Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Default Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    I've been using Aqua Di Gio more often now since it's almost gone because I want an excuse to go out and get a replacement.

    I want an aromatic fresh replacement, similar considering I basically have every other type of fragrance. The closest I have to AdG is Bvlgari Aqva but thats more of a marine scent than fresh.

    Any suggestions? Although something that isnt so damn played out

  2. #2
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Not sure what you already have, but L'eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme is worth a sniff and not too common (I think).

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Creeds Imperial.
    L'eau D'issey.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    748

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Guerlain Homme (not like AdG but worth checkin out if you want something fresh)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Live Jazz.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Boss Elements Aqua

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Versace Man Fraiche

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Mugler Cologne

  9. #9
    Tarheel Golfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,635
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    +1 on Mugler Cologne

    Will add Versace Pour Homme (a mature AdG in my opinion), and Bvlgari Pour Homme.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    I already have Mugler cologne and I love it but I wouldn't call it an aromatic. It's more like fresh out of the shower scent, soapy and green.
    I want something light, fresh and somewhat unique. I do like Aqua Di Gio but its so overplayed and common it's ridiculous.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Halston Unbound for Men was recommended to me, I have it, but have never smelled ADG!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    IMO AdG is hard to replace so I'd say get another bottle!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Terre D'Hermes
    Dolce and Gabbana PH

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Chanel Allure Homme Sport EDT

  15. #15

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    2nd Creed Millesime Imperial

  16. #16

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    The Miyake and Versace recommendation were spot on.

  17. #17
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Yes, L'Eau d'Issey PH or Intense or one of its summer flankers would be great - just a little off from AdG but in a good direction. Totally agreed.

    If you want something much more aromatic, and can tolerate something swinging a bit more unisex, and you want something nobody else is wearing, consider Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles by The Different Company. It has a wicked strong, watery, cool, natural sage and rosemary thing at the top that will blow you away. Not an aquatic per se, but it has a cool feel that is almost a drop-in replacement for AdG.
    * * * *

  18. #18

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    As Eau d'Issey and others I would have suggested have already been mentioned, there's still these to consider:

    Baldessarini del Mar
    Alessandro del Acqua PH

  19. #19

    Lightbulb Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    My personal AdG replacement is Clinique Happy. I tried various "AdG clones" such as Versace pH, Perry 360 Red, Halston Unbound, etc. I like AdG but it goes sour on my skin and I just don't enjoy the drydown because of it. Perry 360 Red was a close contender but I found that the sweet cinnamon note made it better suited for cooler weather. I finally settled on Clinique Happy because the top notes remind me of AdG, and I'm a huge fan of orange/tangerine and lime. It's definitely not a perfect replacement though, as longevity is pretty terrible and it smells somewhat synthetic to my nose. I would recommend you try it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    ...another bottle of Acqua di Gio? Just kidding--try Creed Imperial Millesime.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Perhaps Paul Smith Extreme? Paul Smith Story? Eau Sauvage? Guerlain Vetiver?

    I know these are not AdG, but I'd try them out and see if you like any of them.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

  22. #22

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    similar???,Versace PH...Bvlgari Aqva and Issey Miyake L'eau, ADG clones?? 360 Red, Unbound and Just Me by PH

  23. #23

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    My personal AdG replacement is Clinique Happy. I tried various "AdG clones" such as Versace pH, Perry 360 Red, Halston Unbound, etc. I like AdG but it goes sour on my skin and I just don't enjoy the drydown because of it. Perry 360 Red was a close contender but I found that the sweet cinnamon note made it better suited for cooler weather. I finally settled on Clinique Happy because the top notes remind me of AdG, and I'm a huge fan of orange/tangerine and lime. It's definitely not a perfect replacement though, as longevity is pretty terrible and it smells somewhat synthetic to my nose. I would recommend you try it.
    I agree with the Happy recommendation. It isn't just like AdG but that's a good thing IMO. I have the same problem with the AdG drydown. The only negative about happy is that it doesn't last real long.

