Code of Conduct

Default I've Never Been to Sephora...

so I have no idea what they carry.

Last night I went to see a movie with a friend at a local mall and noted that there was a new one, but it was closed.

For those who know the store, what would you look for? What "lines" to they carry?

My preference is for heavier, richer, non-citrus scents.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 2nd November 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: I've Never Been to Sephora...

They carry most mainstream designer lines (Gucci, CK, Tom Ford, Kenzo, D&G, Armani, Polo, Guerlain, Chanel, etc.), though I have found that different locations carry different scents (I've only been in one or two that carry Gucci Envy and Guerlain Herba Fresca, for example). Their website shows most of what they carry (also, items that are only available online are noted as such).
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

They are predominantly department store designer brands. The upside is they have a huge selection.
    Sometimes they carry Guerlain- sometimes not. Some good stuff. Very few, if any, of the niche houses many in BN favor.

If you can grab a clerk, they may be able to point you in a direction. But better would be to go their website, then cross reference available frags with the REVIEWS in here.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd November 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Sur la Plage

It's a good place to go to test fragrances without being bothered/hassled. Plus they will give you samples of pretty much anything you ask for - just don't be too greedy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

They have most designer/mainstream fragrances with 0 niche. Here are a few issues which were not covered by the other members:

I've found Lutens in certain larger locations, but they general carry designer. Less frequently I've spotted Comptior Sud Pacifique, and some Demeter novelties. They're pretty good about making samples in my experience.

I know this was addressed, but how are they about giving out samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    I know this was addressed, but how are they about giving out samples?
    Ask them and they'll make samples for you.

BTW, very few niche scents - Gendarme is one I recall

And here's a secret. Check out the women's side too. The women's side is SO much larger than the men's and they seem to have placed quite a few traditionally unisex frags on that side. Don't make the mistake I did, and wait so long before venturing over there.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

There are quite a few of them here in NY, and they close late, (around Midnight) and they are always full. They have many Classics, mostly designer. They don't mind you trying any Frag, and they will give you small samples. It's becoming an Institution here

They also carry the Fresh scents in with the skin-care products - don't leave without sniffing Cannabis Santal!

They usually decant 3 colognes for me whenever I go. It's mainly newish designer stuff.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    And here's a secret. Check out the women's side too. The women's side is SO much larger than the men's and they seem to have placed quite a few traditionally unisex frags on that side. Don't make the mistake I did, and wait so long before venturing over there.
    This is true! They usually keep Bulgari Black (one of my favorites that they carry) over there.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Quote Originally Posted by curtis.w View Post
    This is true! They usually keep Bulgari Black (one of my favorites that they carry) over there.
    That's odd...I've never thought of that as a feminine scent at all. I tried it when it first came out.

I've been, and it's usually way too antiseptic for me to stay in there for longer than four and half minutes. Sort of a ridiculous place really. It feels cheap. The great perfume stores are mostly gone. The Perfume House in Portland, Oregon is superb (over 1500 fragrances, many niche), although they could use some more dynamic characters working in there.

If you're into perfume, it's sort of mandatory to go to Paris. It's like being into Cuban cigars and trying to get a feel for it in the US. Good luck. Just another reason to go to Europe.