Code of Conduct

Wink Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classics

Dear gentlemen of Basentoes, especially the young one I'm herewith addressing myself to, how many of you are actually very young (not necessarily as in biological age) and still like to wear very classy, formal, conservative, powerhouse or simply timeless male frags (very young ladies with a similar passion for classics are also politely invited to feel free to post), which, usually, one would associate with cliche of "daddy/grandpa" scents (although, if this classic frag happens to be a vaulted vintage Creed, Guerlain, Floris etc. costing huge sums of money at auctions today, your daddy/grandpa must have been a high roller, a tycoon or simply a very stylish guy, if he has worn these classics before they were discontinued).
    Now, there are subtle cutoff lines between powerhouse/classic/conservative scents, since they are never synonyms or homonyms and therefore, because of these many subgroups, these frags can actually be liked by lots of different potential customers or target-groups, even among the younger ones.
    Me, for instance, I'm 26 and I love to wear frags with either classic or "modern classic" feel, like Eau Sauvage, even good-quality affordable ones like Old Spice, C & E Sandalwood colognes (both versions) and Tabac Original, also Versace PH, Antaeus, Halston Z14, Knize Ten, Capucci PH, Grey Flannel and Guerlain Vetiver.
    At any rate, I admire young gentlemen and young ladies, who can pull off classic frags without seeming "prematurely aged" (in he strictly fragrance-related terms of the word, meaning, without being derogatory, somehow antiquated and dated). That doesn't mean I don't like "youthful" frags, but in spite of some stunning recent or very avant-garde creations, I couldn't quite cope without some classics too.
    Please feel free to post any similar stories.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 3rd November 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Dependent

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classi

Good thread K_R!

Like you, I enjoy a good handful of recent/newer releases, but my wardrobe would never be complete without quite a number of earlier classics/scents.

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classi

Im 20 soon and i LOVE Kouros. My ex liked Rive Gauche Intense on me. I actually like classic, "old"/"mature" frag much better than the young ones.

And i'm a CRAZY fan of powerhouses
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 26th October 2009 at 09:46 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I threw out the age labels for colognes out of the window after i bought Antaeus. I've bought quite a few newer releases but time and time again it's the classics i go back to. But i hope you guys don't dismiss the newer releases so soon. A small minority are rather good too.

I'm 26 btw.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 26th October 2009 at 10:02 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Guerlain Vetiver
    Grey Flannel
    Escada Pour Homme
    and
    Dunhill Edition

LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I congratulate you gentlemen (and Ladies) for displaying the Cojones it takes to wear and enjoy these Classics. Keep it up,you're showing Class and taste

dunno how young i would be (32 years old here), but i wear bois du portugal and guerlain vetiver vintage eau de cologne without even thinking twice. i also have cuir de russie on its way, too, though i hope i don't fall in love with it. seems it will be harder to get moving forward...

don't let the connotations of "old man" scents get to you. wear what you like, and wear it however you want.

eric b
    Last edited by e-dub; 27th October 2009 at 02:43 AM.

I'm 28 and I would say a significant portion of my wardrobe falls into those categories, I love aldehydes, '80s powerhouse frags and otherwise "perfume-y" perfumes. I attribute it to family members who wore these types of scents while I was growing up. Somehow, instead of falling into the camp of people who hate perfume because of the likes of Poison, etc, I became mesmerized and was always playing with the perfumes and makeup on my mom's dressing table.

The fragrance that basically kick-started my hobby was rediscovering the original Fendi on sale in the clearance rack at my local pharmacy. I remembered my mom used to wear it and was planning on buying it for her as a gift, I ended up getting a bottle for me too. Emmanual Ungaro Diva and Balenciaga Rumba soon followed, then it was dabbling with Arpege, L'Air du Temps, Je Reviens and it all went downhill from there .

I wear strictly very "mature" scents, look at my wardrobe. I refuse to wear the childish watery colognes of these days

Btw, I'm 23
    Last edited by InconcievableZen; 27th October 2009 at 08:26 AM.

I think all the younger folks here including myself don't mind (and wear) classics.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    I wear strictly very "mature" scents, look at my wardrobe. I refuse to wear the childish watery colognes of these days

Btw, I'm 23
    This is the spirit !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I'm 18 and I've retired from wearing my first and ever bottle of Acqua di Gio for half a year.

Of those the OP listed, I own and wear only Knize Ten and Guerlain Vetiver, but I also own some controversial, feminine or vintage fragrances.

I ain't young , not anymore , but I have had the pleasure of using the classics for over 30 yrs
    In 1981 alone we were introduced to :

Kouros
    Antaeus
    Bijan
    Cacharel
    Calvin
    Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Santos

Now those were the days !! real music , real cologne & ................ anyway I hope to keep using these for another 30yrs .
    Be good to older people you youngsters , cause if you get close enough they could smell just like you

Last edited by Dimitrios; 27th October 2009 at 01:33 PM.

It's so great to see people of all age groups already enjoying and/or (re-) discovering the classics.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 27th October 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Is Armani Code a "mature" scent?

I'm 24. Equipage is as close as I've come to a signature.

Also,

Acqua di Parma
    Escada PH
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Aramis
    Antaeus
    Heritage
    Kouros
    Caron PuH
    Several of the old "Pour Hommes"...YSL, Chanel, Givenchy

And many others.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th October 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    Is Armani Code a "mature" scent?
    I don't think so. Terribly popular among the youngest crowd. And then...no "classic structure" either, rather a 'modern' composition with all the implications you might have with the term 'modern'...

I'm 23, and I also feel that most designer releases nowadays are too much childish, lacking some real elegance or sophistication.

Some powerhouses that I like are: Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme, Kouros, Santos, Antaeus, Cacharel, Azzaro... Unfortunately, I think their use are restriced to refined situations (not to go to a club, for example).

There are still some recent frags inspired by those 80's powerhouses, but with a more modern development. Some of them I like (Rive Gauche pour homme), some of them I dislike, like Narciso for Him (I think it has a fruity note that ruins everything).

Basenotes Plus

I'm in my late 30s. While I applaud the youngsters for their use of classics, my gut feel says you still need to reach a certain maturity level before you can pull off some of these classics with real aplomb. Much like how cigars seem to look much better on older guys...? *shrugs*
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th October 2009 at 04:56 PM.

I wonder what it requires before I could pull off Shalimar.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I'm in my late 30s. While I applaud the youngsters for their use of classics, my gut feel says you still need to reach a certain maturity level before you can pull off some of these classics with real aplomb. Much like how cigars seem to look much better on older guys...? *shrugs*
    IMO, fragances has nothing to do with age, but with style. Surely those frags are not very suitable on a basic tshirt and jeans, but I think anyone could fit them very well with the right outfit and situation.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vitorscpaiva View Post
    IMO, fragances has nothing to do with age, but with style. Surely those frags are not very suitable on a basic tshirt and jeans, but I think anyone could fit them very well with the right outfit and situation.
    That part about style is very true but only to a certain extent. What I was actually referring to is not age but 'maturity' which is not exactly the same as 'age'. And I'm not just talking about carrying off a style or a look, but rather hitting the nail on the head with it. Like when someone says a scent is so 'you'...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th October 2009 at 05:35 PM.

I'm
    Last edited by hammersj; 6th December 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Im 28 and I love the likes of Knize Ten, Anteus, Pour Monsieur, Tabac (shave soap is ace), Eucris (and other trumpers going way back), Bois du Portugal (I class it in that power house genre), however I also like what may become future classics/modern powerhouse like M7 & Rive Gauche PH.

I appreciate well made cologne based fragrances like Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo but at the same time I love Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina EdC which is a cheapy.

I also like the modern Creeds Himalaya and Millesime Imperiale but my next purchase os going to be a bottle of Bois du Portugal. To me it contains excellent sillage and longevity and it almost takes a pinch of all the 80's greats and puts it together and comes out with an amazingly flexible yet grown up scent.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What I was actually referring to is not age but 'maturity' which is not exactly the same as 'age'. And I'm not just talking about carrying off a style or a look, but rather hitting the nail on the head with it. Like when someone says a scent is so 'you'...
    I agree with you. For me it's one thing which fragrance appeals to me - and which looks a bit like "too much" for now. Meanwhile I firmly believe that Azzaro pour Homme just doesn't fit yet - if compared to the way it fits my father (50 y.o.), for example. He can wear that and you believe it. Manly, experienced, rugged etc.

(I think it was pluran who once stated you could wear anything, but you should be "as evolved" as the fragrance.)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 27th October 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I wonder what it requires before I could pull off Shalimar.
    If you really like it, trust me, just a couple of wearings at home or one of those days when you feel like saying "f*** you" to the world

I was 24 when I inherited bottles of cologne belonging to my Grandfather, of which, Souvenir Royal by Roger & Gallet was my favorite. My brother took the bottle when he moved out of our parent's home, so everytime I go to visit him I go to the bathroom (he has got them in display) and steal him some. That particular fragrance is not listed in the directory. Amazing as it may seem, smells excellently good.

I' rather smell dated than using actual scents I find displeasing.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post

Btw, I'm 23
    Except fir Bois de orage

Heyyyy!! So interesting to see the ages!!
    I'm 29 and got into "the perfume hobby" only about 2 years ago..always wonder why it took so long!!
    I looove the classic Guerlains (Jicky,what would I do without you!?), Habanita, Chanel no 22...and so on..and just got me a bottle of Patou Cocktail...so,yes, I'm in the club!

The advantage of wearing the classics is that it's more likely that you don't smell like anyone else around you because it's less likely that the sheeples are wearing them.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I do not mind whatsoever wearing the classics and heavier frags
    my only issue is since I am an undergrad student
    I have to be conservative with what I wear, as I do not want to disturb my fellow class mates
    plus due to the beard I'm growing, they fit nicley with me ^_^
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

It's funny to me to see comments about Kouros and other 80s power frags being "appropriate" for a man in his late teens or early 20s....I'm an old lady, and to me, frags like Kouros, original Polo, and Drakkar Noir just SCREAM 20 year old boy...because, when I was that age, those were the scents that soaked all of my male peers! It's all perspective, I suppose.

AND, I'll add my thumbs up to all of you who choose to explore the path beyond the narrow scope of current Aquatic/Aquatic/Aquatic trends in male fragrances. If you are similarly interested in classic scents originally designed for women, you are certainly invited and welcome to join the "Scent of an Old Woman" social group linked in my signature. We think smelling like an "old woman" or an "old man" can be a wonderful thing! Scent yourself like the person you want to become, that's what I think!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Hello Ken,
    I'm 22 and I've always loved classic perfumes!I even wore Chanel no5 in high school.In my opinion it is a matter of taste.I love Fracas,Musc Ravageur.L'Heure Bleue,Habanita,they suit me well and I'm feeling myself wearing them.It's all about skin chemistry.I've tested several perfumes marketed for people in my age and I ddn't like them much!I also adore Santa Maria Novella,acqua di Parma,Detaillé and Galimard colognes for the summer.It's all about taste I think!

I admire the advernturous young people who try perfumes of all vintages, esp. the older scents.

Too many young men's scents smell all the same...citrusy with a dash of vetiver here and there...no sillage and no masculine statement. Very forgetable.

For a man, his perfume should be likened to a firearm, judged by its range and knockdown power! LOL! (As perfume is a weapon in the art of seduction, Juliette Has A Gun made a purse perfume shaped like a 50 cal. bullet...so yet another metaphor of "perfume as seductive weapon.")

While I am all for wear-what-you-like and the heck with labels, if one chooses to wear something out of the ordinary (gender or age-wise), more power to 'em.

I have been fascinated by perfume since childhood, when I spilled a bottle of Soir de Paris...

The bullet purse scent: http://www.beautyhabit.com/product7112.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

24 years old - absolutely love vintage Guerlains, but I simply can't wear them unless I'm spending the night alone. If I wear something like Mitsouko out in public, all the girls that are my age tell me "OMG you smell like grandma."

I do, however, wear Invasion Barbare which smells to me like an updated version of Jicky. I also wear Eau d'Orange Verte which is also midway between classic and modern smelling. It's not that classic fragrances smell "old," but the associations that others have with them are detrimental to my smelly aura.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 30th October 2009 at 06:27 PM.
    Sales thread here

AromiErotici

My current rotation is as follows :

Opium EDP
    Antaeus Sport
    Monsieur Carven
    Original Gucci Pour Homme
    Aigner Superfragrance
    Capucci Punjab
    MCM Success
    MCM Twenty Four Evening
    Patou Pour Homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    MPG Santal Noble
    Vintage Aramis Havana
    Original Ungaro III
    Maitre Tailleurs L' Eau du Tailleur
    Rochas Macassar
    Eau de Patou
    Versailles Pour Homme
    i Profumi di Firenze Dolce Patchouli
    Sybaris by Puig
    Carven Homme
    Tiffany for Men
    Giorgio Beverly Hills
    MCM Black Silver
    Vintage Habit Rouge EDC
    Sagamore Lancome

I'm 53 and will always wear stud frags.