    Try some before you buy I'm sure they have it at any local dept. store
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

    PM ME

  24. #24

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    PE red 360 all the way for me hot longevity and way better then ADG i recommend you try it out.

  25. #25
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by el.roger View Post
    similar???,Versace PH... and Issey Miyake L'eau, ADG clones?? 360 Red, Unbound and Just Me by PH
    Any of these - they are all related.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  26. #26

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Another vote for L'Eau D'Issey and Allure Homme Sport

  27. #27

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Loewe Aqua
    Muller Cologne
    Paul Smith Story
    Aqua DI Parma Intensa

    are some excellent replacements
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  28. #28

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    ...another bottle of Acqua di Gio? Just kidding--try Creed Imperial Millesime.
    ^^

    I absolutely love Millesime Imperial in the summer. It is my number one fragrance for summer and warmer weather.

    Why not go Creed MI, instead of the dime a dozen AdG clones? It is more expensive, but in life, you often get what you pay for.

    TJ

  29. #29

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, L'Eau d'Issey PH or Intense or one of its summer flankers would be great - just a little off from AdG but in a good direction. Totally agreed.

    If you want something much more aromatic, and can tolerate something swinging a bit more unisex, and you want something nobody else is wearing, consider Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles by The Different Company. It has a wicked strong, watery, cool, natural sage and rosemary thing at the top that will blow you away. Not an aquatic per se, but it has a cool feel that is almost a drop-in replacement for AdG.
    Hmmm, UPdCeF? That's an interesting substitute for AdG, a bit of a stretch IMO, as you mentioned much MUCH more aromatic. I don't know how good of a substitute it would be for someone expecting something similar to AdG, but it may be something down a different path that he may like just as much. Good recommendation!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  30. #30

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Also, I agree with the recs to try Versace PH. IMO it's FAR better than AdG, it's in a different category though. While not being identical or even really close for that matter, I find it falls in line closer with Bulgari Aqua, as a deeper aquatic, than the watery/fruity/floral stuff going on in AdG. I think you should look into it, because along with Bulgari Aqua, I think it's the best aquatic currently available in the designer world, and it's also more "aromatic" than AdG.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  31. #31

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Givenchy Homme Blue Label would make a nice replacement for AdG.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 28th October 2009 at 11:11 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

  32. #32

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Versace Eau Fraich - great alternative for AdG , something a bit diffrent but also great L'Eau D'Issey, totaly difrent but great for hot weather Mugler Cologne , Versace PH , Chanell Allure ( Homme Sport , Edition Blanch ) .... Kenzo Ice could be great alternative to

  33. #33

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    I also already own Millesime Imperial and I really like it but it's pretty different from AdG. I also own Mugler cologne which is even a bigger jump in difference than AdG.I like to have a variety and since AdG is a light aromatic fragrance I'm looking for something similar in that area.
    I'm going to go out and try some new fragrances today and see what I like and try a lot of the ones mentioned.

    Thanks a lot!

  34. #34

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Armani Code - great for the price
    Millésime Impérial - great if price is not a problem

  35. #35

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Also, I agree with the recs to try Versace PH. IMO it's FAR better than AdG, it's in a different category though. While not being identical or even really close for that matter, I find it falls in line closer with Bulgari Aqua, as a deeper aquatic, than the watery/fruity/floral stuff going on in AdG. I think you should look into it, because along with Bulgari Aqua, I think it's the best aquatic currently available in the designer world, and it's also more "aromatic" than AdG.

    I have had people mistake VPH for ADG but what is funny as they really are two vastly different fragrances and a lot of places like Sephora have VPH as a woody scent while ADG is a fresh or water scent. Take that for what it is worth.

    My suggestion here is going to be go to walgreens or CVS and see if you can find Old Spice Signature not Old Spice Classic this product will be in the case with the other colognes not in the shaving section. Try that one you will be amazed by the scent, the logevity, and the price. OS Signature is one of the best aquatics and it is amazingly cheap.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    As far as the fragrances I've tried were Allure Homme Sport, Hugh Parsons Blue, 360 Red, 212 Men, Versace ph and Light Blue.
    Hugh Parsons was different but didn't like it as much as the others. 360 red was nice but smelled too similar to AdG. Light Blue was a little too light for my tastes. I ended up getting Versace ph and I really like it. I also got Allure Homme Sport but I accidentally got Allure Homme Sport Cologne instead so I plan on taking it back. Any suggestions of another fragrance or should I go for the Edt?
    As far as Versace and Allure Sport being copies is not true at all. They're similar yeah, but in no way copies. I see a difference quite easily

  37. #37

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    As far as the fragrances I've tried were Allure Homme Sport, Hugh Parsons Blue, 360 Red, 212 Men, Versace ph and Light Blue.
    Hugh Parsons was different but didn't like it as much as the others. 360 red was nice but smelled too similar to AdG. Light Blue was a little too light for my tastes. I ended up getting Versace ph and I really like it. I also got Allure Homme Sport but I accidentally got Allure Homme Sport Cologne instead so I plan on taking it back. Any suggestions of another fragrance or should I go for the Edt?
    As far as Versace and Allure Sport being copies is not true at all. They're similar yeah, but in no way copies. I see a difference quite easily
    LoneWolf:

    If you like the Versace that is what matters. Quite frankly, I find it far too similar to Allure Homme Sport to justify owning both. From my understanding, you are definitely making the right call on returning the Allure Sport Cologne. The Allure Homme Sport has a beautiful citrus opening with a very intriguing drydown.

    I would also suggest sampling Allure Homme Edition Blanche. In my view, somewhat better than Allure Homme Sport, with a very refreshing peppery drydown. It really is a lovely and invigorating fragrance.

    Also, not strictly an aquatic, but one that definitely deserves your attention is Tiffany for Men Sport. The great Jacques Polge created most of the modern Chanel fragrances as well as both Tiffany fragrances. If there is a Tiffany store in your area, you really owe it to yourself to sample Tiffany for Men Sport. A former Basenotes member, bbDD, referred to it quite properly in my opinion as ahead of its time. It is somewhat of the aquatic genre, but distinctly and provocatively different. I will paste the notes of Tiffany for Men Sport below for your consideration:

    Tiffany for Men™ Sport Cologne is a clean, fresh scent with the woody essence of Juniper Berry, Geranium, Jamaican Pepper and herbal Coriander.

    I really think it is the way the juniper berry and the Jamaican pepper play off one another that provide the fragrance with such a refreshing and invigorating feel as opposed to the fiery pepper that some may associate with these notes.

    Good Luck.

    TJ

  38. #38
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    Yeah, I completely forgot about Tiffany Sport. I actually call that one my "juniper berry Acqua di Giò". Great frag, nothing quite like it. Good call!
    * * * *

  39. #39
    Tarheel Golfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,635
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    VPH and Allure Homme Sport smell nothing alike on me. I love VPH, Allure was too heavy.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Aqua Di Gio is almost gone...need new fragrance!

    You could try Essenza Di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna. You can find it cheaper than AdG and it smells very similar. It's a great fragrance.

Similar Threads

  1. Fragrance Bliss: Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer
    By nthny in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 30th November 2012, 08:02 PM
  2. 360 Degrees Red as Aqua Di Gio
    By perfume4life in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th March 2009, 11:31 PM
  3. mega-compilation of mini-reviews [part 2!]
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 09:50 AM
  4. What if I like Aqua Di Gio but don't want to smell like everyone else?
    By DaveInPhilly in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th October 2006, 12:31 AM
  5. What is about Aqua di Gio and women?
    By cap2j in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28th January 2005, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000