Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Question Should price even matter when reviewing niche scents?

I'll be completely honest; at times I'm tempted to give a 'neutral rating' when a scent's perceived quality doesn't quite justify its stratospheric price. But I ask myself if I'm reviewing the scent for its quality and attractiveness or its 'value for money'? That's when I stop short and give a thumbs up. I feel reviews should focus on the quality of scent rather than the price 'cuz it's really up to consumers if they are willing to spend that money for a pricey scent that smells fantastic.

What's your take on this issue? :brolly:

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should price even matter when reviewing niche scents?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ...I feel reviews should focus on the quality of scent rather than the price 'cuz it's really up to consumers if they are willing to spend that money for a pricey scent that smells fantastic.

I totally agree with DiamondFlame. Incorporating one's value-for-money perception into a review tends to becloud the primary objective of the review of the scent. With all the threads on price, cost of ingredients, value, etc, we should by now realise that pricing is quite subjective. The choice to purchase or not is up to the buyer. That choice is better helped with a good, focused review of the scent in question.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It's a thing of logic to me. At the time of evaluation, if you can justify the money then you buy it.
    If the price is over a logical limit, then you don't buy it. Reviews should be scent driven.
    Last edited by steve_123; 29th October 2009 at 04:10 PM.

I think if cost leads one to a neutral rating, that should be stated in the review. I know I have considered cost in my ratings. However, never cost in isolation.

I could give a long winded explanation; not sure if anyone wants to hear it.

Basenotes Plus

In summary, it's a scent review, not a consumer review.

To take this further, would you grant a scent a thumbs up just because it smells decent enough but is available for cheap? That's why I'm beginnning to approach the bargains with a little more caution... 'Try before you buy' is still the watchword.

I agree with scentsitivity. I think cost does factor in, but you should clearly state this in any review if it affects your rating.

Basenotes Plus

Hmm... I can understand why 'value' perceptions could be useful to consumers in general. Perhaps an alternative could be to break the ratings into components, much like a movie review. For example:

Quality of scent:
    Wearability factor:
    Sillage:
    Longevity:
    Sex Appeal (lol):
    Value for Money:
    OVERALL:

Just my 2 cents. The rest are free.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 29th October 2009 at 04:26 PM.

I disagree. Most reviews, even professional reviews, of other consumer products are always written with price in mind. Cars, audio and video equipment, cameras, computers, phones, vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, you name it, are all talked about in relation to their cost.

I admit that fragrances are not the same as those things, which are essentially tools primarily judged on their performance. Perfumes are more akin to clothing and jewelry, judged more by their appearance and their suitabilty for an individual than by specs or performance.

I do agree that cost shouldn't be the primary concern of a review, but it should be a factor. An expensive perfume should smell expensive, be well made, be long lasting, etc. I expect more of an expensive perfume. If it doesn't cut it, I'll downgrade it. For me, the item must justify its price. Yes, price is subjective based on our various incomes, but not in terms of relation to other perfumes. That should be the frame of reference. How does it perform compared with other perfumes of varying cost? I know this is difficult, that fragrances are different from one another, and it's hard to compare. But cost is an important factor for every consumer and I don't think it should be ignored.

The decision whether to buy it is subjective. Some may consider an item worth the price, others not, but I think that a discussion of price deserves a place in a fragrance review.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 29th October 2009 at 04:33 PM.

First of all, anyone can review as they see fit. Personally I find cost a relevant and potentially interesting factor, whether niche or not, for reasons already stated by noggs. Perfume is a product, after all, and if perfume x is virtually identical to perfume y but happens to cost 300% more that's significant, as is the fact of a low-budget perfume being exceptionally good. And yes, it makes sense to point to what extent price has shaped your judgement.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 29th October 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I disagree. Most reviews, even professional reviews, of other consumer products are always written with price in mind. Cars, audio and video equipment, cameras, computers, phones, vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, you name it, are all talked about in relation to their cost.

noggs
    Here's the consumer review vs perfume critic debate. A consumer review must always consider the price factor but not necessary so for perfume critic, though you can always draw comparisons to more affordable alternatives from quality perspective. I think as long as we explain ourselves, as scensitivity pointed out, both options are still open.