Basenotes Institution

I'm in my late 30s but when I was very young I only wore classics - I was only drawn to the classics. I would go on to say that I would only seek out the real classics and I was never attracted to any new scents like people of my age when I was young. My sister thought it was odd that I would not touch CK whatever etc.....
    I wore Mitsouko when I was in my early 20s and continued to do so for some years.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th October 2009 at 09:41 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm an old man and while I've been very particular about my fragrances over the years I'm also new to thinking seriously about fragrances and how they are structured.

That said, I have always thought that we choose fragrances to project something internal...maybe just the way we see or think of ourselves.

If you feel like a flower...delicate, sweet, attractive to bees...you may like some of the newer fragrances on the market for men and maybe even those designed for women. If you think of yourself as edible or you work in the food industry you may very well want to smell like vanilla or coffee or cherries.

I have always worked with my hands...and I have always had a preference for the kinds of smells that I associate with the raw materials and workmanship that lasts for centuries. Right now I am working with a wax that is formulated primarily from Swedish Pitch. I just wish that I could find a fragrance that captures that smell. It is bold and earthy and unique and it speaks to something very old and rich and redolent and deep in the human psyche...or at least this human's psyche.

But I am usually surrounded by the aromas from oak tanned leather; and the smells that come off a piece of ebony or Osage Orange when it is on the lathe. Even bone and Ivory. These notes all resonate with human beings from time out of mind.

Those are the kinds of notes I look for...and have since I was young and will till I'm gone.

What I'm wearing or jonesing for...
    Yatagan
    Eau du Fier
    Black Tourmaline
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Tabarome Milliisime...waiting for Vintage Tabarome
    Black Walnut sometimes
    Z-14 when I feel like I can spare it from the almost empty bottle
    Interested in Fumidus
    Last edited by DWFII; 31st October 2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

I am 26 and have been wearing Bois du Portugal for a few years now. I love a good, strong, powerhouse of a scent.

I've been wearing fragrances since i was 15, i'm 31 now. My father used to work in the industry and every now and then he brought home some Boss fragrances. He used to wear Boss Number One, i guess that's why i really like the stronger, male fragrances.

Caron - Yatagan
    Puig - Quorum
    Gucci - Nobile
    Aramis - Aramis
    Chanel - Egoiste
    Chanel - Antaeus
    YSL - Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    I'm an old man and while I've been very particular about my fragrances over the years I'm also new to thinking seriously about fragrances and how they are structured.

That said, I have always thought that we choose fragrances to project something internal...maybe just the way we see or think of ourselves.

If you feel like a flower...delicate, sweet, attractive to bees...you may like some of the newer fragrances on the market for men and maybe even those designed for women. If you think of yourself as edible or you work in the food industry you may very well want to smell like vanilla or coffee.

I have always worked with my hands...and I have always had a preference for the kinds of smells that I associate with the raw materials and workmanship that lasts for centuries. Right now I am working with a wax that is formulated primarily from Swedish Pitch. I just wish that I could find a fragrance that captures that smell. It is bold and earthy and unique and it speaks to something very old and rich and redolent in the human psyche...or at least this human's psyche. I

But I am usually surrounded by the aromas from oak tanned leather; and the smells that come off a piece of ebony or Osage Orange when it is on the lathe. Even bone and Ivory. These notes all resonate with human beings from time out of mind.

Those are the kinds of notes I looks for...and have since I was young and will till I'm gone.
    I like your honesty and directness in your tastes.

I, too, have certain preferences. I despise, for instance, Britney Spears' Fantasy, which, IMHO, is a concoction of vanilla cupcake accord mixed with weak flowers. The sillage can fill an entire house. One of the members of our family wears it.

As much as I dislike many scents, I will defend an individual's right to wear the scent of his choice...as long as it's not under my roof. LOL!

I agree that we choose scents for a varity of reasons...to remind us of certain things, people or events. I sometimes choose to wear ELdO Jasmin et Cigarette EDP as an homage to my favourite 19th century dandy, the Comte d'Orsay, known for (apart from his fashion trend-setting, art and art connoisseurship) his love of eau de jasmin and his smoking cigars and cigarettes.

