Code of Conduct

Default Prominent Lavender Notes Make my Nose Hurt.

Has anyone else had this problem? It literally burns my nose. I do not know why, because natural lavender crushed in my hands smells beautifully herbaceous and floral at the same time, but in fragrance, I can barely think about it since my nose gets abused so much by it. Am I just sensitive to lavender or does anyone else have this problem too?

FYI: The most sever offenders of this astringent lavender note in Le Troisieme Homme de Caron and Gris Clair. Other typical lavenders are to a lesser degree. Any suggestions on a softer, more natural smelling lavender based fragrance that is still a composed work, and not a soliflore?
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Default Re: Prominent Lavender Notes Make my Nose Hurt.

Now that I'm seriously thinking about this issue, two more fragrances that give me that same astringency are Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Platinum Egoiste.

Lavender is getting a lot of attention on threads recently. My go-to starter, a very simple and natural-smelling lavender with no extra bells and whistles, is Crabtree & Evelyn Lavender Water. It smells like the freshly-crushed leaves and flowers.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I Think Lavender is a very volatile note. You either like it or don't like it because of this

I think it is not the lavender that does it. I read that some perfumes use aromachemicals to sharpen and strengthen lavender compositions. I get the nose burning from Gris Clair, Platinum Egoiste and Caron Pour un Homme. I actually have a long list which also includes AdP Colonia Intense and Dirty English. To my nose, it not only burns, it also smells of ammonia. I can smell natural lavender in plant, flower and essential oil with absolutely no problems.

I am assuming it is just individual hyperosmia.
    Last edited by Asha; 27th October 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    '

I find 'Lavender' to be the harshest note I've experienced.

eg. The opening of Caron pour un homme is just unbearable.
    The same effect in Eau Sauvage Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think it is not the lavender that does it. I read that some perfumes use aromachemicals to sharpen and strengthen lavender compositions.
    That makes sense. I'm not sure what they use in those scents, but I do have a problem with some aromachemicals.

Natural lavender notes don't bother me at all, but I do notice a difference between French lavender, which is softer, and English, which is a little harsher or more masculine to my nose... although the Crabtree & Evelyn mentioned is very nice. I gave a bottle to my Dad.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/eng/p...er/water?30124

I would recommend Annick Goutal Eau de Lavande, too. It's not available in the US anymore but they will still sell it and ship from Europe last I spoke to them. It's a rich and beautiful scent that also contains lavender from Grasse, tonka and vanilla.

http://www.annickgoutal.nl/en/fragra...delavande.html

L'Occitane is famous for their French lavender essences, they make fragrances and bath and body products. Here's what they have now... including an organic lavender edt.

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...prod=20ET100OC

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...avenderHarvest

Other French Lavender soliflores include Pre de Provence and Provence Sante which are also very affordable. Simple and very nice, but probably not very long lasting from what I remember.
    Last edited by beachroses; 27th October 2009 at 04:34 AM.

I find it pretty sharp. I wouldn't necessarily say harsh though.. that's interesting. Does it stand out to you in D&G PH?

So, has Bigsly's Lavender Rebellion begun? Seriously, I don't understand why so many "men's" frags have such an irritating lavender top note (which often hangs on for a long time). Licorice/anise can also have this quality. I would call it an intensely "vertical" note, but what does it add? My guess is that if it is strong, it signals to certain guys (the majority?) that they can buy it, because it smells "manly." Or do women like strong lavender on the men they buy frags for?

I think the biggest problem with lavender offensive fragrances is what the lavender is combined with. Lavender combined with citrus and also with heavy greens such as Lavender/Bergamot, or Lavender/Galbanum can sometimes get heavy really fast. But, good old fashioned lavender, especially if its Spike Lavender is a very fresh and healing scent. The opening of Patou Pour Homme Prive burns my nose, but the drydown of this old fashioned lavender prominent scent is heavenly. There are lots of fragrances that keep lavender simple. Some of these are:

Caldey Island Lavender
    Oxford & Cambridge, Czech & Speake
    Arome 3, D' Orsay
    Encens et Lavande, Serge Lutens

Ok, I'm glad to see its not just me or something weird. Thanks for all of your information guys- I will definitely try and seek out some other softer lavenders!

Certain types of lavender have a component in their essential oil that resemble camphor. This may be what is coming across as harsh and nostril-burning to you. I agree with Buzzlepuff's observation that the combination of lavender with certain other ingredients can create an accord that amplifies this effect.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 29th October 2009 at 03:00 PM.