Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Should price even matter when reviewing niche scents?

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    It is interesting that you bring up the notion of fairness. However, this brings me to ask "what has fairness got to do with a perfume review?" Making value judgments based on subjective and highly personal criteria about anything seems unfair, for doing this is merely the projection of our personal biases (which often have no rational basis) onto a thing. For instance, it seems no less unfair to say that because a fragrance smells "dated" and giving it a thumbs down based on that criterion than it does to say that one does not find a certain fragrance to be good value for money and giving it a thumbs down for that criterion.

If fairness is to be taken into consideration when writing a review, and if value judgments based on highly personal judgements are unfair, then it follows that one should not include these criteria in a review either. But to say that seems absurd, for what would be left for a reviewer to say but a series of sterile, quasi-scientific statements about those aspects of a fragrance that have some level of objectivity (or at least highly confirmed intersubjectivity).
    Oh I agree! On anything that can truly be left up to personal bias, such as whether a frag is "dated" as you say, I think should be left out of the final "grade" that the scent gets. What seperated the very good reviewers from those that aren't as good, is the ability to review a scent based on the basics, just the scent. I know some of the really great reviewers on here have given 5 stars to something that they detest, accepting that a fragrance is good, shouldn't be contingent on personal biases. I'm all for mentioning things such as "I find that fragrance X smells rather dated, and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it as I'm only XX years old, but I think it's a well made scent etc......". It's fine to state personal biases in the review, just don't have it factor into the final assessment of the frag.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 2nd November 2009 at 11:29 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I think a frag should be judged by it's merits or lack of. You should then, like myself not purchase any scent that is not worth the price it is given by the manufacturer

Price shouldn't be considered when judging any scent.
    One should evaluate the scent itself, form a definitive opinion.
    If it's worthy of buying, Then and only then should price come into the equation.

A few of us remember the Andy Tauer LADDM saga...price does matter. Big time.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Oh I agree! On anything that can truly be left up to personal bias, such as whether a frag is "dated" as you say, I think should be left out of the final "grade" that the scent gets. What seperated the very good reviewers from those that aren't as good, is the ability to review a scent based on the basics, just the scent. I know some of the really great reviewers on here have given 5 stars to something that they detest, accepting that a fragrance is good, shouldn't be contingent on personal biases. I'm all for mentioning things such as "I find that fragrance X smells rather dated, and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it as I'm only XX years old, but I think it's a well made scent etc......". It's fine to state personal biases in the review, just don't have it factor into the final assessment of the frag.
    I'm not sure you understood the objection to your "fairness" criterion that I was making. In effect I was arguing that fairness is something that should not be taken into account when reviewing fragrances (the position that you seemingly argued for in post #57).
    Last edited by surreality; 3rd November 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant