Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classics

Dear gentlemen of Basenotes, especially the young one I'm herewith addressing myself to, how many of you are actually very young (not necessarily as in biological age) and still like to wear very classy, formal, conservative, powerhouse or simply timeless male frags (very young ladies with a similar passion for classics are also politely invited to feel free to post), which, usually, one would associate with cliche of "daddy/grandpa" scents (although, if this classic frag happens to be a vaulted vintage Creed, Guerlain, Floris etc. costing huge sums of money at auctions today, your daddy/grandpa must have been a high roller, a tycoon or simply a very stylish guy, if he has worn these classics before they were discontinued).

Now, there are subtle cutoff lines between powerhouse/classic/conservative scents, since they are never synonyms or homonyms and therefore, because of these many subgroups, these frags can actually be liked by lots of different potential customers or target-groups, even among the younger ones.

Me, for instance, I'm 26 and I love to wear frags with either classic or "modern classic" feel, like Eau Sauvage, even good-quality affordable ones like Old Spice, C & E Sandalwood colognes (both versions) and Tabac Original, also Versace L`Homme, Antaeus, Halston Z14, Knize Ten, Capucci PH, Grey Flannel and Guerlain Vetiver.
    At any rate, I admire young gentlemen and young ladies, who can pull off classic frags without seeming "prematurely aged" (in he strictly fragrance-related terms of the word, meaning, without being derogatory, somehow antiquated and dated).

That doesn't mean I don't like "youthful" frags, but in spite of some stunning recent or very avant-garde creations, I couldn't quite cope without some classics too.

Please feel free to post any similar stories.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 26th June 2016 at 02:41 PM.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Dependent

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classi

Good thread K_R!

Like you, I enjoy a good handful of recent/newer releases, but my wardrobe would never be complete without quite a number of earlier classics/scents.

Default Re: Young gentlemen (ladies being welcome too) of powerhouse, conservatism and classi

Im 20 soon and i LOVE Kouros. My ex liked Rive Gauche Intense on me. I actually like classic, "old"/"mature" frag much better than the young ones.

And i'm a CRAZY fan of powerhouses
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 26th October 2009 at 09:46 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I threw out the age labels for colognes out of the window after i bought Antaeus. I've bought quite a few newer releases but time and time again it's the classics i go back to. But i hope you guys don't dismiss the newer releases so soon. A small minority are rather good too.

I'm 26 btw.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 26th October 2009 at 10:02 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Guerlain Vetiver
    Grey Flannel
    Escada Pour Homme
    and
    Dunhill Edition

LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I congratulate you gentlemen (and Ladies) for displaying the Cojones it takes to wear and enjoy these Classics. Keep it up,you're showing Class and taste

dunno how young i would be (32 years old here), but i wear bois du portugal and guerlain vetiver vintage eau de cologne without even thinking twice. i also have cuir de russie on its way, too, though i hope i don't fall in love with it. seems it will be harder to get moving forward...

don't let the connotations of "old man" scents get to you. wear what you like, and wear it however you want.

eric b
    Last edited by e-dub; 27th October 2009 at 02:43 AM.

I'm 28 and I would say a significant portion of my wardrobe falls into those categories, I love aldehydes, '80s powerhouse frags and otherwise "perfume-y" perfumes. I attribute it to family members who wore these types of scents while I was growing up. Somehow, instead of falling into the camp of people who hate perfume because of the likes of Poison, etc, I became mesmerized and was always playing with the perfumes and makeup on my mom's dressing table.

The fragrance that basically kick-started my hobby was rediscovering the original Fendi on sale in the clearance rack at my local pharmacy. I remembered my mom used to wear it and was planning on buying it for her as a gift, I ended up getting a bottle for me too. Emmanual Ungaro Diva and Balenciaga Rumba soon followed, then it was dabbling with Arpege, L'Air du Temps, Je Reviens and it all went downhill from there .

I wear strictly very "mature" scents, look at my wardrobe. I refuse to wear the childish watery colognes of these days

Btw, I'm 23
    Last edited by InconcievableZen; 27th October 2009 at 08:26 AM.

I think all the younger folks here including myself don't mind (and wear) classics.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    I wear strictly very "mature" scents, look at my wardrobe. I refuse to wear the childish watery colognes of these days

Btw, I'm 23
    This is the spirit !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I'm 18 and I've retired from wearing my first and ever bottle of Acqua di Gio for half a year.

Of those the OP listed, I own and wear only Knize Ten and Guerlain Vetiver, but I also own some controversial, feminine or vintage fragrances.

I ain't young , not anymore , but I have had the pleasure of using the classics for over 30 yrs
    In 1981 alone we were introduced to :

Kouros
    Antaeus
    Bijan
    Cacharel
    Calvin
    Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Santos

Now those were the days !! real music , real cologne & ................ anyway I hope to keep using these for another 30yrs .
    Be good to older people you youngsters , cause if you get close enough they could smell just like you

Last edited by Dimitrios; 27th October 2009 at 01:33 PM.

