Code of Conduct

Default Scents that smell like 1) Plywood / lumber at Home Depot, 2) Pine Christmas tree sap

Hi,

I'm looking for two scents.

First, I'd like something that smells like plywood and lumber, the kind of smell you might find in the lumber aisles at Home Depot or in a home-made fort or an attic built from wood. Sure, maybe a little musty even, not fresh-cut. Fairly dry. Those smells remind me of my youth. I don't want just a "woody" scent, I want an authentic scent that will trigger memories.

There have been similar threads before and I've seen Hinoki by CdG mentioned, Sequoia, D.S. and Durga New England Pine, Serge Lutens Chene. I'm guessing Hinoki may be what I'm looking for, any opinions?

Second, I'm looking for something that smells like pine needles & sap from a Christmas tree. The scent you might get when you go under the tree to water it, the scent that makes me think Christmas. Pine, spruce, fir. Again, I don't want a "piney" scent but one that is authentic to the smell of a real Christmas tree. No offense to anyone who doesn't celebrate.

I know Polo has some pine needle notes but it dries down differently and again I'm not really looking for a "pine needley" scent, I would like something more pure & authentic to the pine sap scent.

Thanks

Default Re: Scents that smell like 1) Plywood / lumber at Home Depot, 2) Pine Christmas tree

Hey! You mentioned the two I was going to mention in Hinoki and Chene. Try those, I'm pretty sure they'll satisfy what you're looking for.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Scents that smell like 1) Plywood / lumber at Home Depot, 2) Pine Christmas tree

+1 on the Hinoki!

In terms of the Christmas Tree request. I'd say L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe and Mazzolari (their namesake) would be two to try. Also, Demeter Christmas Tree is (obviously) one to try and it is IMHO one of their better offerings. if you want Christmas Tree pure and simple, the Demeter is the one to go with.

If you want your plywood planks with some fig try Salvatore Ferragamo PH. It can be found for an excellent price all over the place online.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 2nd November 2009 at 01:14 AM.

plywood = d2squared he wood

Quote Originally Posted by hammersj View Post
    Second, I'm looking for something that smells like pine needles & sap from a Christmas tree.
    Polo Explorer gives me this vibe.

Tam Dao smells like lumber to me.

Hermes Rocabar?

Art of Shaving Sandalwood has a strong fir tree note.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Terre d'Hermes Parfum, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (vintage), Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

When I tried Encre Noire it just smelled like plywood to me. Haven't tried it since because of it.

Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    Versace Green Jeans
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress

Off-Scenter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 28th November 2009 at 03:42 AM.

MPG Santal Noble.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Well.... sooner or later I would come across this thread. Welcome, I'm always glad to see pine-oriented questions. And props to you for having such good taste
    For the wood-shop vibe, Hinoki definitely is the way to go.
    For the Christmas-tree, sap, exhilarating feeling... I'm still looking. I haven't found anything with that "zing" factor. It may be a Holy Grail.
    Fou D'Absinthe is a lovely warm pine scent, but it is more mellow than what you are seeking.
    Maybe Zagorsk (Comme des Garcons Incense line). Maybe.
    I'll invite you to check out the Coneheads group here at Basenotes. There is lots of pine and resin-oriented discussion there. And I'll keep thinking on this issue.
    Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

This one is old probably came out in 1950s, my grandpa wore this one called Pino Silvestre. Another one would be Acqua Di Selva.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here because I've said it before, but Cypres-Musc by Creed, to me, is the woodiest smelling fragrance I've ever smelled. To me, it literally smells like I'm standing in a saw mill.

As for Xmas tree scents, I don't think I can help you there.
    Last edited by shamu1; 2nd November 2009 at 02:45 AM.

+ Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles

Celine Fever has a real "bare" wood quality to it. I don't work with wood, so I can't really say exactly what it is closest to, though.

Thanks for the responses so far, I've got plenty of reviews to peruse & samples to order ahead of me.

For the Christmas pine, possibly Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice:
    Top Notes: Fir Trees
    Middle Notes: Scotch Pine, Balsam
    Base Notes: Somalian Incense, Sugar and Vanilla.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Try CdG Jaisalmer. To me it smells like pine wood and nothing else.

Profumo.it Hindu Kush.

Seconding the Zagorsk!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Etro Mahogany is pure essence of lumbermill.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Check out Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme. Very "lumber-y", not too expensive, and comes in an awesome bottle too.

Lacoste Land

Another vote for Tam Dao for the lumber. Also, Gucci PH if you don't mind some incense thrown in. Tam Dao is like wet, fresh cut lumber, and Gucci PH is lumber in a sauna.

I don't know about the pine sap...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Try Dirty English for the lumber/treefort smell you're looking for- to me this scent reminds you of sawing through an old pine floorboard I love it

+1 on fou d'absinthe for the pine sap rec
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

+1 on the "Tumulte"

I also thought of Tumulte by Christian Lacroix.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    In terms of the Christmas Tree request...
    Demeter Christmas Tree is (obviously) one to try and it is IMHO one of their better offerings. if you want Christmas Tree pure and simple, the Demeter is the one to go with.
    I haven't had much success with the Demeter scents I've tried. Many seem shallow and sweetly-thin. I haven't tried Christmas Tree. I have Frasier Fir -- perhaps my bottle is dodgy but all I get is a vague, rubbery smell. I also have Cypress, which is interesting -- resinous, sappy, a bit like turpentine, medicinal. It is not bad.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    For the Christmas pine, possibly Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice:
    Top Notes: Fir Trees
    Middle Notes: Scotch Pine, Balsam
    Base Notes: Somalian Incense, Sugar and Vanilla.
    +1
    It really smells like Christmas
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I haven't had much success with the Demeter scents I've tried. Many seem shallow and sweetly-thin. I haven't tried Christmas Tree. I have Frasier Fir -- perhaps my bottle is dodgy but all I get is a vague, rubbery smell. I also have Cypress, which is interesting -- resinous, sappy, a bit like turpentine, medicinal. It is not bad.
    I'm not a big fan either but some are very nice, inc. Christmas Tree & a couple of the tobacco ones.

Blog Entries

I noticed a new Smell Bent perfume oil (limited edition) at beautycafe.com, called Père Noel Coward:

Père Noel Coward
    Sweet immortelle, atlas cedar, balsam fir and pinõn sap.

Limited Holiday Release.

http://beautycafe.com/smell_bent.htm

I echo the endorsement of both Hinoki and Tam Dao.

Another very woody, lumbery scent is Let Me Play the Lion by LesNez. Not quite as straightforward wood as Hinoki or Tam Dao but I like it far better than both of them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I ordered samples of fragrances that were mentioned more than once, for starters, from The Perfumed Court & LuckyScent: Hinoki, Tam Dao, Fille de Aguilles, Fou d'Absinthe, Zagorsk, Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice.

I'll start with these and go from there.

I couldn't find Tumulte pour Homme samples.
    Last edited by hammersj; 9th November 2009 at 05:35 AM.

Perhaps a layering of L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe for the pine and Dzing! for the cardboard/plywood?
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I'd have to 2nd Hinoki, Hermes Rocabar (old version more natural smelling), and possibly the Polo variants, I believe explorer and double black?