Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Lavender Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

On the 'Best Lavender?' thread, there was a few recommendations for Lavender Water by Crabtree & Evelyn.

I researched and found no single thread devoted to this scent, and only three reviews in the Directory. I'd like to hear more about it.

It sounds fantastic for the price ($28 for 100 ml). Is it as good as Caldey Island Lavender Water or to be more specific, is it as musky as the Caldey?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Lavender Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

I am obviously interested as well. I will try to acquire a sample and report back. If anyone has any additional input please post. Thanks Mike!

Lavender Water is a very simple, dry, "true" lavender scent. There's nothing else in it. It isn't musky. I like it. I don't know the Caldey, so I can't compare it. But if you like lavender then it certainly delivers, and is good value.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have C&E lavender and a sample of Caldey Island. As a novice, the best way I can describe C&E is that to me it smells like lavender flowers, perhaps. It is light and not medicinal. Caldey Island smells medicinal and minty; more herbal in a "stem" way than the C&E. Hope that makes some sense.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I'm hoping for something that isn't too much like the aromatherapy lavender note I am familiar with - which is ultimately realistic, but bores me quickly. Nice to spray your pillow at night, but nothing I'd be satisfied with wearing for a full day to the office.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th October 2009 at 03:53 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

any other thoughts or temptations to purchase?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Lavender Water is a very simple, dry, "true" lavender scent. There's nothing else in it. It isn't musky. I like it. I don't know the Caldey, so I can't compare it. But if you like lavender then it certainly delivers, and is good value.
    I agree with Ody. it is a very good Lavender . To me ,it's a simple lavender . It is strong at first but I find ,it doesn't last too long. I will always try to have at least one bottle of it around.
    You can get the entire C & E range from soap to lotion which helps with the staying power.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I agree with Ody. it is a very good Lavender . To me ,it's a simple lavender . It is strong at first but I find ,it doesn't last too long. I will always try to have at least one bottle of it around.
    You can get the entire C & E range from soap to lotion which helps with the staying power.
    Right, and the lotion itself smells terrific! I use it as an aftershave balm.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Right, and the lotion itself smells terrific! I use it as an aftershave balm.
    I am currently using the soap - it is one of my all time fave soaps ( I've been using it on and off for years. They even have a room spray which I use for spraying before my yoga classes - everyone loves it )
    The lotion is wonderful Ody.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

I have spent more time with this scent, since my original post above.

I was intrigued when I read that the 'vintage' version of this scent had an affinity with Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake - in that it had a minty sort of lavender. I was able to snag a bottle of vintage juice (for a steal) on eBay from 1988 (the year I graduated High School - wow!) and I have been using it on-and-off for about a month or so.

I use it primarily after the gym (like today) and while I usually opted for the stiff, bristling, almost-fizzy Lavanda Tonica by Acqua di Parma the Crabtree & Evelyn makes a nice substitute. It is simple, as many of you noted above, but the simplicity is not lost on the absolute realism of the lavender accord - just like the flowers, blowing up a hillside, catching your nose ever so slightly. Wonderful, refreshing, grounding...quite holistic, I would imagine. I get almost no mint at all, but it might be because my bottle is so old and the mint notes went a bit 'off'. I would imagine that others might think this is 'old' smelling, but I love it's retro-hothouse-flowers realism and when my bottle is used up (I go through lavender scents rather quickly) I might get a newer, yet still vintage bottle.

You have to really go heavy on the trigger for this one to stick on your skin (7+ sprays) but don't worry, over application just makes it feel more refreshing, not synthetic in the least.

I'd love to find vintage Body Lotion, Shower Gel or Talc.

I'm pretty sure the 'new' juice on shelves isn't as engaging and interesting as this one that I'm wearing. So if you're reading this and intrigued the bottles you need to seek out look like this or this NOT like this.

-- Eckhart Tolle

hey mike, glad you like it. I think anyone who likes lavender would enjoy this.
    I have "this#1" and it is the one I'm familiar with. "This #2" looks lovely and old-school.
    "This #3" is a reformulation with lily and other notes, they muddy and sweeten the water and compromise the original scent. IMO.
    odysseusm