Maybe I can push this homage a bit more and wear "Turpentine, Lavender, Jasmin et Cigarette," for a more authentic scent to pay tribute to the Comte! The turpentine would provide a nice pine accord, made from the French Pinus pinaster tree. The oil of spike lavender, also used in oil painting, would be a nice lavender accord. LOL!

http://chestofbooks.com/health/aroma...ntine-Oil.html

https://store.studioproducts.com/Oil...e-p-16136.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 31st October 2009 at 05:07 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am the age of finest scotch - to quote american pie

18 it is.

I enjoy alot of old, mature, powerhousy stuff as well.

Rive Gauche ph
    Azzaro ph
    Original Polo
    Yatagan
    Habit Rouge
    Knize10
    Eau Sauvage FC
    Black Jeans (does that count)
    Feminine frags as Caleche, Givenchy §
    ANTAEUS of course
    Strong, balsamic Incense frags
    Cuir Ottoman
    and lots of others

The comments by DWFII (welcome sir, by the way) and Primose bring to mind the following scent: Comme des Garcons/Monocle's Hinoki which has many admirers. A very bold, focused attention paid to resinous wood. It strikes some as turpentine and others as a heavenly wood-shop.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I like your honesty and directness in your tastes.
    [snip]
    As much as I dislike many scents, I will defend an individual's right to wear the scent of his choice...as long as it's not under my roof. LOL!
    Like you, I don't much care what other folks wear.

But as a certified curmudgeon I do wonder if people give enough thought to what image they are projecting. I think that heavy, earthy, animalistic fragrances disturb people of both sexes primarily because they are perceived as threatening on so many levels--physical, emotional, sexual...maybe even a certain entrenched complacence (in the best sense of the word) that comes with many years of facing and overcoming life's many challenges.

And modern society really can't handle that kind of visceral statement.

I'm not talking, mind you, of the bored insouciance or the defiant iconoclasm of the younger generation...most of that comes from not really knowing what you like or even who you are.

But to my mind many of the more modern frags are designed specifically to not disturb...to be as innocuous and as neutered as possible. As indistinct from the crowd as one leaf from the other. I think it is very possible to have some very distinct fragrances with great silage and surprising drydowns, etc., that in the end are just sort of "common" if only because they are "of a piece" with all the others, as who should say.

I've not yet found my ideal fragrance...although there have been periods in my life when I was pretty happy with what I was wearing. Even in my list below, I have some reservations.

(And thanks for the welcome)

Yatagan
    Eau du Fier
    Black Tourmaline
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Black Walnut sometimes
    Interested in Fumidus
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Well, good to seeing we're having a maturity-fest here, I'm all for the classics. But sometimes it depends on the situation. You can't go into a hip, electronica club smelling like a barber shop. Sorry, say what you want, but it just wouldn't work. At the classy steakhouse down the street, sure. Trance dancing to Digweed? sorry, no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frip View Post
    Well, good to seeing we're having a maturity-fest here, I'm all for the classics. But sometimes it depends on the situation. You can't go into a hip, electronica club smelling like a barber shop. Sorry, say what you want, but it just wouldn't work. At the classy steakhouse down the street, sure. Trance dancing to Digweed? sorry, no chance.
    Let's be fair--none of my choices...as one set of examples...even begins to resemble a barbershop. Most barbershop fragrances are just as insipid as any contemporary floral arrangement of notes.

As for trance dancing to Digweed, you've got me there, boyo. I don't know what I was thinking!

Yatagan
    Eau du Fier
    Black Tourmaline
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Black Walnut sometimes
    Interested in Fumidus
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Smile Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classi

I recently bought a 22 ounce porter house steak in Michigan. When I received my supper, it had to have been every bit of 28 ounces. Seriously. I felt as though I had won the lottery. It is not very often that I spend 35 bucks on supper, so when half a cow ended up on my plate, I knew that I got what I had payed for.

Lately I feel like my fragrance purchases are much the same. When I spend good money on a scent, I am usually irate when it disappears in an hour. It seems like powerhouse frags have become the olfactory equivalents of my porterhouse steak.

I recently bought Annick Goutal Incens Flamboyant, and it is there until I wash it off. The same goes for Equipage, Kouros, Quorum, Antaeus, Eau Sauvage, Paco Rabanne, Modern Reserve, Gucci PH, Guerlain Vetiver, 3ieme Homme, Egoiste, Kenzo Homme, Havana, Habit Rouge, Fahrenheit, and Aramis. (to name a few)..and time has not yet christened Roadster this status, but to my nose, it is a powerhouse. It doesn't seem to get much love around these parts, but it has incredible longevity.

I am 33, but I have been wearing Kouros since I was in the 10th grade. It will always be in my rotation, despite the frequent cat pee references I see so often noted here. (my wife tells me I smell like a musty attic when I wear it, but I can't stop)

In the end, I will tell you what I tell her: I do not wear fragrances for other people. And just like that side of beef I ordered last week, powerhouse fragrances lead me to believe that I get what I payed for.
    Last edited by scentaddiction; 1st November 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Like you, I don't much care what other folks wear.

But as a certified curmudgeon I do wonder if people give enough thought to what image they are projecting. I think that heavy, earthy, animalistic fragrances disturb people of both sexes primarily because they are perceived as threatening on so many levels--physical, emotional, sexual...maybe even a certain entrenched complacence (in the best sense of the word) that comes with many years of facing and overcoming life's many challenges.
    DWFII, I think the world needs more curmudgeons, as you call yourself...namely people who call it as they see it, undeterred by the "Emperor's New Clothes" attitude people tend to adopt. I like an honest, heart-felt opinion.

According to aromatherapy, each scent has the ability to induce a certain mood. As you mention, animalistic scents might be disturbing to people (frightened if the associations of strong scents), so most seek the safety of insipid floral or light citrus scents.

Notes such as jasmine, rose and ylang-ylang are very strong aphrodiacs. This frightens some men and women. As this thread notes the "powerhouse" scents, they are afraid of the power of scent and how it can influence our behaviour. And I *think* we all know that personage of history known for his unabashed use of eau de jasmine! (See my avatar.)

Men (and women) seem afraid of the power of sexual attraction found in perfume. Many modern scents seem too "safe." I must again state the powerful attraction of man unabashed of his masculinity; only the most timid woman would be attracted to a man in some watery, no-sillage scent. This, IMHO, is the normal reaction of the interested female to the strutting and displaying, and likewise interested, male.

Granted, sometimes one must wear a safe scent, such as in a work environment where one cannot be too overt or controversial in either dress or scent.

Nevertheless, wearing a strong scent is a wonderful way of broadcasting one's virility; sadly, this is not done too much for fear of "correctness" and conformity.

A man dressed "to the nines" and wearing a strong scent is, IMHO, like a buck displaying his rack of ten points and his swollen neck, or a strutting peacock in full fan. He is proud of being a male, attracting the adminration of the ladies, and making a statement (challenge or intimidation) to the other males. A woman's primal, gut-level instinct tells her that he is the ideal mate. (I prefer to think of the strutting, perfumed dandy with the testosterone-thick beard... LOL!) No small surprise that both the peacock's tail feathers and the buck's antlers are shed after the courting season as both are instruments that are used to impress the girls.

I applaud the younger perfume wearers who dare to step outside the insipid modern offferings out there.

Then again, all zoology and anthropology aside, as JaimeB states, sometimes you just want to "smell good."
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st November 2009 at 06:29 PM.

A man dressed "to the nines and wearing a strong scent is, IMHO, like a buck displaying his rack of ten points and his swollen neck, or a strutting peacock in full fan. He is proud of being a male, attracting the adminration of the ladies, and making a statement (challenge or intimidation) to the other males.
    Kind of like this?

Last edited by DWFII; 1st November 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Kind of like this?

For sure, yes!!

What is often initially very feminine at first glance (such as the use of perfume/scent or the wearing of the kilt) can be actually quite distinctively masculine. Is that you? In this day and age, nothing is more attractive than a man in the kilt! (Ever since girlhood, I loved to attend the performances of the Highland regimental bands and swooned over the swing of the kilt!) Those Black Watch boys, the gallant Gordons, the Argyle & Sutherlands... (swoon) BTW, I was also a Highland dancer in my youth, mostly Ghille Callum and the Argyle Broadswords, which are considered traditionally masculine "sword" dances, i.e. warrior dances. Ladies from Hell, indeed.

I am oft unabashed at my admiration of the gorgeous Comte d'Orsay, a dandy of the late Georgian and Early Victorian period--one of my all-time heart-throbs. At first glance, it all looks so oddly feminine: the curves, the chains, the corset, the perfume. But when one looks at the particulars--the powerful and long legs (from standing in stirrups), the broad chest, the virile beard (the chap was 6'3")--in the words of historian Blanche Payne, "the harmony of the lines created by the curve of this shawl collar, the fall of his watch chain, and the crease and lapel lines of his coat is pleasing enough to warrant modern adaptation. It is difficult to conjure up a more dashing figure." :bounce: Enough to make any doe or peahen sigh!

A man who pays attention to how he looks and smells is truly masculine, IMHO.

Girls need to throw off the modern media preconceptions of what really makes a man.

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=sit&rNo=1

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=sit&rNo=2

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=sit&rNo=9
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st November 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Is that you?
    Oh, aye.

But I'd never see the kilt as in any way feminine. It predates trousers and has too many militaristic associations (see my avatar)...and women never wore anything so "exposed" until relatively modern times.

Besides, "in this day and age," oft times when I'm out with my wife, I'm the only one...male or female...who is not in trousers.

To tell the awful truth, I'd like to find a look that hasn't been co-opted by women...for whatever obscure reason.

Being the curmudgeon that I am, I'm not fond of sharing.

PS...on edit...your initial remarks put me in mind of an article that appeared about a year ago in one of the UK newspapers that compared a man wearing a kilt to to a woman entering a room in a form fitting scarlet dress with a very low cut bodice. I'm not sure that the motivations are the same but the effect may be. Goes back to what I was saying about social and gender anonymity...as does the issue of everyone wearing trousers--it's a uniform, isn't it? Fragrances are, or can be, the same way.
    Last edited by DWFII; 1st November 2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Oh, aye.

But I'd never see the kilt as in any way feminine. It predates trousers and has too many militaristic associations (see my avatar)...and women never wore anything so "exposed" until relatively modern times.

Besides, "in this day and age," oft times when I'm out with my wife, I'm the only one...male or female...who is not in trousers.

To tell the awful truth, I'd like to find a look that hasn't been co-opted by women...for whatever obscure reason.

Being the curmudgeon that I am, I'm not fond of sharing.
    I think many people mistake the kilt as a feminine garment because it's used by women in the form of a kilt skirt and transformed into schoolgirl uniforms.

The Germans during WWII, of course, called Highland troops the "ladies from Hell," remarking on both the kilt and the troops' ferocity. During the Indian Rebellion in the 1850s, the Indians mistook the kilted Highlanders for women at first. Cultural misunderstandings. Many cultures still embrace tradition men's dress for certain occasions: the Greek foustanela and the Japanese kimono.

I think the formal kilt with Prince Charlie coatee is a dashing alternative to men's evening wear of black-tie or white tie (tux or tails.) Garter flashes, ghillie shoes and all.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Photo
    and latest Boucheron pourHomme edP (very classy stuff)

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classics

I too enjoy the classics, and so wish the majority of my fellow citizens were as tasteful as you denizens above. Maybe in the next life...

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classics

I'm a teenager and I dress like a grandpa and smell like my grandmother. Thats the style these days.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I love you all.
    You're all invited to my place for dinner.
    What conversations and fun we'll all have!

This is one of the best threads I've read in ages and one of the few that I have read in their entirety.
    Long Live the Classics

I'm about the same age as DiamondFlame, late 30's and I am an example of the opposite of this thread. The youth of my 20's seems a long way away to me, and yet I only seem to like modern frags (classic Cologne style being the exception, but then they are not powerhouses).

An example that springs to mind is JHL. I love cinnamon, but JHL is too, erm, oppressive for me to handle.

I'm still very much a 'Jeans and Ts' kind of guy, I haven't changed my style since I was a Uni student 20 years ago.

A lot of classics, even modern frags with a classic vibe like Rive Gauche, are Fougeres. Try as I might, I can't seem to get into Fougeres, they just seem Grandpa to me.

I suspect this is because my Dad wore a lot of frags like this when I was a kid, particularly Kouros. They just used to make me choke when he wore them. My Dads style is what I would call 'classy', but I'm not like that, I dont follow in his footsteps and we aren't what you'd call close. I guess thats why I dont think these frags suit me, to turn what DiamondFlame said the other way up, they are 'so not me'.
    Last edited by andym72; 5th February 2010 at 01:33 PM.

I'm 20, and rock a few scents with more classic feels like Rive Gauche, Black Jeans, Narciso Rodriguez for Him, and Guerlain Vetiver. I'll say though that I generally enjoy a more "modern" feel of perfumery, and wear these as a change of pace when the mood strikes me.
    I refuse to sink.