Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Cristalle Lovers Unite

Would all the Cristalle lovers out there please help me. Are there any alternatives that smell similar to Cristalle? Your help would be greatly appreciated since the various and intermittent scares about Cristalle being discontinued has led me to action. Please post whether or not you know, believe, or suspect this rumour to be true. May the Cristalle be with you.
    Last edited by Plumly; 28th October 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cristalle Lovers Unite

To me, Diorella and Le Parfum de Therese would be the closest matches to Cristalle, minus the green top note.

I haven't heard of a discontinuation, but I know that the EDT has been tricky to come by in the US lately...not sure about the UK, but it's still readily available here in Canada.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Jasper Conran Woman doesn't have the oakmoss, but is a fruity chypre with a bright citrus character, available for as little as 9.99 anywhere it is stocked. Luca Turin gave it **** in The Guide, plug plug.

Soir observed that A Scent by Issey Miyake is also quite like it.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Jasper Conran Woman doesn't have the oakmoss, but is a fruity chypre with a bright citrus character, available for as little as 9.99 anywhere it is stocked. Luca Turin gave it **** in The Guide, plug plug.

Soir observed that A Scent by Issey Miyake is also quite like it.
    I've been wanting to try the Conran...I have a feeling it's probably easier for you to find in the UK.

I didn't find the Miyake to be very similar, other than the green element, which for me vanishes within a few minutes with Cristalle.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't hear that Cristalle is going to be discontinued. Do you have a link?

Post Thanks / Like

Plumly, welcome to Basenotes! Hope you like it here.

I read your both posts out of two -- both about Chanel Cristalle -- and I respect your opinion about finding one'n'only, not one-scent-fits-all fragrance. I wore Cristalle for a few years, so you may consider me another lover of this fragrance, and I will unite with anyone else in wearing it any given day.

However, the rumors about its discontinuation may be too premature, I do not recall hearing anything about it and I do not believe Chanel is going to do away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it strange for Chanel to discontinue Cristalle after just releasing a flanker to it...not so often that happens that I can remember.

Good lord, discontinuation?! I do hope not!

I think IM's A Scent is sort of Cristalle-lite, but doesn't even come close in terms of fabulousness. And VM recently turned me onto Miller Harris's Fleurs de Bois, which to my mind is a wonderful combo of all that is good about Cristalle and vintage Vent Vert. Perhaps try it, just for fun? It's gorgeous.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Plumly View Post
    Would all the Cristalle lovers out there please help me. Are there any alternatives that smell similar to Cristalle? Your help would be greatly appreciated since the various and intermittent scares about Cristalle being discontinued has led me to action. Please post whether or not you know, believe, or suspect this rumour to be true. May the Cristalle be with you.
    I doubt that Cristalle is being discontinued, but I did buy a backup in case of reformulation. It's in the fridge.

Are you craving the green or the floral? Other "green fix" fragrances would include

Chanel No. 19
    Balmain Vent Vert, both vintage and modern
    Miller et Bertaux Green, Green, Green, and Green
    Issey Miyake A Scent
    Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss

Of these, No. 19 parfum is the best cure for a Cristalle craving for me (I use Cristalle as a cure for a No. 19 craving when I want to spray rather than dab, and want something lighter), but I'd say that it's in even more danger of reformulation than Cristalle is.

If you're craving the floral, then Issey Miyake A Scent may be the closest, but it's much sweeter.

However, the best plan may be to tuck a spare bottle in the fridge so that if it does go away, you'll have some time to adjust and grieve.

The first formulation of Vent Vert would be Cristalle-like, I find the second formulation (grassy lid) to be closer to No19. Word on the street is that the third formulation (polka-dots on bottle) smells like monkey butt.

I think that Givenchy III comes close to the pure green-and-hay of Cristalle, without the underlying floral freshness of No19 and Vent Vert.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Post Thanks / Like

I am right here, loving Cristalle!
    It is one of the few perfumes that have been in my collection more than once, actually, I have owned four bottles.
    Of course, there was a time when I bought the wrong Cristalle, the EDP. I finished the bottle but it was immediately replaced by the EDT.
    Evenstar

Hillaire

I am so glad to read this post! As I have just had the most satisfying revelation.

I have mourned the ruination of Cristalle so much, so you can imagine my delight to discover a fragrance extremely similar (just last week!!) as bitter, good and rich-in-quality as it once was:

Eau de Campagne
    by Sisley

You might also be pleased with Molyneaux Quartz. Old bottles can be found cheaply on ebay. The older ones are called simply "Quartz" and not "Quartz pour Femme"
    Last edited by Hillaire; 29th October 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Great suggestions, Hillaire. Love the tomato-stem pungency of Eau de Campagne.

And am seriously intrigued about Quartz!

(Jumps straight onto Ebay ....)
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

The EDP of Cristalle has many similarities to Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss.

The EdP of Cristalle is pure Diorella on me!

Much prefer the EdT (and original Diorella).

Post Thanks / Like

I do notice quite a difference between the Chanel formulations, too. Welcome to basenotes! I was just curious where you heard that about it being d/c. Maybe there's something we don't know.

It's not exactly the same, but Eau de Rochas for Women is similar, you might enjoy that.
    Last edited by beachroses; 29th October 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Cristalle Lovers Unite

Thank you all for your most generous posts.

Did some more investigating.... apparently there are no plans to discontinue, albeit the EDT may become more difficult to find than the EDP.
    Last edited by Plumly; 29th October 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Plumly - A big welcome to Basenotes!