I do agree that cost shouldn't be the primary concern of a review, but it should be a factor. An expensive perfume should smell expensive, be well made, be long lasting, etc. I expect more of an expensive perfume.

Yes, price is subjective based on our various incomes, but not in terms of relation to other perfumes. That should be the frame of reference.
    Agree 100%. Sorry, but quality vs. price certainly is (and should be) a factor in reviews. If I bought a Lexus and it had the same quality interior materials as a Kia, I would not be happy. The fact that I cannot afford a Lexus doesn't matter. It should still be better than the Kia for me to give it a "good" review. Similarly, I do not expect the Kia to have the quality of the Lexus for a "good" review.

Yes, "quality of materials" in scents is more subjective than with cars, but really, most of us can tell if an expensive scent is cheaply made and uncreative. Such a scent might eek out a thumbs up if it can be had for $30, but it would ridiculous to judge a $200 scent by the same criteria.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 29th October 2009 at 05:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

In my case, the value-for-money factor is, in this case, minimal at best. Besides, although the cost factor may be important and although it remains up to everyone's liberty how to asses a frag, when it comes to most people's favorite or most hated scents, perceptions are already that strong, that radically polarized and so convincingly expressed, that one tends to hate/love a frag long before and/or long after the price even becomes an issue.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 29th October 2009 at 05:19 PM.

I do think price is relavent when reviewing scents... Especially if the scent in question can be compared to another scent of equal quality that is a fraction of the price... I don't think price should be the be all, end all, just part of the equation of the overall review...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I do think price is relavent when reviewing scents... Especially if the scent in question can be compared to another scent of equal quality that is a fraction of the price... I don't think price should be the be all, end all, just part of the equation of the overall review...

I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have enjoyed this thread and I come down on the side that cost should be something that COULD be factored into a review, but not a must or can not be reviewed factor. I wish we could give a rating in a number scale, one to ten, and have catagories, like smell alone; or cost vs. perceived benefit: originality, and of course, projection/silage and longevity. That would make the review a bit better than knowing that 48 of those that reviewed Cuba gave it a thumbs up. We could see if that means that 96% mean it is a 9.2 rating of 10 on smell or does that mean something else?

I think higher prices create higher expectations. When you're paying a premium price, you certainly are primed for a premium fragrance. Take Amouage, for example, their prices are all relatively high by industry standards. And yet, up until their uniform repackaging, they had a few lower priced fragrances in their line-up, around $150 for 50ml, compared to their usual $250 for 50ml: Arcus and Silver Cologne come to mind. They dropped Arcus and turned Silver into an EdT or EdP (same juice, IMO), and put it in the new, uniform bottle. Amouage Silver is now in-line, price wise, with Gold, Jubilation, Dia, Lyric, etc. But you can still find the old packaging of the fragrance for $155.
    With this in mind, I think Silver smells like a very high quality niche offering, but it certainly isn't as unique as the other Amouage fragrances previously mentioned. I paid $155 for mine, and my feelings are that it fully smells that price. However, at $250, I certainly wouldn't feel as strongly about it and in a review would write, nice, but does it really smell like it has the Amouage DNA?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th October 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Initially I was going to say no , but thinking about it I guess it should do really .

I dont know if many people here are like me , if I really love something I will buy it - budget allowing of course , even if I know thats its stupidly expensive for what it is .

With smelly , I will take seriously into consideration longevity . I certainly wouldnt spend , say $300 on something that only lasts an hour or two on the skin as that represents poor value for money IMO

Nathan Branchs' review today for example on Yosh 'Trompeur' , he states that you have to genenously apply it even tho its $300 for an 8ml bottle . This should of course factor into a review IMO

Wink Re: Should price even matter when reviewing niche scents?

