Code of Conduct

Thread: Gardenia!!!

Smile Gardenia!!!

I'm searching the truest gardenia scent!Help me in this quest!Thank you!:-)!

Default Re: Gardenia!!!

Cheap & quick answer - Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Gardenia

$$$ options - Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia & Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia.

I prefer the YR in every way.

Basenotes Institution

I second EL PC Tuberose Gardenia !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

To me it is Monyette Paris. Too bad it did not work for me.
    Evenstar

Yves Rocher's Gardenia fragrance gets a ton of love, but it didn't work for me. It's been a while since I tried it, but it went a bit rubbery and weird on my skin. I'm probably in the minority there, as so many people swear by it. I love Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia - that one seems very true - and also Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, which is just gorgeous, although a blend that segues into tuberose. Another true gardenia I've tried is Michael Storer's Stephanie (thanks to Quarry for introducing me to this one!).

My personal benchmark for true smelling gardenia is the old discontinued Jungle Gardenia. I remember it from my childhood & teens in the south. It seemed exactly like a real gardenia blossom. The Fragrance Shop (thefragranceshop.com) has a dupe perfume oil called Jungle Gardenia Type, that is a pretty good representation of that one. Not all of their dupes are spot on, in my experience, but last time I tried their version of Jungle Gardenia I thought it was very nice.

Furthermore...just wanted to say that, for me, gardenia is a perfume of the night. A black, black starry night with silky air. That's how I like to smell gardenia.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 30th October 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Isabey's Gardenia is my ABsolute fave Gardenia scent

Penhaligon's do a Gardenia. I couldn't say how 'true' it is or isn't, however, as here in England we are not blessed with such tropical beauties, and I have never actually smelled one!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Penhaligon's Gardenia to me , is quite light in character but not completely a gardenia scent .
    Velvet Gardenia and I do not get on at all.
    Isabey Gardenia is a very good perfume but I only get wisps of gardenia from it. I actually am reminded of Poison by Dior .
    Kiehl's Gardenia is actually very good and long lasting but it's not really a very true gardenia.
    Ava Luxe Gardenia Musk - excellent gardenia !
    Jo Malone's Vintage Gardenia - a very pleasant gardenia ,delicious fragrance in total - strong, long lasting but it has cardamom in it.
    Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion - excellent fragance ,EDT doesn't last and it is more tuberose.
    Monyette Paris for me is just 'OK' - it's abit plasticky to me.
    I love Ajne's Fleur Blanche - it's a good rendition of gardenia but very expensive.
    Amarige by Givenchy is a strong 80s style gardenia with mimosa and musk- well worth a sniff- I like it and it lasts !
    But most of all E L Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia is fabulous - very true and long lasting . I really do appreciate it now,having tried so many others....

Ironically, I have never tried Yves Rocher's Pur Gardenia .
    Any thoughts re. Bond No.9 Saks 5th Ave for Her ?

How I would love for By Kilian to bring out a Gardenia soliflore ...............
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 31st October 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Wow, MysticKnot! You have really explored gardenias! A couple more to think about:

Kai is a fresh gardenia fragrance. I like it quite a bit!

Ormonde Jayne is just about to release a new fragrance called Tiare (tiare is Tahitian gardenia). I have high hopes for this one! Here are the notes listed on the OJ website:

Top: Mandarin, orange flower and sicilian lime
    Heart: Tiare, freesia, water lilies, jasmine, orris and ylang
    Base: Cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, moss and musk

Sounds nice to me!

You guys are amazing!!!!Thank you all so much!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Wow, MysticKnot! You have really explored gardenias! A couple more to think about:

Kai is a fresh gardenia fragrance. I like it quite a bit!

Ormonde Jayne is just about to release a new fragrance called Tiare (tiare is Tahitian gardenia). I have high hopes for this one! Here are the notes listed on the OJ website:

Top: Mandarin, orange flower and sicilian lime
    Heart: Tiare, freesia, water lilies, jasmine, orris and ylang
    Base: Cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, moss and musk

Sounds nice to me!
    Haunani - yes, I love love love gardenia so much !
    Kai - I have never tried but I must .....
    O J Tiare- this is one I am lemming - I also have high hopes for this one Haunani . Perhaps my sister in London, will be kind enough to get me this.( ) I do wonder about the citrus top notes though....

Maya- welcome to Basenotes -I forgot to say that because I got so excited about gardenia !

Not a soliflore but how about some Crystal Noir?

Did anyone mention Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aloha Tiare? There is also Floris London Gardenia if you can find it. Think it was d/c, but it still might be around. Perlier makes awesome Gardenia bath and body products.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Did anyone mention Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aloha Tiare? There is also Floris London Gardenia if you can find it. Think it was d/c, but it still might be around. Perlier makes awesome Gardenia bath and body products.
    CSP Ahola Tiare is very nice too- I think you can still get it from Sephora last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    How I would love for By Kilian to bring out a Gardenia soliflore ...............
    Swoon!

Welcome, Maya! :wave:

Blog Entries

My most impressive gardenia-inclusive scent that I've smelled so far has to be Guerlain Cruel Gardenia. Among tiare-based scents, I like Gucci by Gucci EDP, although there is so much more in that one, I can hardly think of it as being a floral, even. Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion is nice, but not a natural gardenia, either.

To me, the most realistic gardenia I've smelled has to be Michael Storer Stephanie. I can smell the flower, the plant, and the rich, moist earth it's growing in. And it's definitely not a shy scent, either!

Jungle Gardenia sounds fascinating! Way too bad it's discontinued, but I may look for that dupe. Thanks, lillybelle!

