 2009 at 11:29 PM.

Simon Moon is a Character from Robert Anton Wilson's and Robert Shea's post modern sc-fi/occult/conspiracy novels (or are they really philosophy books in disguise?), Illuminatus!

Moon's character has no religious, political, philosophical dogmas. I try to emulate.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 26th October 2009 at 11:47 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Last edited by DesGrieux; 27th October 2009 at 09:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    And at the time I joined Basenotes I was thinking a lot about leisure and being openly oneself.
    Me too.

I am, basically, that. I was aiming for some kind of disclosure, I think. I know it was a good choice, because a couple of weeks ago, my wife spontaneously blurted out, in her charming version of English, "Aaaahhh! I marry hillbilly perfume person!" If only she knew how close she came to my super-secret Basenotes name! Although I have shown her some of the hilarious posts people have made on here, as well as the super-secret BN salute (wrist raised to nose). She just kind of does this:

I use this name for most of my forum usernames. (Really Because I'm A KC Celeb LOL)

The G is for my first name Gary..... The numbers 303 are for my last name Zoz.....Yes.....that's my last name.....when written it looks like 303.....I also could have been 202.....this was my nick-name for a very long time.
    Gary

There's a song of which some of the words go, "I love your sunny face, your sunny, funny face...." and after a day of shopping with my mom when I was 12, that song, along with my then-proclivity towards anything having to do with little fishies, bore me a nickname that has since been divided into two parts. Sunnyfunny is the first part, and the easiest to explain.

This is an awesome thread, by the way, I'm so enjoying reading the responses!

for obvious reasons
    thread reviver

Guess what I have! "Easily recognizable," I tell people.

I've always been interested in ghosts and other things of the like and Canwll Corfe is old welsh for "corpse candle". I read a story about them and they're little lights that bob through graveyards at night and are harbingers of death. Here in the US they're called "graveyard lights" and are said to represent spirits.. but that's boring.

Mine is taken from the name of one of the best strategists in history, Zhuge Liang of Shu Han during the Three Kingdoms Period of China.

I'm a retired Marine, and I did not want to use just that one name. And we sometimes refer to our selves as Soldiers of the Sea or Sea soldiers. In other words, we are Navy Infantry or Sea Infantry.