Code of Conduct

Thumbs up ZINO: Warrior Prince

Brief Zino advert, with even briefer nudity, aka NSFW

Zino has been getting some more love here recently, presumably because certain parts of the world are edging towards the cooler months of their calendars.

The herbal-citrus-lavender opening is appropriately proud without being exceptionally loud. Other people report a rosewood/rose heart note does not play prominently on my skin, but the jasmine and muguet (I know, right?!) happily do. A comfortable, substantial vanilla-woody drydown tinted with patchouli eases itself into happy oblivion over the next few hours.

I can imagine a number of different ways in which this fragrance could have gone horribly wrong, most involving either the citrus/lavender topnotes or the lily-of-the-valley surprise heart note. Whoever did this got it right. Zino is one of the few fragrances I have encountered that is never inappropriate whilst still insisting upon depth and complexity. Pound-for-pound the best fragrance I've met. Brilliant.

Who else is lawless when it comes to Zino?

P.S. Has this been discontinued? I am kind of hoping that was just a nightmare but I am not sure. Backup bottles were in the offing anyway...
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 1st November 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Discontinued?

Default Re: ZINO: Warrior Prince

Hey! Thanks for the thread. Thanks for the clip, very nice. Maby I'm an idiot of advertising, but it captures my mental image of Zino very well. Have to wear it soon again to check how I used to feel about it...

On a sidenote: How daring has such a commercial been, back then in the 80's?

Blog Entries

bOObs!!!

Actually, truth be told, the ad was so artfully done that it took a moment for me to stop and wonder where they showed that on tv.

I've never smelled Zino, but it sounds interesting. A levender-topped fougere with rosewood, rose, and lily? Sounds nice, in a classic way.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Zino is my all-time fave. Perhaps my Holy Grail.

I don't know if it has been discontinued. The fear of this, though, is what started me looking into alternatives should it be the case. So far, though, nothing comes close. I did go a few years without it when it disappeared from stores.

It's just beautiful on me.

Zino will remain a standard value in my fragrance life and will maybe even become a "steady member" of my wardrobe. There is something about its woody spiciness and its strong, yet distinguished masculinity that suits my taste. Lets hope it will be around for many years and will celebrate may jubilees of its release year.

Cool Re: ZINO: Warrior Prince

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7Hu5-BIp0"]YouTube - Zino Davidoff Commercial[/ame]

Uncanny how the ad captures my morning routine on the days Zino chooses me...

So does it really smell similar to Bois 1920 Extreme?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Uncanny how the ad captures my morning routine on the days Zino chooses me...
    You have the oppurtinity to give proof of that in the member-pictures-section (off-topic-boards)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Hey! Thanks for the thread. Thanks for the clip, very nice. Maby I'm an idiot of advertising, but it captures my mental image of Zino very well. Have to wear it soon again to check how I used to feel about it...

On a sidenote: How daring has such a commercial been, back then in the 80's?
    That ad spot is from the 90's when Lancaster at that tried to lanch it in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    ........Whoever did this got it right........
    It was made by Michel Almairac and Pierre Bourdon.

Great fragrance (woody oriental). It was made six years before Heritage, and I prefer Zino by about the same distance. It gets a little lactonic at times, but the woody amber which skyrockets in Heritage, tends to stay in control with Zino. It really is a masterpiece of sorts. Making a rich oriental that is somewhat consistently wearable is quite a feat.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd November 2009 at 03:16 AM.

I am very pleased to see this thread on the MFD board I just got a bottle of Zino Davidoff and am really pleased with it. I had been on and off with deciding to buy this fragrance the last few months and finally pressed the trigger on getting a bottle. Boy, am I glad I did.

Zino is bold, but not overly intrusive. It has character to me, which is something I cannot say for alot of fragrances ( whatever "category" they may be). I love how it is evolving as well, which is a nice change of pace for me. The rose...I believe that is a rose note I smell...never makes me uncomfortable. This fragrance is too masculine to allow that to happen ( not that I dislike feminine fragrances...I am crazy for Dior Homme ).

As far as the ad, isn't that just like a hundred other ad's out there ? Not really any nudity, not that I care. To me, because Zino Davidoff is dark, I would have chosen a different type of photograph, but then again I am not in the business of "cookie cutter" perfume advertisments , so naturally I would have different taste in that matter.

My only gripe with Zino is the bottle. First, the bottle in the photo ad above looks a different color than mine. The cap seems more wide, but shorter as well. Just to add, I feel the physical bottle I got seems kinda cheap. Moreso the "cap". The bottle in the Basenotes Directory looks MUCH cooler. Is that cap wood as well ? Either way, the old bottle seems way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    My only gripe with Zino is the bottle. First, the bottle in the photo ad above looks a different color than mine. The cap seems more wide, but shorter as well. Just to add, I feel the physical bottle I got seems kinda cheap. Moreso the "cap". The bottle in the Basenotes Directory looks MUCH cooler. Is that cap wood as well ? Either way, the old bottle seems way better.
    this happened with cool water as well. My vintage bottle had a much thicker cap made of better materials. The newer one is a cheap, thin piece of plastic.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

It gets a little lactonic at times, but the woody amber which skyrockets in Heritage, tends to stay in control with Zino. It really is a masterpiece of sorts. Making a rich oriental that is somewhat consistently wearable is quite a feat.
    I recall the first time I encountered Zino, it was on a business guy who was sitting at my bar. His cologne smelled familiar and there was nobody else at the bar, so it wasn't all that awkward asking him what he was wearing. I was SURE that he was wearing B*Men-- because I picked up something lactonic in it, specifically Methyl Laitone, which can smell like the milky/plastic/green notes in B*Men.

He told me he was wearing Zino, to which I complimented him. Some people get really uncomfortable and clam up when you remark on their fragrance, but this guy was really appreciative and open--and we wound up talking colognes for a good 15 minutes. The guy definitely had good taste.

I always meant to get a bottle of Zino, and this thread reminds me that I need to do that one of these days.

Yes! This is a beautifully done frag at any price, a reminder that you don't have to be wealthy to enjoy many of the best perfumes, and it's good to see it getting some attention.

Cool Re: ZINO: Warrior Prince

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Great fragrance (woody oriental). It was made six years before Heritage, and I prefer Zino by about the same distance. It gets a little lactonic at times, but the woody amber which skyrockets in Heritage, tends to stay in control with Zino. It really is a masterpiece of sorts. Making a rich oriental that is somewhat consistently wearable is quite a feat.
    Thanks for posting that. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who thought Heritage and Zino were similar, that Zino was far superior and that since Zino was created first Heritage must have ripped off---um, was inspired by Zino.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.