Code of Conduct

Talking In Pursuit of The Holy Grail

In honour of my Holy Grail. Yes, after spending thousands of pounds (do not tell DH) I have found THE ONE. Who knew Chanel's Cristalle would be the one to claim me? Not me.

For those of you looking for your Holy Grail, please, if you hear nothing else - DO NOT BE SWAYED BY OTHER PEOPLE'S CHOICES, OPINIONS AND SNOB RATINGS. They are all there for guidance not dictate.

For the longest time I was convinced my personality demanded a "feminine" fragrance. Feminine? Roses of course. There began the long, long era of what I fondly call the "The War of the Roses". That said, I did find the Chypre Rose to die for - Andy Tauer's "Une Rose Chypree". Close to becoming my signature, but no cigar. Why? I was forcing myself to fall into a category - the type of female I wished to be perceived as. I am feminine, but I am also ballsy, forthright, opinionated, and an extrovert. The florals, therefore, never quite felt like me. Then again, the Bandits, Tabac Blonds, Fracas and other "Divas" never felt quite right either.

I could go on to tell you about the citrus phase (that didn't last long); the aquatic phase (yes, all worthy of a drop in the ocean); the floral phase (Interflora eat your heart out); the oriental phase (my family would have happily murdered me on this Orient Express ride or anywhere); and all the sub, sub categories therein.

What I know for sure, there is no knowing where, when or how you will find that fragrance you strangely become addicted to. You may not even like it at first. It may be niche, readily attainable, expensive - or not. The fragrance that speaks to you will be heard no matter what. I knew I had found my HOLY GRAIL simply because I really did not care who did or did not like it. It would usually take only one dissenting voice (or no reaction) for me to discard a love. Luca Turin has a lot to answer for. On that last point; no matter how learned "perfume experts" are there is one area upon which they absolutely cannot legislate. THE FRAGRANCE YOU LIKE. You don't even have to know why you like it. All that matters is that you do and that it makes you happy.

My Holy Grail is my signature. Another sentiment I became less and less ashamed about. Yes, I do have enough perfumes to start several hundred perfume wardrobes. In my final honesty though, I realised I did want to be identified with a particular perfume. A perfume that my children would smell long after I am gone and remember me by fondly. This admission stopped the pursuit of fragrances which I put in the category of "BEYOND NICHE". (A fragrance group so rare that sightings made national headlines.) If your children cannot get hold of it and/or afford it you ain't gonna be remembered by it!

Good luck in your search, but you could just stand still and wait to be found. May the Cristalle be with you.

Default Re: In Pursuit of The Holy Grail

Nice post, Plumly! Enjoy your signature!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Great post, I agree that wonderful scents will find you. I, too, am completely enamored with Cristalle...after swinging from sample to sample, I think I'm just going to suck it up and buy a full bottle soon. Huzzah!
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

enjoyed reading your post. funny, I have never sampled Cristalle. now I will have to try it!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Plumly, I love your writing style! And your avatar is one of the most wonderful I've seen. Thank you for posting and welcome to Basenotes.

I find the Holy Grail concept to be very romantic. I've decided that it's not going to work for me, however. A handful of top favorites? Maybe.

Heidi, with appreciation, adding Cristalle to the "must test" list

Nice post Plumly!
    My HG is Fracas, but Cristalle is definately a scent I reach out for in summer.

Very well said, Plumly, especially the part about not to be swayed by other people's opinions.
    I am still searching for a scent that I love love love from the first spritz to the last whiff, any place, any time, anywhere. I own a few FBs, which I really like, but each has its own mood, time of the day, season or occasion. Still fairly new to niche perfumery though (but already acquired quite a few samples), so perhaps there's something for me waiting out there .
    Anyway, I am a firm believer in "the holy grail is in the journey, not in the finding" (yes, I love Monty Python ), and deep in my heart I hope this journey will last a lifetime ! Such Fun!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to Basenotes Plumly.

I have personally found that the search itself for the Holy Grail is what it is all about. 'Finding it', for me, would be anti-climatic but probably give me a sense completion for the moment. I think I would enjoy whatever I thought was "it" at the time, re-think the whole thing and eventually consider it as another near-miss, and then re-engage the hunt.

For me, I think, the journey is the destination and the real pleasure of it all.
    Last edited by kbe; 31st October 2009 at 06:56 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

For me, I think, the journey is the destination and the real pleasure of it all.
    Great!!! We both wrote the same thing at the same time, kbe!

Hi Plumly,

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and congratulations on finding such a beautiful fragrance that reasonates with you and your life.

Despite experiences wtih all fragrance categories, the florals are my favorite - strong ones with presence like Dia, J-adore l'absolu and the sweet one J-adore l'eau. When I'm feeling demure, chypre is also a favorite: Philtre d'Amour and Mitsouko Fleur d' Lotus. My fave floral chypre right now is Odalisque, and I must credit Turin for my exposure to that one!

What I'd like to have find me is the perfect green chypre floral: not too sweet, not too austere, and that might be one mighty long wait....

Ohh. Now I'll have to try Cristalle! This was an excellent read.

I don't know if I'll ever find a end-all-be-all. I love the idea so much, but I'm coming to terms that a big part of my perfume 'hobby' is the hunt. I love it! My friends love it too, because I'm always giving away all the stuff I bought that didn't work.

When I found Habanita for the first time, I was like "THIS IS IT!" It's pretty close to the perfect scent for me. But then I was buying a bottle of Black Orchid the NEXT DAY. So...I don't think I'm loyal enough to scent to have a holy grail.
    Last edited by latelittlesleeper; 6th November 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome Plumly !

Holy Grails.... I think I have many now ! Right now it's Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia .
    Anyway, like kbe said.... it's the journey that's fun and I don't think I can stop searching.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.