I was on my motorcycle one summer night and was blown away by some patch of flowers that sent a cloud of some amazing scent across the road. I couldn't tell for sure, but I blame gardenias for most of what I smelled!

Stéphanie sounds really good!I adore gardenia flowers!!!
    Thank you all again!You are all adorable!

Basenotes Institution

Redneck - Stephanie is another I must must must try - you make it sound so enticing !
    Is the Gucci EDP you are talking about the new one in the brown bottle ? I'm going to try that again...... as soon as I can as it's the most accessible right now. ** Aha- it's heart note is glorious tiare....... I will rush to smell it again ! Maybe I need to get past the top notes ....

Also there is Montale Intense Tiare ..........
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 2nd November 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Hello! Welcome Maya! Late to the gardenia party, but count me as another one who loves the gardenia. Trouble is, though, that sometimes it does not love me.

Many good ones have already been mentioned...may I throw in my 2 cents on a few that haven't been mentioned?

I like my mini of Marc Jacobs. I believe that it is a parfum, as the EDP "purse spray" does not smell as lovely. Very pretty & easy to wear gardenia and other white flowers...

Dear beachroses already mentioned the one by Perlier - it's part of their Elariia line. I got a set from HSN (yes, really!) and have repurchased. The postings on the HSN site indicate that it's been reformulated (and not for the better), which would be quite the disappointment. Note that I've only seen it as body care products, not as an EDP or EDT.

And - some like it but it made me feel queasy - the newish Annick Goutal (Matin d'Orage) is a gardenia fragrance. I also did not care for what came out of the tester bottle of Trish McEvoy's Gardenia Musk (yes, yes, I know that the tester strip can't really tell you what we want to know about a fragrance, but if it bothers me on paper -- I don't see how it'll get "better" on my carcass). Again, though, you may have the chemistry that works with either (or both!)

And one of these days, I think I'd really like to try the DSH gardenia fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

RainDrop Sparkle / K - of course- Annick Goutal's Matin D'Orage is beautiful too and good old Marc Jacobs.
    Essence by Marc Jacobs is very good gardenia too- smells the same as Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto but much cheaper. Essence- artistic impression of gardenia in a good way . I've not tried Trish McEvoy's Gardenia Musk .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th November 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spelt Nasomatto really really wrong :D

Mysticknot! I love your list of gardenia scents (above). Plus all the good suggestions from Haunani and others...I haven't tried Essence yet - should do so.

The real thing (gardenia, that is) is just so pretty...brings a smile to my face with the heavenly scent and also some cherished memories. My parents' house -- in our front yard -- were a row of gardenia bushes...when they are in full bloom- happy sigh- I could stand there and sniff all day.

One thing I wondered about...do you all think that the tuberose and gardenia notes are commonly used together for some scientific or technical (that is, perfumery-based technology) reason?

Basenotes Institution

Re. tuberose and gardenia together........I don't know but maybe other Basenoters will know. To me, they just compliment each other well .
    Thanks K - for liking my list of gardenia- you can never have too much gardenia !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th November 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Anyone ever smell Elizabeth Taylor's Gardenia?
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Another to try !
    Also Jungle Gardenia- I was tempted when I saw a bottle of extrait of Jungle Gardenia on Ebay ,sealed - but I didn't bite because it was over $100 or so ....
    Also Chanel Gardenia is one I must try sooner or later though I have heard it is really not much like gardenia but more a scent representing flowers of a 'garden' .

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Also Jungle Gardenia- I was tempted when I saw a bottle of extrait of Jungle Gardenia on Ebay ,sealed - but I didn't bite because it was over $100 or so ....
    Also Chanel Gardenia is one I must try sooner or later though I have heard it is really not much like gardenia but more a scent representing flowers of a 'garden' .
    I thought I saw the Jungle Gardenia somewhere so I checked...it's listed at the Vermont Country Store. Not a $100 but maybe more than one would want to pay for a blind buy...I also seem to recall from past postings or maybe a PM --- that it's not the same thing as what was originally issued back in the day? Not sure though (and I am not familiar with the original).

I seem to recall that Chanel Gardenia smelled a little like Poison ....

And yes, buyer beware, mucho evidence that the Jungle Gardenia sold by the VCS is not in keeping with the Tuvache original.

Basenotes Institution

I seem to recall that Chanel Gardenia smelled a little like Poison ....

And yes, buyer beware, mucho evidence that the Jungle Gardenia sold by the VCS is not in keeping with the Tuvache original.
    Thanks for the info Soirdelune !
    It's funny because Isabey Gardenia smells somewhat like Poison too !

Added.. I am a fool because I am sure I tested Chanel Gardenia at Heathrow Terminal 3 's Chanel boutique but I can't for the life of me, remember what it was like. I even have the tester strip at home . I did test a lot at Terminal three so I probably was nose fatigued ( as usual ! )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th November 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Red face Re: Gardenia!!!

I still adore Chanel's Gardenia, just got the 200 ml but agree with Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, also Marc Jacobs and you can't beat Isabey Gardenia

Yes, I've tried it.
    I don't like it all.
    There are many gardenias growing in my yard and nearby , so I know just what it is I like about the actual flower, and ET's Gardenia does not capture it.

ET has strong buttery note that doesn't fit .

Michael Storer's Stephanie captures the gardenia-ness of gardenia for me (including the the huge sillage of the flower).

I haven't tried all the wonderful suggestions made on this thread--so I can't compare it. Storer is a bit pricey so it is definitely worth checking out some of the better deals.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 20th November 2009 at 05:33 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/