Hi!

I think that price is part of the purchase decision process, therefore the scent should be reviewed on its own and then it should be stated whether it is good value for money. This may have nothing to do with a thumbs up or down but value for money judements should also me mentioned.

e.g. Green Irish Tweed is a good scent, it should be given a thumbs up but you can also mention that cool water is almost the same and can be had for much less and there isnt much difference difference it siliage and longevity.

That way you tell the viewer that yes GIT smells good but there are other better value for money alternatives around, instead of giving GIT a thumbs down because it costs more that Cool Water.

Blog Entries

I believe price becomes relevant only in acquiring a scent, and shound't effect your view of the scent one way or the other. Over the years, I have bought quite a few scents because they seemed to be such a great value compared to their actual going price at that time. Most of them, I couldn't warm up to that much even if the company gave them away for free.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Some other forums I've been to sometimes have a review category "value for money" or some such.

But this isn't BASENOTES: CONSUMER REPORTS.

For me, our reviews/comments in here are mostly about the scent. Anyone is free to include whether they think the cost justifies their purchasing a frag. Or to just disregard the cost and talk about the frag.
    But I am amused when people boldly declare that something isn't worth the price. There are a lot of Creed haters for their prices and I see they've been in business since the 1760s....

If I really love a scent, I'll decide if it's worth it. I think we all pretty much do the same.

At the same time, we should all feel free to grouse and grumble about the costs of the juice...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th October 2009 at 07:38 PM.

NO It either smell good or it don't ....... BUT It sure better last long if it cost a lot.

Yet, since I am not snobbish, at least not a snob in terms of "what costs more is undoubtedly better",
    I must admit that I might give rave reviews to niche scents which might also be extremely cheap (Utopian, I know); irrespective of passions, attachments, repulsions etc. existing long before and long after the cost factor.

It's the same thing when someone reviews a fragrance that is not really bad, but is predictable (most designer releases nowadays). Sometimes a fragrance, extrictly by itself, wouldnt deserve a neutral or negative review, but comparing to other scents (and comparing prices too), it happens to get a neutral or negative review.

Yes, I think considering prices is appropriate when reviewing a fragrance, as well as considering it's originality.

AromiErotici

Price is secondary when doing a review of any scent. Once the review is completed, it's revealing to future readers to state whether the frag was great bang for the buck....or.....if you believe the juice isn't worth the asking price.

Morning Star

Price would only not matter if the expected reader doesn't care about losing money. I don't know anyone like that, myself, so it's always a factor for me.

I don't go in with the same expectations of a $20 as I do with a $200 one, except that they smell good and I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Agree 100%. Sorry, but quality vs. price certainly is (and should be) a factor in reviews. If I bought a Lexus and it had the same quality interior materials as a Kia, I would not be happy. The fact that I cannot afford a Lexus doesn't matter. It should still be better than the Kia for me to give it a "good" review. Similarly, I do not expect the Kia to have the quality of the Lexus for a "good" review.

Yes, "quality of materials" in scents is more subjective than with cars, but really, most of us can tell if an expensive scent is cheaply made and uncreative. Such a scent might eek out a thumbs up if it can be had for $30, but it would ridiculous to judge a $200 scent by the same criteria.

I completetly agree..kind of like the same way a 600 HP Ferrari can get a thumbs down while a Kia sould can get a thumbs up based on its price point.

because really, at the end of the day, it all boils down to purchasing, while scents are pieces of arts all in themselves, it is still a piece of Object to be bought, and prices should really come into play with ratings.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

noggs
    Noggs, I have to respectfully disagree with this sentiment. You cannot generalize the issue and compare frags to those other industries, especially not when we're considering the niche frag market. For niche (not others at this point), you're most likely going to be playing the a price ballpark that's already "up there", at this point IMO price becomes irrelavent. At these prices, it's assumed that the overall price is NOT the number one priority to the person reading the reviews.

