Code of Conduct

Default By Kilian's Back to Black vs. L'Occitane Eau Des Baux (and others)

For those that have tried both fragrances, what do you think? To me, they smell quite similar, but for the price, I would definetely go with Baux. Hell, price aside, initially, I went with Baux. It has just about everything Black seems to have, but adds a kinda almondy smell to it in the dry down. I think they're both quite beautiful though, and honestly-I have been going back and forth between the two since they arrived last week Thursday.

Unfortunately, I can't break down the notes and all that. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with notes. But for those that are hip to the notes, maybe you can better compare and contrast.

Btw-I was on a vanilla exploration with my last batch of sampling. In addition to these two, I recieved samples of M. Micallef Note Vanillee. Nice fragrance, but it's pretty much a low budget Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. If you've tried SDV and you smell this, you'll be yearning for that extra sharpness that SDV offers.

I also sampled Havana Vanille. Can you day...DELICIOUS!!! Wow...this one really is nice! It's sweet as hell though, and definetely smells like something you'd see on sale beside a cinnabon. It's really nice. It seems much different from all the others mentioned, which is why I don't want to compare it to them. It's just...different.

Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille should be on the way too. I can't wait to get my nose on that one as well. We'll see if it really can put up a fight with the champ, SDV.

Anywho...questions...comments...

Default Re: By Kilian's Back to Black vs. L'Occitane Eau Des Baux (and others)

I was wondering since you sampled Havana you could tell me could it be worn by a younger person, I fell in love with Tobacco Vanille but it made me think of older men in suits with cigars... couldn't bring myself to wear it in public. I'm hoping L'artisan's HV would be in a similar taste with a younger feel. am i right?

I do see a certain similarity between Back to Black and Eau des Baux, especially the vanilla and tobacco notes. However, even more pronounced is Eau des Baux's similarity to Hermes Ambre Narguile. Indeed, because Eau des Baux has a distinct spiciness, I think it actually edges out both Back to Black and Ambre Narguile on my short list of favorites.

All things considered, Eau des Baux is one hell of a fragrance. For the money (currently, about $46 for 100ml), it's a ridiculous steal!

hmmm . . . . I hadn't made that connection AT ALL

Going back in to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Btw-I was on a vanilla exploration with my last batch of sampling. In addition to these two, I recieved samples of M. Micallef Note Vanillee. Nice fragrance, but it's pretty much a low budget Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. If you've tried SDV and you smell this, you'll be yearning for that extra sharpness that SDV offers.
    I would hardly call Micallef Note Vanilla a low budget SDV. In the states and Europe, there's about a $30 difference and it's even more expensive than SDV in the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by artemesia View Post
    I was wondering since you sampled Havana you could tell me could it be worn by a younger person, I fell in love with Tobacco Vanille but it made me think of older men in suits with cigars... couldn't bring myself to wear it in public. I'm hoping L'artisan's HV would be in a similar taste with a younger feel. am i right?
    I think a younger person could definetely pull this off. To me this is quite unisex, and in fact could be pulled off by a woman as well. Havana is REALLLY nice, and definetly worth a sample. I haven't tried TV yet, so I can't speak on their similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by jradosev View Post
    I do see a certain similarity between Back to Black and Eau des Baux, especially the vanilla and tobacco notes. However, even more pronounced is Eau des Baux's similarity to Hermes Ambre Narguile. Indeed, because Eau des Baux has a distinct spiciness, I think it actually edges out both Back to Black and Ambre Narguile on my short list of favorites.

All things considered, Eau des Baux is one hell of a fragrance. For the money (currently, about $46 for 100ml), it's a ridiculous steal!
    ^5. ANd yes, most places online have it for about $45. I thought I had found it for $29, but that was pounds or euros. Rats!!!! They had the damn dollar sign, but when I hit add to cart, that turned into the damn foreign money!!! Either way, at 45, it's still a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I would hardly call Micallef Note Vanilla a low budget SDV. In the states and Europe, there's about a $30 difference and it's even more expensive than SDV in the Middle East.
    It's still a lower budged SDV. It smells close enough to it for someone on a budget to argue that for sub $200, it's easier to swallow than that $225 + tax that SDV will cost you. But bylow budget, what I really meant more so was that it was a watered down version. Don't get me wrong-I would definetely wear it, if I didn't know what a Spiritueuse Double Vanille was. But when you know better you do better, and SDV is simply the better of the two, imo. I'm still waiting for that Tobacco Vanilla though. I wonder if it can compate with HV or SDV...

Haven't tried Back to Black but I really enjoy Eau des Baux...

Think they're both very nice but different to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I own both, and they seem quite different to me. So room for both in a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any similarity between two, But I like them both.

Anyway try Imagniary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser? vanilla, cognac, guiac. One of the best vanilla I ever tried.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

I agree that Back to Black and EdB don't smell alike at all. Perhaps Ambre Narguile is a little closer because of the honey note, but I find that Sushi Imperiale is closer to AN (but not as smooth). EdB is one of my favorite winter holiday fragrances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own Back to Black. I've tried Eau de Baux.

Both are superb fragrances, but they have very little in common.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."