Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to check out a Basenote Member before buying from them?

I recently found a BN member who is offering bottles of a discontinued perfume that I'd like to buy, but I'm wondering how I can check if he/she has a good track record with other BN-ers. Is there a way to check? And, what's the best way to conduct the transaction (ie, pay through Paypal?) Thanks If you want to know the name, I can IM you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to check out a Basenote Member before buying from them?

The only way I know of is to check their feedback history located directly beneath their location or country of origin in the upper lefthand corner.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBanana View Post
    I recently found a BN member who is offering bottles of a discontinued perfume that I'd like to buy, but I'm wondering how I can check if he/she has a good track record with other BN-ers. Is there a way to check? And, what's the best way to conduct the transaction (ie, pay through Paypal?) Thanks If you want to know the name, I can IM you.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I can't seem to edit that last post . . . . I meant to say the upper RIGHThand corner

In the right-hand corner (below where it shows their home country's flag) it says "Feedback" and has a number next to it. Click on the number and it will show you all their feedback (positive, neutral, or negative). I think you can find the feedback info anywhere the person posts a message, adds to a thread, etc. Look on their "for sale" thread and you should find it.

Post Thanks / Like

While feedback is not a sure-fire way to ensure a pleasant transaction, it is probably the best available.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I have zero feedback. Doesn't automatically make me a risky option in a swap/sale. Just haven't found the time to put together a swap/sale list and cross border shipping and handling might be too much of a b**ch. I suppose you could also consider the Basenoter's online presence and level of participation in community forums. Not many are willing to screw up a well established reputation just for a quick buck.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 28th October 2009 at 06:34 AM.

Diamondflame does have a point. I have been a BN member for almost a year now and have been frequenting the site for a few years. I just recently completed my first four transactions (where's my feedback guys?!!! Thanks SirSlarty for the quick feedback). I wouldn't risk getting ousted from the BN community to make a quick buck. There have been a few scammers here, but someone who regularly contributes to the forums and is well known in the BN community should be safe enough.
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 28th October 2009 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is fail-safe but looking at feedback is definitely the way to go.
    If no feedback exists then there is not much you can do but perhaps take a chance. There have been a few scams here but over all the community is quite honest and trustworthy.

If however you are a buyer with a lot of feedback & the seller is someone with low or no feedback, the buyer can usually request the seller to ship first and pay for the item, on arrival.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody!
    A final question: does a person usually pay with Paypal in sort of venue?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is up to the seller but most seem to want payment with PayPal.

Even if a person doesn't have a credit card, they can still have a PayPal account, linked to their checking account. Then payment is by eCheck. Those can take days to clear, but if no one is in a hurry, there is no problem. Some sellers may accept other forms of payment-- for example, a USPS money order is totally safe for sellers to accept and eliminates the risk of a bounced check fee.

Bottom line, it's up to the seller.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

You can also check out people on swaptawk http://swaptawk.yuku.com/ and on the swaplifters list http://swaplifters.watson-wilson.ca/...ate&type=thief before deciding whether to deal with someone.

check out their ebay feedback or some other reference
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME