Code of Conduct

Default Warm, soft, suntan lotion scent

Hello,

Since my last post, I've been hunting down fragances that smell beachy. I've tried Bond No. 9 Fire Island, Tommy Bahama and Creed Virgin Island Water.

After smelling these, I'm still nowhere closer to getting my hands on a particular scent. I don't know what tyep of scent this is, but I'll do my best to describe it.

The dry down smells very warm. But the warm this not winter warm, its the warm smell you get after you've applied suntan lotion and gone to the beach for a day.

Yet after the suntan lotion note, there is a trail of sweetness, almost melted sugar like. A sweet-suntan lotion smell, yet at the same time very soft - extremely soft not powdery. Like fluffy warm suntan lotion.

Dior Homme is very similiar to the "softness" I'm describing, but it does not have the suntan lotion smell and sweetness with it. Allure Homme Blanche's drydown has a similiar softness, but like Dior Homme, doesn't have that suntan lotion and sweetness to it. Although there is softness in this scent, its the combination of the soft and the warmth - with particular emphasis on the warmth - that I'm after.

All those fragrances aforementioned I have tried, although smelling like suntan lotion, do not have that warmth and "softness" this particular fragrance I'm after. For the past month, I've taken time and effort by going into departmental stores to try as many colognes as I can see fit from the big brands.

I thought Rochas Man would be it after reading basenotes and another site, but its definitely not it - too much vanilla and nauseating.

Can someone please help a tormented soul out?! I've been looking high and low looking for this particular scent, yet having no luck. Oh so I wish I asked this stranger on the street what he was wearing. Now I'm just counting on Basenoters to help me out!

I live in Sydney, Australia so I'm thinking it'll have to be a cologne that is accessible to us Aussies easily :S

Thanks!

P.S. 2:30am, please excuse some spelling mistakes and grammar
    Last edited by dribs; 29th October 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Warm, soft, suntan lotion scent

Obssesion night
    Fahrenheit 32
    D&G The One

try those.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Bronze Goddess eau fraiche skinscent - Estée Lauder.

Dont let the name or brand scare you away - there are many male BNers (myself included) who adore and wear this for the exact same qualities that you're looking for. Read this blog I wrote on it a number of months ago.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 29th October 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

did a little search, and here are a few scents that reviewers have described as suntan lotion like.

Nautica Sunset Voyage
    Ginger Ciao 2.27
    Hypnotic Poison
    DEMETER: Suntan Lotion
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

Dont let the name or brand scare you away - there are many male BNers (myself included) who adore and wear this for the exact same qualities that you're looking for. Read this blog I wrote on it a number of months ago.
    There is also Tom Ford for Estee Lauder - Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sun Men Jil Sander

Post Thanks / Like

I'll also recommend Estee Lauder Azuree Soleil or Bronze Goddess. I think these are the same, or very nearly the same scents. I haven't tried Bronze Goddess, but I do own Azuree Soleil.

I think the Estee Lauder scent is your best choice, but you might also have a sniff of Jil Sander Sun, the one for women, not for men, and see how you like it.

noggs

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have sampled both Azuree Soleil and own Bronze Goddess (2 bottles in fact) - and they are practically identical.

Sun Man is also a good call, but I dont think readily available in Australia (at least it wasnt when i lived there a couple of years ago).

Post Thanks / Like

I second both versions of Jil Sander Sun and would also suggest Escada Sunset Heat for Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Gendarme - it's not "warm" per se, but smells a bit like unscented sun screen lotion. Might be what you're looking for.

virgin island water
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

BINGO

Marc Jacobs and Gendarme

Post Thanks / Like

Salvador Dali - Laguna

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens.

Definitely try D&G The One - it has an almost biscuit like sweetness that really reminds me of sun-lotion...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

(Sounds like a sacrilege to me, but since I once read it around here I can't get it out of my head: There are times when Chergui smells like the most expensive suntan lotion known to man... However, you should check out Chergui anyway...)

:-)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 29th October 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Neroli36 by Le Labo (somewhat similar to SUN by Jil Sander).

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really digging Mona DiOrio Carnation in this category. Carnation in this context is a French term to describe the smell and glow of a young woman's skin after having been at the beach all day. Not 100% sun tan but I think it fits the bill nicely.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

CB I Hate Perfume At the Beach 1966
    Bobbi Brown Beach
    and the original suntan oil scent: Jean Patou Chaldee (minis are somewhat easy enough to come by on eBay and not too expensive)

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts

Oh and Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I thought one of the Diesel frags smelled like suntan lotion too - don't recall which.
    Last edited by hammersj; 29th October 2009 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Virgin Island Water reminds one of suntan lotion from what I recall.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's second vote for CB I Hate Perfume -- At the Beach 1966. It has an actual base note of Coppertone's 1960's formula. For something less literal, try I Hate Perfume's Mr. Hulot's Holiday which is described as "the salty breath of the breeze off the Mediterranean, driftwood, rocks covered with seaweed and the smell of old leather suitcases." It's not exactly suntan lotion but when I wear this one, it reminds me of the smell of my skin after a day at the beach -- salty but clean and warm.

Marc Jacobs
    Tommy Hilfiger Summer for Men 2008

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts

Marc Jacobs - coconut, fig and soft suede leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Evenstar

D&G The One
    Marc Jacobs
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's
    Salvador Dali Laguna

I second Fire Island by Bond No. 9.

Thank you all very much, for your suggestions.

I went into the store to try out the suggested Estee Lauder BronzeGoddess (the lady told me the Eau Fraiche was discontinued now and that Tom Ford no longer work with them). I have to say that the scent itself is very "coconutty". It is indeed very smooth, however, there isn't the "warm" smell after applying suntan lotion and going to the beach for a couple of hours.

The warmth I'm talking about is the sort of warmth that encases your nose and your surroundings. I know The One is a warm fragrance, but it doens't have that Suntan lotion smell. The One is more gingery and sweet.

Essentially, I'm looking for something with the smoothness of the Estee Launder, warmth of The One (actually, even more warmer than The One for Men) with the smell AND warmth of suntan lotion (This "smell" and "warmth" of suntan lotion I'm referring to is something you can attain after putting on lotion and spending a couple of hours at the beach).

I'm starting to think my attempts at ever finding this fragrance is becoming futile. I'm quite upset

Which make of the Marc Jacobs are some posters talking about?

I can't get my hands on Jil Sander but I'll see what I can do. Also, I had a look at the description of Bobbi Brown's Beach on the website and appaerntly that is quite beachy as well? Perhaps, I don't know. Might have to visit Bobbi's counter at David Jones to try out.

Anymore suggestions?

Edit: I have already tried Fire Island, Virgin Island Water and Saint Barts. Even have the samples right in front of me
    Last edited by dribs; 30th October 2009 at 04:05 AM.

A new scent that matches what you are looking for is Six Scents Series 2 #4. Stephen Nilsen the nose behind it describes his influence here... “I was very inspired by Henry’s very specific visualization of the fragrance as an oversized, purple sofa where people would gather. This was such a vivid and extremely personal feeling that he conveyed to me, that I felt compelled to capture it. I started with the idea of the color purple, and what that smells like and added other elements that were touchstones for Henry. These included the idea of comfort and warmth and an overall relaxing quality that Henry expressed was important to him. Henry also shared his favorite natural ingredients including the smell of pine trees and beach memories of suntan lotion. Purple Flower Petals of Lilac & Jasmine form the center point for the fragrance with the soft, fluffy texture of Musk. It is an embracing hug of a fragrance that wraps you in its comfort.” - Stephen Nilsen

This scent instantly reminded me of long days at the beach and out in the summer sun, everyone wearing suntan lotion. I then got online to see the notes and sure enough, I read the above description and there was the mention of suntan lotion. This is also warm smelling to me, like a warm body releasing the scent of an exhaustive day at the beach or in the sun. I really think it will fit close to what you are looking for.

Maybe it was just suntan lotion? Or something from Bath & Body Works?
    Last edited by hammersj; 31st October 2009 at 05:47 PM.

I think she is looking for a scent that reminds her of the things she mentioned and can wear as a perfume, not actually trying to identify what it was she smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    This is a gorgeous skin scent with a sunbaked "feel" to it. I love it, and second this suggestion as one worth trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Renato; 2nd November 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Warm, soft, suntan lotion scent

Without a doubt my suggestion would be Fendi Theorema Esprit d'ete. Getting harder to find but, well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I think she is looking for a scent that reminds her of the things she mentioned and can wear as a perfume, not actually trying to identify what it was she smelled.
    That's what I thought at first, too, but the poster mentioned smelling it on a stranger on the street.
    Last edited by hammersj; 1st November 2009 at 11:34 PM.

I'm a guy Thought that was implied in my original post when i mentioned colgone.

I tried YSL L'Homme on the weekend and it smells very nice! Smooth and soft, not sure about the warmth part yet as it was only on a card. I have a feeling when applied on skin, it might turn warm.

Though I'm still looking!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ck be comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree - this scent is gorgeous, it is both warm and beachy without being nausiating. In fact Ive just subjected my fella to a spritz of it, and men could totally pull this one off. Go try some!!!!

Edit: oopsie, you already did try some, lol. Sorry! Good luck though and tell us when/if you find that perfect scent you are after! Worth trying Bobbi Brown Beach, but personally I have found this to be quite sharp and headachy and quite copertone-esque.
    On a side note, I did actually email the guys who make Hawaiian Tropic sun lotion, and demand they make an EDT, lol. Needless to say, it was fruitless. Worth a try though, HT is yummy!

ps. If one adores Bronze Goddess, is it likely they will like Fire Island? I've not sampled this, but might it be worth trying to find a sample somewhere? (apologies for hijacking thread, just didnt want to start a new one!)
    Last edited by goldiloks; 7th November 2009 at 12:48 PM.