Code of Conduct

Default Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne pour Le Soir

I got the opportiunity to try all seven of the fragrances released by Francis Kurkdjian and my favorite was easily Cologne pour Le Soir. My review is at this link:

http://bit.ly/36EVLV

Even though I have a favorite I found all of these fragrances quite interesting with the two versions of Lumiere Noire being my next favorites.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne pour Le Soir

Nice write up Mark, - the consensus with those that have tried this line is that CPLS is a winner. L'adventurier and myself are already devout fans

Nice review.

I am dying to try APOM PH, LNPH and Cologne PLS.

But i refuse to spend the $3.49 (plus $5.95 for shipping) TPC wants for a half a ml each of the male scents! They can keep em. I don't know what they are smoking over there. Some of the prices on certain fragrances are just insane. Maybe greedy is the appropriate term.

I will just wait and pay $3 or $4 per sample when LS gets them in.
    I e-mailed LS a few weeks ago asking if they will carry the line and Franco said he thinks they will arrive sometime in January.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Nice cologne but I prefer Bois D'argent to it
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I agree Cologne Pour Le Soir is fantastic, easily my favourite of the line. Long lasting too.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I sampled this one too and found it a very pleasant, albeit not very cologny, fragrance. Will have to do some more testing but it's clearly a good fragrance!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

sampled this one today (Thnx Ubuan!) - im surprised how no one mentioned it's "striking/90%" similarity with Diesel Zero Plus (maybe no one has sampled Zero plus). Sure it's toned down a bit than the original but, it's the same cinnamon based powdery scent. i do not see the similarity with Bois D'Armenie...it doesnt come across as incense based...it's more about cinnamons and honey...

sample before you buy kinds; especially if you dont like Diesel Zero Plus

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I agree Cologne Pour Le Soir is fantastic, easily my favourite of the line. Long lasting too.
    I totally agree. It's a winner!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I thought the best of that line were APOM pour Homme and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, which I bought.

Cologne Pour Le Soir is realy nice, but it reminded me too much of Musk Ravageur , a lighter version.
    Last edited by eric; 6th December 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    sampled this one today (Thnx Ubuan!) - im surprised how no one mentioned it's "striking/90%" similarity with Diesel Zero Plus (maybe no one has sampled Zero plus). Sure it's toned down a bit than the original but, it's the same cinnamon based powdery scent. i do not see the similarity with Bois D'Armenie...it doesnt come across as incense based...it's more about cinnamons and honey...

sample before you buy kinds; especially if you dont like Diesel Zero Plus

Sorry Jen, yet another one I cant rationalise as having any likeness at all... *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Nice review.

I am dying to try APOM PH, LNPH and Cologne PLS.

But i refuse to spend the $3.49 (plus $5.95 for shipping) TPC wants for a half a ml each of the male scents! They can keep em. I don't know what they are smoking over there. Some of the prices on certain fragrances are just insane. Maybe greedy is the appropriate term.
    Greed is indeed the apropriate term. Divide a bottle of fragrance into mls and make a profit, total bs Forget TPC.
    Try mailing the FK website,maybe theyll send them for free. Kurkdjian prices are very reasonable.Not exactly cheap,but not expensive also. I hope it stays that way.
    Last edited by eric; 6th December 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post

Cologne Pour Le Soir is realy nice, but it reminded me too much of Musk Ravageur , a lighter version.
    Really?

MR smells to me like a cinnamon-bun barnyard, while CplS is all about honeyed rose, powdery benzoin and frankincense.

Just a question, is this only available in the large, 6.6 oz size?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Just a question, is this only available in the large, 6.6 oz size?
    Yes, 200ml only at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Really?

MR smells to me like a cinnamon-bun barnyard, while CplS is all about honeyed rose, powdery benzoin and frankincense.
    Oh yes. Dont get me wrong, I do like it and youre right about the notes,but thats what my brain connected it with, first smelling CplS. Same warm,powdery,bit dirty type of fragrance. Ofcourse its all subjective.
    Oh and I wanted to ad that ,although CplS says "cologne" the longevity is realy good, it wears more like an edt.
    Last edited by eric; 6th December 2009 at 08:48 PM.

I tried FK line at B.Goodman in NYC & Le Soir was my top favorite, but I sinc I own Bois d'Argent, Bois d'Armenie & Pi already in my wardobe I thought that I have enough benzoin ,,, I decided to postpone my purchase & ended up with Aqua Unvirsal... which I adore.
    Last edited by tariq; 7th December 2009 at 08:23 AM.

Loved the whole line

Cologne Pour Le Soir was ok, but I got a damp hair/cheap shampoo vibe from it that I could not shake.

I think CplS is nice, but nice doesn't make my wallet open these days. Why do I need a giant, $200 bottle of cologne? For $200 I can get something really fabulous, like a bottle of Bois de Isles from the Chanel Exclusif line.
    I hate to be the downer here, but the line has really left me indifferent. The offerings smell safe and full of standard issue accords and typical aroma chemicals. I just put on APOM and IMHO it covers the same territory that Le Male traversed 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd December 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Cologne Pour le Soir was, unfortunately, probably my least favorite in the line. It was a bit too sweet, rubbery, play-doh-esque for too long. Once the frankincense came out in the base I found it much more enjoyable but it took too long to get there. Besides, I'd never use even 50ml of this stuff, much less 200ml.

I really really like APOM PH and am debating picking this up, despite having an abundance of orange blossom heavy scents already. Hmm.. *chin scratch*
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this tonight for the first time, from a decant (thanks ubu).

Wow...this is powdery, I can almost taste the powder. The combination of roses and powder instantly makes me think of Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's which I really do not like. And with the addition of the benzoin, which is a tricky note for me (benzoin and I are not friends) I am having a difficult time with this one. Still...like Dimitri mentioned above, this one has a very gothic feel to it that is intriguing me. I'm going to give this several more tries, before I decide whether I like it or not.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2009 at 03:06 AM.

It is funny how this scent reminds so many people, of so many different scents. i felt the same way, but for me it brought to mind memories of vintage Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Bleu. I used to adore Ombre Bleu, so i enjoy CplS also.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Basenotes Institution

UPDATE: Wearing it for the third time today, it feels much more wearable and nice today. Surprised me. The benzoin is still not my favorite part, I can't help but make that olfactory association to Johnson & Johnson's brand Baby Powder - but today it was quickly covered up by that honeyed incense accord that instantly made me think of Papier d'Armenie burning papers, which I love. I also was very careful not to over apply it today - 2 sprays, that's it!

I got a sample of Cologne Pour Le Soir today as an extra in a swap. I could imagine this sitting on top of a dressing table of an older women, maybe in the 1950-60's. It smells like lipstick, a little like Tabac Blond but a lot softer, almost like a EdC or Edt of it. I like it but need to test it out some more. Looking forward to my large decant.

I would imagine a classic female scent smelling like this, but it seems a modern revamp wearable for a male.

Basenotes Institution

I am getting really interested the offerings from MFK . Lumiere Noire Pour femme and Clogone Pour Le Soir - they just sound right up my street. I must try them . Great article Mark ! There are very few reviews about MFK online so thanks for adding .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I tried Soir this evening - it's still sitting on my right arm. It's good... but I don't think great. It's a bit heavy, not overly sweet, but something I wouldn't want to wear too often in the desert heat... even at night. It would work much better in cooler temps, hence I suppose the "soir" label. Lumiere Noir, however, is a winner. Love this stuff... probably one of the better new releases I've smelled in the last two years.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I think the main problem with this scent is, as others have noted, the size of the bottle. There is NO way I would ever get through this. If it came as a 50ml I would consider it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think the main problem with this scent is, as others have noted, the size of the bottle. There is NO way I would ever get through this.
    I tend to use 2-4 sprays of almost anything in my wardrobe but find I have to use upwards of 6 sprays with Cologne Pour Le Soir. I can understand a 200ml of this would probably equate to a 50ml bottle of Black Aoud in terms of longevity/sillage with sprays.

It's a soft fragrance that needs extra applications through out the day. I get why it's in the large bottle size.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 18th March 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Im with HDS1963 on this one.

I owned the 200ml - ADORE it, but decanted a portion out and sold off the remainder of my bottle.
    Otherwise 200ml is likely to be living with me for 5 or 6 years.

Basenotes Institution

After testing this several times, I thought that this closely resembled Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain. Then I remembered that Kurkdjian was the nose behind the candle version of BdA (which BTW I have not smelled yet). So this convinced me even more that CPLS was his 'version' of the BdA candle fragrance.

A kind Basenoter sent me a sample of Bois d'Armenie and I have been testing it side-by-side with Cologne Pour le Soir. I even asked Ray to sniff them side-by-side. Verdict: I like Bois d'Armenie much better.

I tried my sample a couple weeks ago from Luckyscent and the first time decided it was ''nice'', ''sweet'', ''good'', etc. Meh. It didn't strike me like Le Male did when it was first released. It was very good but far from striking to Ye Olde Nose.

Then, yesterday tried it again only this time I spilled about 1/3 of the bottle into my hand so I quickly slathered my arms with it. Now *that* was good. I think it's a cologne that simply takes a fair bit more volume than what most are used to using. In a couple years, it would not surprise to hear that people are using 8-10 sprays or better.

Oh, and I enjoyed it enough I placed an order for it as my September Fragrance Purchase. 200ml would be the equivalent of 50 ml of Bois du Portugal. It'll go ever so well with the autumn fireplace in the evenings.

Cheers,
    Daryl J.

Banned

hello, i own a bottle of this stuff, got it at half price from a girl that did not like it. at first sniff i did not like it but later it got better and better it even outlouded Gold by amouage which was on the same hand . so i got interested in it! and i apply 10 sprays thats enough, more then that is too much, it wears like a skin, or like you put on some cashimre scarf around yourself....i did not try any other scent you mentioned here...but this is cologne and it wears like that, hence the size of the bottle, you cant use this one as a parfume, that applies small amount on pulse points no no...this goes over arms under arms and then you get the feeling perfect winter scent

Yes its good if Apls is to much for you. I found it smelled good up close but like nivea hand cream from a distance lol. I prefer Apls for its drydown though not so much for the opening.

I like about everything in his line. This is IMO one of his better offerings.

I think apls is excellent, have not tried cpls