Now, that being said, I don't think it hurts to compare similarly priced goods. If you're reviewing, say Amouage Homage, it doesn't hurt to say something to the tune of "For Homage's price, you aren't getting the same concentration, longevity or quality that you would get in similarly priced attars." (Note, I've never tried Homage, or any other attar for that matter, it was just the best example I could think of off the top of my head.)
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

A fragrance has several facets to it and a review should address each of those facets.
    Price is certainly one of the components that a fragrance should be evaluated upon.

After judging a fragrance's structure & longevity, a reviewer can comment upon the whole fragrance based upon it's price. IMO the fragrance can make or break purely on the basis it's pricing. If an expensive fragrance is not unique or doesn't last long enough, it may be adjudged as a poor choice, what would have otherwise been a good choice if it were not for its higher price.

Therefore price is definitely one of the variables when reviewing a fragrance.

But price is SUBJECTIVE! That's the point! Putting in YOU'RE opinion on if it's "worth" the asking price or not, is pointless, since we don't all have the same opinion on pricing. So what if reviewer X thinks Fragrance Y is too much, Reader A.B,C disagree, so adding it to the review adds nothing of merit.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I have to disagree with noggs. Usually price is only considered on "consumer" grade products. However, price is almost never a concern for audiophiles, art collectors, haute couture, and the like. These products exist in their own space, separate from the Best Buys and Macys. In our case, niche and designer fragrances are wholly unique experiences, each catering to a different audience.

I think Comme des Garçons and Ralph Lauren best represent what I'm trying to say. You can't compare the two, anymore than you can compare a Honda or a Spyker. In the case of niche, it is simply good or not good, and that in and of itself, is the value.

I definitely factor price when comparing/purchasing fragrances

I mean, for me at least, if two scents smelled very similar and one cost 10x than the other, well then you have cant put them on the same level can you. At least I can't

the way I look at it is that there is a reasonable threshold that exists, but not established, in each of us. If the price difference is say 30% higher/lower than the market then you can say it can be somewhat ignored and the juice is judged strictly on its components. However, if the price is 80% +/- what the average cost is, well then I think it becomes much more of an issue in deciding whether or not the fragrance is bottle worthy or not.

just my two cents
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    But price is SUBJECTIVE! That's the point! Putting in YOU'RE opinion on if it's "worth" the asking price or not, is pointless, since we don't all have the same opinion on pricing. So what if reviewer X thinks Fragrance Y is too much, Reader A.B,C disagree, so adding it to the review adds nothing of merit.
    By this line of thinking fragrance reviews themselves are subjective, so what is the point of having those?? I think fragrance X is da bomb. Readers 1, 2, & 3 think fragrance X is overrated poppycock. Since no one agrees, I guess reviewing fragrance X is an exercise in futility...

By this line of thinking fragrance reviews themselves are subjective, so what is the point of having those?? I think fragrance X is da bomb. Readers 1, 2, & 3 think fragrance X is overrated poppycock. Since no one agrees, I guess reviewing fragrance X is an exercise in futility...
    Excellent point

Not entirely. Yes smell is subjective, what smells good is subjective as well. IMO a scent review, should address things that we all want to know about said fragrance: longevity, sillage, sweetness, blending, what notes are most pronounced. I don't feel like playing devil's advocate, and as I stated in a previous post, I find it appropriate and helpful to mention price in comparison with similar frags at similar prices. But, price is too much of a subjective entity to be offering up opinions on. IF, you feel the need to mention it in a review, at least preface it with IMO.

Not entirely. Yes smell is subjective, what smells good is subjective as well. IMO a scent review, should address things that we all want to know about said fragrance: longevity, sillage, sweetness, blending, what notes are most pronounced. I don't feel like playing devil's advocate, and as I stated in a previous post, I find it appropriate and helpful to mention price in comparison with similar frags at similar prices. But, price is too much of a subjective entity to be offering up opinions on. IF, you feel the need to mention it in a review, at least preface it with IMO.
    I think price is much less subjective than all the things you mentioned (sillage, longevity, sweetness..). Most designers and niche scents have a price range alike, comparing each one in their category. If you list all prices of niche scents out there, probably 70% of them have a common price range, with little variations. It happens the same thing with any other product for sale. Good cars in the same category costs around the same, same for fragrances (even niche) and everything else. The prices of products for the same target consumers are most times around the same.

Personally I don't make price a factor in reviews - but I do tend to mention it. I do find that the same rule applies, roughly, to anything.. higher quality demands higher prices. There are exceptions to the rule, but few and far in between from my experiences, thus far.

Price should be a factor in reviews to the point where if there's an equal or better alternative to a lower price, that should surely be recommended in reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Chêne View Post
    In our case, niche and designer fragrances are wholly unique experiences, each catering to a different audience. .
    I think people are reading way too much into the term "niche." Niche need not mean expensive; Ava Luxe is a niche line yet these perfumes very reasonably priced, as are many Commes des Garcons frags. Nor is niche a "wholly unique experience" incapable of being compared to so-called designer frags, whether fragrances are designer or niche, all perfumes are created for the users to derive some type of pleasure.
    Last edited by surreality; 30th October 2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

As long as the only options are thumbs up, down, or neutral, I don't think that price should be considered for that decision.

That doesn't mean that I don't care - I'd be happy to see a Value rating, and I'm interested in that information in the text of the review. But I want to know if the fragrance is good, irrespective of the price.

Exactly.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Here's the consumer review vs perfume critic debate. A consumer review must always consider the price factor but not necessary so for perfume critic.
    Firstly, is there an implication in the above quotation that perfume reviews are akin to art criticism? This creates a whole slew of problems in and of itself.

Secondly, I would guess that many, if not most, people that use the basenotes directory and read the reviews, read them as consumer reviews, as an aid to decide which perfume to buy.

Prices? It's only money. I think that the quality must be compared to the price as part of the overall evaluation.

Blog Entries

Some years ago, Consumer Reports actually had an article on perfume-- value ratings were based on price, of course, not on quality. It was ridiculous. Ha, I may look for the issue in a periodicals index at the library for a laugh. It was a once-off; they never ran a perfume article again.

Price does influence whether I buy but not nearly as much as I thought it would a year ago. In the end, a perfume is "worth it" to the person who likes it enough to be willing to pay for it. And I've decided that the costliest perfume is the one that sits in my drawer unused because after buying it, I discover that I don't like it enough to wear it. That is truly a waste of money, even if it was relatively "cheap."

Now I think more in terms of price per wearing. Some very costly fragrances (like Amouage Gold) are so strong that one only need use very little. That reduces the cost per wearing.

All in all, I think price should not be a major factor in a perfume review. If the perfume in question is significantly costlier than a comparable scent, then mention it (maybe I'll want to try that other scent instead and pocket the difference!), but whether it smells good or not is unrelated to price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Firstly, is there an implication in the above quotation that perfume reviews are akin to art criticism? This creates a whole slew of problems in and of itself.

Secondly, I would guess that many, if not most, people that use the basenotes directory and read the reviews, read them as consumer reviews, as an aid to decide which perfume to buy.
    I know you're right, but I personally think about perfume as a beautiful intersection of art and fashion. No one would say that Van Gogh's Sunflower paintings are "nice, but not worth the price". The people interested in Chanel couture probably aren't that worried about fluctuations in price - they're in it for the fashion and the style.

Really, most scents (niche or not) fall somewhere between $40 and $150. If something falls outside of that, I may mention it in a review , but if it falls into the middle of the bell curve, it seems kind of pointless.

I think I mainly take umbrage with reviewers who won't ever give a good review to anything over a certain dollar amount. Are you reviewing the price? Ok, we get it. You're offended that it's expensive. I personally don't know how much value that adds to the discourse. (This also applies to people who give reviews that a cheap frag smells "cheap." Duh. Step away from the Azzaro and go back to sniffing your Lutens...)
    Last edited by rogalal; 30th October 2009 at 03:19 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Of course! It is a product review. All important facets of the product should be accounted for.

When I am deciding whether or not to buy a scent, an automatic list is compiled in my head of positives and negatives. Notes I like and dislike, longevity, wearability, packaging, availability, and price are all important characteristics of the product.

For those of you saying "no," can you really rate something based on longevity then? What if the bottle has to be smashed open with a hammer to get any juice out? Maybe it turns after 5 minutes of air exposure?

What it boils down to is that you should rate something based on your enjoyment of it. If a cheaper price tag makes you happier about it, you should rate it better. If you do not feel the scent justifies the price tag, that might lessen your enjoyment of the product, and it should therefore be rated lower. If its price doesn't matter to you, then of course you should not factor this into your review. Reviews are totally subjective. That's kinda the point.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Just a thought:

Do a count of the number of posters on this thread. Now assume we were all reviewing the same frag and someone not too knowledgeable about scents is really searching for olfactory answers. How illuminating will the reviews be to the reader?

Everybody's circumstances and value perceptions are different, but tuberose is tuberose. A hapless reader will be saddled with the burden of deciphering the differing opinions about the frag's tuberose, coupled with the differing value perceptions of the reviewers. I believe readers are as financially savvy as us reviewers, or at least thave their own perceptions. Our value-added, really is our informed opinion of the scents reviewed. Again, i believe the value decision should be left to the reader. Reviewers who feel strongly about value and feel they must inidicate their thoughts may do so, but not in a way that distracts from their olfactory opinion of the scent under review.

Of course, if a question is asked about value, then the OP of the thread should get ready for the differing opinions that will be received. That is the stuff of polls.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 30th October 2009 at 07:04 AM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I disagree. For starters, a review reflects the opinion of the reviewer who is in no way obliged to keep the opinion of others in mind. If the reviewer wants to give a neutral rating because he feels the fragrance is overpriced then that's his right. I do agree with scentsitivity that he she should this in the review. Furthermore, I think that all fragrances should be reviewed in light of their price. What if, say, Une Rose was composed of 50% Bulgarian rose absolute and 50% steam distilled poo? It would probably be very expensive due to the rose absolute, but the end result would be so bad it would never, ever justify the price!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I think that the primary focus should be the scent, but price is a factor that should be taken into account.

I will give a thumbs up for a scent that smells good, even if I think that it doesn't smell special enough for me to pay the price of a bottle.

But if I'm in doubt if the smell is a thumbs up or a neutral, price will make a difference. A more expensive fragrance will be more likely to get a neutral rating in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    No one would say that Van Gogh's Sunflower paintings are "nice, but not worth the price".
    Really? I think that many art collectors who really do appreciate art for art's sake set limits at art auctions have that exact mindset.

no, just as it shouldn't matter how cheap a fragrance is
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Basenotes Plus

As long as they are well argued, differing opinions are more than welcomed so keep them coming.
    A cheap scent can smell good. A high quality and expensive scent usually smells better. Both deserve 'thumbs up'. It's up to the consumer to decide which offers the better value. But I have to agree affordability does have an effect on consumer satisfaction and as someone pointed out earlier, many consumers use Basenotes to look at consumers' reviews: no. of thumbs up vs thumbs down, etc.

...oops double post
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 30th October 2009 at 06:32 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't think there has to be a divide between "artistic" reviews and "consumer" reviews.

Yes, we are all collectors concerned with the artistic merits of scent, and we can write reviews concerned only with artistic merit. But we also have to decide whether we value the artistic merit of a scent enough as artistically driven collectors to merit a purchase at a given price. I think it's reasonable for collectors to expect more from an expensive scent.

And again, price concerns are subjective. We obviously have different income levels. But value judgments should be relative to other fragrances, and not to our individual purchasing abilities.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 30th October 2009 at 05:49 PM.

As long as they are well argued, differing opinions are more than welcomed so keep them coming.
    A cheap scent can smell good. A high quality and expensive scent usually smells better. Both deserve 'thumbs up'. It's up to the consumer to decide which offers the better value. But I have to agree affordability does have an effect on consumer satisfaction and as someone pointed out earlier, many consumers use Basenotes to look at consumers' reviews: no. of thumbs up vs thumbs down, etc.
    I think it is fine for a reviewer to state their opinion as to what is better value, provided they have something in mind to compare it with.

So take two fragrances that are very similar. One costs half the price of the other, but it is equally satisfying to the reviewer. I think it is appropriate and even helpful for the reviewer to make recommendations and relative comparisons as part of the review. I think relative cost can be a consideration in such recommendations.

One can also do similar linkages between relative cost and longevity.

And other linkages as well (e.g., cost and concentration, cost and quality of bottle, etc).

I try to avoid thinking of cost of a bottle as a stand alone factor though.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I think people are reading way too much into the term "niche." Niche need not mean expensive; Ava Luxe is a niche line yet these perfumes very reasonably priced, as are many Commes des Garcons frags. Nor is niche a "wholly unique experience" incapable of being compared to so-called designer frags, whether fragrances are designer or niche, all perfumes are created for the users to derive some type of pleasure.
    ELDO frags too.

Ok, fine, I'm retracting some of my statements, and going to state a new (hopefully improved) theory. Price is important. For the most part, whether we're consciously aware of it or not, price will factor into our decision on just about every purchase, fragrance related or not. That being said, I don't think it should affect the outcome of you're review. In our current setup, with only three possible ratings, I don't think it's fair to give a very good fragrance, that would otherwise get a thumbs up, a neutral simply because of the reviewer's percieved value of the fragrance. Similarly, I don't think a relatively "cheap" fragrance, that manages to be merely average, and would in a perfect world score a neutral, be moved to a thumbs up because, it can be had inexpensively. Basically, I think price should or can be mentioned, but it shouldn't factor into the rating of the SCENT, it should be left up to the person reading to formulate their own opinion based on the price.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 30th October 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Price is a big consideration. BUT make sure you put it in the review that you are factoring it in.

In our current setup, with only three possible ratings, I don't think it's fair to give a very good fragrance, that would otherwise get a thumbs up, a neutral simply because of the reviewer's percieved value of the fragrance.
    It is interesting that you bring up the notion of fairness. However, this brings me to ask "what has fairness got to do with a perfume review?" Making value judgments based on subjective and highly personal criteria about anything seems unfair, for doing this is merely the projection of our personal biases (which often have no rational basis) onto a thing. For instance, it seems no less unfair to say that because a fragrance smells "dated" and giving it a thumbs down based on that criterion than it does to say that one does not find a certain fragrance to be good value for money and giving it a thumbs down for that criterion.

If fairness is to be taken into consideration when writing a review, and if value judgments based on highly personal judgements are unfair, then it follows that one should not include these criteria in a review either. But to say that seems absurd, for what would be left for a reviewer to say but a series of sterile, quasi-scientific statements about those aspects of a fragrance that have some level of objectivity (or at least highly confirmed intersubjectivity).
    Last edited by surreality; 2nd November 2009 at 02:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

- Smells fantastic but overpriced (to me) so a Neutral rating.
    - Smells fantastic but money is no object (to me) so a Thumbs Up.
    - Smells good but similarly competent scents can be had for much less so a Thumbs Down.
    - Smells good at a very affordable price so a Thumbs Up.
    - Smells good but a little pricey so a Neutral.
    - Smells fantastic, so a 'Thumbs Up' if money is not an issue but 'Neutral' if on a budget constraint.
    - Smells good but a little pricey; check out X which is very similar but more affordable. Neutral or Thumbs Up

etc.

Just some simplified variations of reviews with price as a consideration. I think readers are discerning enough to use their own judgement re: value for money factor and decide which scent is worth sampling or buying.