Code of Conduct

Default Just Starting Out - Did I get Scammed?

Hi guys, I'm 19 year old college student, who has never used cologne before up until a week ago when basically I got bored one day, and decided to search the internet and buy some. After reading some reviews here, I ordered some dolce & gabbana pour homme on ebay, and won a 4.2oz bottle for 27$. In the mean time of waiting for it to arrive, I came to learn that many colognes are counter fitted and then I became suspicious of my order. Anyways, it arrived today and it smells great, but having never smelled a 100% for sure authentic version idk how to tell if it is watered down or an altogether fake(the smell doesn't seem to last, but that may be because the rain?). Is there any markings or serial numbers that can help me verify this is legit? (also the eBay user had 2000+ pos feedback at like 99.7%, however ebay now says he is no longer a user on eBay, seems suspicious) Thanks in advance!

(also thinking about buying some more colognes, debating between DKNY be delicious, Versace The Dreamer, of some London by Burberry, currently I only have Adidas 0:01 moves and this D&G)
    Last edited by warpedak47; 27th October 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Dependent

Default Re: Just Starting Out - Did I get Scammed?

Hi warpedak47! Welcome to Basenotes.

I am not very familiar with ebay, but "also the eBay user had 2000+ pos feedback at like 99.7%, however ebay now says he is no longer a user on eBay, seems suspicious" does indeed sound suspicious. That being said, I am not the most informed/updated about which scents have been counterfeited/faked, but the best way to find out if your bottle is the real deal, is to bring it with you to a reputable mall/retailer which stocks it and do a side by side test of the scent. Note that sometimes manufacturers do change the bottle designs over time, and differences may not be indicative of fake goods. I don't have much knowledge on serial numbers, but I am guessing those can be faked as well? Hopefully someone else has specific/similar experience with your situation, can share his/her thoughts. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MFJ; 27th October 2009 at 04:58 PM.

I just did the same thing... 125ml of D&G Homme off ebay without a box from positive feedback seller. The story was that it was a gift several years ago and they no longer used it.

I was wondering exactly the same thing. I've used it since and I think it's all good. I even have a new store sample to compare it to. I'm still not sure though if they're 100% the same, I just can't tell!

1. Is this particular frag often (currently) knocked off?
    2. What would be some of the best indicators?
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

D&H PH smells pretty distinct...I would think that if you have something to reference it to, you'd know. Otherwise, I guess you could ask those around you?

Warpedak47 - I'd just go to the nearest mall and compare there.

If you think it smells great, then don't worry about it. You like it, that is all that matters. It was worth $27 to you, so relax and be happy.

But you've learned a lesson here, I think: buy your perfumes in person from a store where you can test them out. If price is a problem there are plenty of discount stores that have quality scents on sale. Buying perfume from a description on ebay, without smelling it, is a poor way to chose a scent.

Always use toolhaus.org to check out the seller, and always look to see what he/she has sold recently and is currently selling. If the person is selling 20 bottles of Green Irish Tweed starting at 99 cents with no reserve, just move on. Also, if the seller is fairly new, I'd probably pass on it as well.

i got a fairly large bottle of marc jacobs men for like $25 including s/h. i found some at a store locally and it was the same.

sometimes they just want to get rid of it or its old or something. thing is, most any scent will last 10 years easy.

my suggestion is to use it lol.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Why not check out some of your local bigger department store chains and see if you can locage a tester of D&G pour Homme. That should let you know if you have the real McCoy or not.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

No, just because they were banned it don't mean it was fake. The same thing happened when i purchased Bond 9 from Ebay. The seller have thousands of feedback and later was banned , I know the juice was real because i had samples directly from Bond, and the funny thing is that the Ebay item smelled fresher than directly from Bond.

It is hard to say. Armani Eau pour homme is not commanding high prices at the moment, so you may have just gotten lucky. You can order legit ApH from Scentedmonkey.com for $2.99 including shipping.

I use toolhaus to check seller's negative feedback history. If there are people, or "maybe even one" complaing about the authenticity of the juice, I'd never buy from them.

In case you're still worried about your purchase, you can get small sample from various people on eBay selling those. Or better yet, go to department store and have a sniff on the tester bottle. Good luck!

BTW, welcome to BN.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Back when I was in high school a friend of mine used a knock off of Tommy, and I noticed the imitation did a fine job of replicating the overall look of Tommy, but not the fine details. For instance - the bottle was a tad bit smaller than the genuine article. The spritzer hose was too long and curled a bit against the bottom, something you don't see with the real thing. And the box's colors were exactly the same, but the logo was a little too small.

Meanwhile, the knock off smelled almost exactly like the real thing (a little weaker, but not too much. Tommy isn't all that great to begin with in my opinion.)

The lesson I gleaned from this is that knock offs seem to give themselves away in how they're packaged, but it's a devil-in-the-details thing - just glancing at it won't give it away. Unfortunately that means you'd have to have the real article side by side with the knock off to tell the difference, but if you're just scoping a deal on a fragrance you already use regularly then that's not a problem as obviously you'd be pretty familiar with how the box and bottle should look already. Take it from a graphic design major - the surface of things says quite a bit about what's going on inside.

Toolhaus is great! I also just received D&G Pour Homme purchased on EBay and it is a fake, I got a sample from the retail store and both scents are different but with some family resemblance.
    Read my thread here:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239095

I ran the check on this seller (after the purchase stupidly) he has a lot of complaints about fakes but he offered that I return it for a refund which I'll do on Monday.
    Last edited by Understatement; 7th November 2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedak47 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm 19 year old college student, who has never used cologne before up until a week ago when basically I got bored one day, and decided to search the internet and buy some. After reading some reviews here, I ordered some dolce & gabbana pour homme on ebay, and won a 4.2oz bottle for 27$. In the mean time of waiting for it to arrive, I came to learn that many colognes are counter fitted and then I became suspicious of my order. Anyways, it arrived today and it smells great, but having never smelled a 100% for sure authentic version idk how to tell if it is watered down or an altogether fake(the smell doesn't seem to last, but that may be because the rain?). Is there any markings or serial numbers that can help me verify this is legit? (also the eBay user had 2000+ pos feedback at like 99.7%, however ebay now says he is no longer a user on eBay, seems suspicious) Thanks in advance!

(also thinking about buying some more colognes, debating between DKNY be delicious, Versace The Dreamer, of some London by Burberry, currently I only have Adidas 0:01 moves and this D&G)
    ok well it smells great, thats a first, now to make sure, does it last long? bc many fake scents last for all of 10 mins. then disappear with no scent or anything leftover, if it lasts all day on ur, then ur fine, and id reccomend DKNY Be Delicious, this is my signature/top fragrance, it works for anytime, anywhere, and London by Burrberry as well, but only in the winter/fall time, it will not work in the summer, the notes really jump out during cold weather
    Last edited by LanEvo; 10th November 2009 at 05:08 AM.
    Gucci PH, DKNY Men, DKNY Be Delicious, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic, Nautica Blue, Adidas Victory League

If ur in Ebay, and ur starting out. Forget about ebay. Theres plenty of cheap and good sites out there.

fragrancex
    scentedmonkeys
    scentiments
    beautyencounter(gotta love the Maitre Parfumeur range here ^__^ )
    fragrancenet

Gud luck. Hope u get into niche soon.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"