I too love Cristalle. For me, it's one of those perfumes that is just PERFECT (and can be replaced with NO OTHER) for certain situations. Such as, it's a gorgeous Spring day, and you're going for a drive to the seaside and shops with someone special. Or to an outdoor party under the sparkling stars. Unlike with most of my treasured scents, I love saving this fragrance (EDT) for special, fun-filled occasions.

I have not found any other scent that is similar to Cristalle, but it looks as if others have some great recommendations. I think Chanel's Sycomore is very similar in "feeling" to Cristalle...with a sharp, playful bite in the beginning, the joyous rush of greens and smokiness, and then the underlying sweetness singing along with the vetiver/smoke crispness. Ahhhhhhh...must go spray some of each.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like

Did some more investigating.... apparently there are no plans to discontinue, albeit the EDT may become more difficult to find than the EDP.

It could be you saw a conversation about possible reformulations... I don't know the details of this yet, but it might apply to a lot of scents. It's great you found one you love, but you might like to have more than one at some point in time and you can use this as a starting point to get other suggestions or maybe try some you heard about here!

The EDT definitely has been reformulated as they literally pulled all of it from the shelves earlier in the year at the major dept stores (ie Selfridges) and I bought as much old stock as I could at that point from independents and discounters. I would be willing to bet that the online discounters are still selling old stock. I haven't smelled the new version so don't know how much it's changed.

I posted this elsewhere before, but I've found Pucci's Sole 149 to be the best substitute for me, although it's ultimately sweeter than the EDT verging on EDP territory. I prefer it to the Cristalle EDP though.

Thanks for the hot tip, angelica! Are you UK based? Would you be ready to share any links for online discounters you bought through? That would be very much appreciated!

If you're in the US or somewhere that's easily-shippable-to from the US, BeautyEncounter has it. That's where I got my two bottles. (And now I'm wondering if I should have gotten the larger size! Perfume hoarding! Ack!)

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious to know what version of Cristalle would be best for a guy ? I need a good chypre.

The parfum version looks great. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the EDT and Parfum ?

Thanks !

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The Eau de Toilette !
    Though really I don't see why a guy should not wear the Eau de Parfum. The EDP is more floral and very long lasting on me . It's a different scent ( different formula ) from the EDT which is drier ,more citrussy and much less floral . The EDT does not last too long - about 2 hours on me max.
    I love both for different reasons.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    The Eau de Toilette !
    Though really I don't see why a guy should not wear the Eau de Parfum. The EDP is more floral and very long lasting on me . It's a different scent ( different formula ) from the EDT which is drier ,more citrussy and much less floral . The EDT does not last too long - about 2 hours on me max.
    I love both for different reasons.

Thanks. I believe the EDT was very short lived on me also. The dryness of the EDT is what attracted me to the scent. However I will need to try the parfum version.

Thank you for the response.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mimi, the EDT is the one that seems most suited to a man, though it really comes down to your own note preference. I've come to realize that it does last longer on me than I had initially thought. It wears more as a skin scent the more it gets into the drydown but I have been surprised- on some days it seems to go on and on.

EDP is also a bit more dense, if I recall. Certainly has enough lasting power, too. Definitely worth sampling. There's also Cristalle Eau Verte but if you're really wanting a green chypre, it may not suit. It is noticeably more citrusy to my nose.

To my knowledge, there is no parfum extrait version of Cristalle available but I sure wish there were! Would be divine. As a green chypre lover myself, EDT is the one I love best. Try all 3 if you can, though. It's a fun sampling experiment to compare them!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I find OJ Tiare to be very Cristalle EDT in both smell and texture. Definately EDT on a man. I love the EdP in it's own right, but for that citric chypre WHOOSHY rush EDT hits the mark

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I was curious to know what version of Cristalle would be best for a guy ? I need a good chypre.

The parfum version looks great. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the EDT and Parfum ?

Thanks !
    I wear the EDT on a regular basis. I find Cristalle to be a very abstract and cold perfume. I know about the EDP, my mother wears it, but I don't think there is a pure parfum (extrait) version like N5, N19 or Cuir de Russie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    I don't think there is a pure parfum (extrait) version like N5, N19 or Cuir de Russie.
    Thank you for all your responses.

If you go on the Chanel website you will see a Cristalle eau de Parfum spray listed for a very fair price.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Reminiscent was trying to clarify (and please correct me if I have it wrong, R.!) that EDP is NOT pure parfum extrait.

The various concentrations contain varying percentages of fragrance components, with Parfum (Extrait) generally having the highest concentration. Eau de Parfum falls between EDT and extrait- more concentrated than EDT but not as much as Parfum. Also, and particularly with Chanel, not only are the concentrations different, the compositions themselves are as well. Especially with these Cristalles- all 3 are quite different and distinct scents.

Does anyone know- has there ever been Cristalle extrait? Oh, what I would do to get my hands on that if it exists!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Eau de Parfum is not pure Parfum .
    I really doubt there has ever been a Cristalle extrait . Chanel - you need to make one for us !

Also if you like Cristalle EDT - try Estee Lauder's Private Collection Jasmine White Moss EDP- very close !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, I didn't think so, Mimi. Cristalle was created in my lifetime and I don't remember ever seeing extrait. Too bad- wish they'd make one based on the EDT.

Will try the EL- others have recommended it to me, too but did not mention the similarity to Cristalle. I'm always interested in this style of scent. Quartz by Molyneux is also very similar, very affordable and entirely unisex to my nose. Maybe hunt that one down, too thatmakesscents. Can send you a decant of Quartz if you'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Cristalle Lovers Unite

I am wearing the Eau de Toilette today.
    CRISTALLE is unique and, IMHO, there is nothing out there like it
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Vent Vert which is a little more floral though, wetter (is that even a word), sweeter and not as unisex but definately along the same vein as Cristalle.