It's so great to see people of all age groups already enjoying and/or (re-) discovering the classics.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 27th October 2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Is Armani Code a "mature" scent?

I'm 24. Equipage is as close as I've come to a signature.

Also,

Acqua di Parma
    Escada PH
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Aramis
    Antaeus
    Heritage
    Kouros
    Caron PuH
    Several of the old "Pour Hommes"...YSL, Chanel, Givenchy

And many others.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th October 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    Is Armani Code a "mature" scent?
    I don't think so. Terribly popular among the youngest crowd. And then...no "classic structure" either, rather a 'modern' composition with all the implications you might have with the term 'modern'...

I'm 23, and I also feel that most designer releases nowadays are too much childish, lacking some real elegance or sophistication.

Some powerhouses that I like are: Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme, Kouros, Santos, Antaeus, Cacharel, Azzaro... Unfortunately, I think their use are restriced to refined situations (not to go to a club, for example).

There are still some recent frags inspired by those 80's powerhouses, but with a more modern development. Some of them I like (Rive Gauche pour homme), some of them I dislike, like Narciso for Him (I think it has a fruity note that ruins everything).

Basenotes Plus

I'm in my late 30s. While I applaud the youngsters for their use of classics, my gut feel says you still need to reach a certain maturity level before you can pull off some of these classics with real aplomb. Much like how cigars seem to look much better on older guys...? *shrugs*
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th October 2009 at 04:56 PM.

I wonder what it requires before I could pull off Shalimar.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I'm in my late 30s. While I applaud the youngsters for their use of classics, my gut feel says you still need to reach a certain maturity level before you can pull off some of these classics with real aplomb. Much like how cigars seem to look much better on older guys...? *shrugs*
    IMO, fragances has nothing to do with age, but with style. Surely those frags are not very suitable on a basic tshirt and jeans, but I think anyone could fit them very well with the right outfit and situation.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vitorscpaiva View Post
    IMO, fragances has nothing to do with age, but with style. Surely those frags are not very suitable on a basic tshirt and jeans, but I think anyone could fit them very well with the right outfit and situation.
    That part about style is very true but only to a certain extent. What I was actually referring to is not age but 'maturity' which is not exactly the same as 'age'. And I'm not just talking about carrying off a style or a look, but rather hitting the nail on the head with it. Like when someone says a scent is so 'you'...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th October 2009 at 05:35 PM.

I'm
    Last edited by hammersj; 6th December 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Im 28 and I love the likes of Knize Ten, Anteus, Pour Monsieur, Tabac (shave soap is ace), Eucris (and other trumpers going way back), Bois du Portugal (I class it in that power house genre), however I also like what may become future classics/modern powerhouse like M7 & Rive Gauche PH.

I appreciate well made cologne based fragrances like Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo but at the same time I love Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina EdC which is a cheapy.

I also like the modern Creeds Himalaya and Millesime Imperiale but my next purchase os going to be a bottle of Bois du Portugal. To me it contains excellent sillage and longevity and it almost takes a pinch of all the 80's greats and puts it together and comes out with an amazingly flexible yet grown up scent.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What I was actually referring to is not age but 'maturity' which is not exactly the same as 'age'. And I'm not just talking about carrying off a style or a look, but rather hitting the nail on the head with it. Like when someone says a scent is so 'you'...
    I agree with you. For me it's one thing which fragrance appeals to me - and which looks a bit like "too much" for now. Meanwhile I firmly believe that Azzaro pour Homme just doesn't fit yet - if compared to the way it fits my father (50 y.o.), for example. He can wear that and you believe it. Manly, experienced, rugged etc.

(I think it was pluran who once stated you could wear anything, but you should be "as evolved" as the fragrance.)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 27th October 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I wonder what it requires before I could pull off Shalimar.
    If you really like it, trust me, just a couple of wearings at home or one of those days when you feel like saying "f*** you" to the world

I was 24 when I inherited bottles of cologne belonging to my Grandfather, of which, Souvenir Royal by Roger & Gallet was my favorite. My brother took the bottle when he moved out of our parent's home, so everytime I go to visit him I go to the bathroom (he has got them in display) and steal him some. That particular fragrance is not listed in the directory. Amazing as it may seem, smells excellently good.

I' rather smell dated than using actual scents I find displeasing.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post

Btw, I'm 23
    Except fir Bois de orage

Heyyyy!! So interesting to see the ages!!
    I'm 29 and got into "the perfume hobby" only about 2 years ago..always wonder why it took so long!!
    I looove the classic Guerlains (Jicky,what would I do without you!?), Habanita, Chanel no 22...and so on..and just got me a bottle of Patou Cocktail...so,yes, I'm in the club!

The advantage of wearing the classics is that it's more likely that you don't smell like anyone else around you because it's less likely that the sheeples are wearing them.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon