Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Vintage Mitsouko

Thanks to my dear friend, kumquat, I am wearing Vintage Mitsouko tonight. It doesn't get any better than this. Everyone should experience Vintage Mitsouko before they pass from this life.There are not enough words to describe this fragrance journey back in time. Oak Moss, wonderful Oak Moss. IFRA eat your heart out. Viva Mitsouko!
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 2nd November 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vintage Mitsouko

LOL - I was under the impression as the resident Mitsouko fan, that you'd already smelled vintage Mitsouko. Isn't it wonderful? What formula did you smell?

It's perhaps the moss green and harshest chypre I own. Every time I wear it I am reminded of how 'butch' it is.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd November 2009 at 11:56 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

It's a paragon of blending, and it possesses as much quality and character as most everything else combined.

I used to think of Patou pour Homme as the masculine equivalent, but over time I see that it's vintage Yatagan that occupies that slot. It might not be quite as smooth as Mitsouko, but it's not far away, and the structure ("form" is probably a better word) is remarkably similar. Patou pour Homme also has a similar form.

I suggest trying the vintage parfum, if you haven't. The PDT is outrageous as well (it's some strong sh*t). The EDT is excellent, but the difference between it and the stronger concentrations is fairly profound.

The new stuff is good, but not as memorable.

Post Thanks / Like

I never *fully* understood poor old Mitsy until I snagged a vintage bottle of the extrait on ebay. I've been smitten ever since...as much as I love all of my pretties, this will always be near the top of my list at any given point.

I find the new EDT commendable...I tried the new (or newish) extrait and it was awful. Not sure what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Thanks to my dear friend, kumquat, I am wearing Vintage Mitsouko tonight. It doesn't get any better than this. Everyone should experience Vintage Mitsouko before they pass from this life.There are not enough words to describe this fragrance journey back in time. Oak Moss, wonderful Oak Moss. IFRA eat your heart out. Viva Mitsouko!
    Wow, Nick! Good for you! How would you compare it with the modern?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Vintage Mitsouko

mikeperez23: Yes, Mike it is a bit harsh but, wonderful presence. Chyrpes will never be the same without Oak Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL - I was under the impression as the resident Mitsouko fan, that you'd already smelled vintage Mitsouko. Isn't it wonderful? What formula did you smell?

It's perhaps the moss green and harshest chypre I own. Every time I wear it I am reminded of how 'butch' it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Primrose:

It is like mikeperez23 described it; a little harsher whereas the new is smoother likely because there is less Oak Moss in the new formula but, therefore more chyrpe like in the traditional sense. When Mitsouko first came on the market it must have been very avant-garde.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Wow, Nick! Good for you! How would you compare it with the modern?

I have some 1980's era EdT and some 80s or 90's extrait....and OH MY LORD this stuff is gorgeous. The parfum is delectable, I literally sit there snorting at my wrist like a glue sniffer when I wear it.

Truly a masterpiece. It smells so outrageously womanly and feminine on me, and yet it makes perfect sense to me that a secure and confident man would be totally at home in Mitsouko!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

mikeperez23: Yes, Mike it is a bit harsh but, wonderful presence. Chyrpes will never be the same without Oak Moss.
    So...are you smelling the vintage parfum N_Tesla?

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to whip out the good stuff today, thanks to this thread N_Tesla. Thanks!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Lord...there is nothing better than vintage Mitsouko . I love love love vintage Mitsouko .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Believe it or not, the first version I smelled of Mitsouko was 1950's? parfum. I blind bought a large 1oz bottle off of ebay not too long ago and is unbelievably gorgeous. I was in utter shock the first time I smelt it because it resembled vintage Femme Rochas, probably due to the iris and oakmoss. I was hesitant to try the new EDP, but when I finally did over a year ago, I was in bliss. I dare say that I like it even more than the vintage...I know...BLASPHEMY!!! I think the major difference between the vintage and the modern are the topnotes. They are like two completely different fragrances with the new one being more bread-soaked peach syrupy-like and the vintage being a classic, buttery chypre. It is only when these two reach the deep heart notes, do I see a distinct similarity to the pair. Both versions are masterpieces and I'm gonna wear both tonight

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mikeperez23: What I have is labeled Vintage Parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So...are you smelling the vintage parfum N_Tesla?

You got me! I'm in Miss Mitzy today, my clothes sprayed with my vintage EdT and a dab of my vintage parfum in the pulse points. Fantastic.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This sample is from an Ebay find. It is in the pagoda top bottle, a dark golden-tea color. It is almost like a fine wine in it's rich, deep fermented juice of peach & oak moss. The aroma is intoxicating. One doesn't just wear it, you drink it in. I like that, Nickola, "IFRA - Eat your hearts out!"
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd November 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is hard for me to read as a non-owner of any vintage Guerlain. I've been scanning Ebay diligently, but basically I'm torn between going with a vintage formulation EDC or a modern-ish EDP. Price points seem about the same.

I'm simply not willing to drop $200 on a vintage parfum....yet. Maybe if I like one of the other formulations enough.

Anyhow...vintage EDC or modern/semi-modern EDP?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd November 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NO, no. Don't get discouraged. I didn't pay much maybe $40? I don't recall but it wasn't anything like current prices for parfum which is still being made fresh & is also wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I never *fully* understood poor old Mitsy until I snagged a vintage bottle of the extrait on ebay. I've been smitten ever since...as much as I love all of my pretties, this will always be near the top of my list at any given point.

I find the new EDT commendable...I tried the new (or newish) extrait and it was awful. Not sure what happened there.

I'm afraid I have still not been able to understand or find the "Mitsy Luv" . ... I've only yet tried the recent EDT .... and also some vintage EDT . ... But still ~ Nope, unfortunately it always just smells kinda odd (off??) to me (like stale spicy peanut cooking oil). ... And only after it gets to it's "drydown" (perhaps even only "late-drydown") do I then finally manage to start enjoying it. (But it's still just kinda "Meh" (*shrugs shoulders*)
    Now I don't know if this is just what my skin decides to "do with it", and which does not necessarily happen on other people's skin ??? ... Or if that is exactly how it's actually supposed to smell like, but I just happen not to like it much ???

Which is why I have been desperate to try some vintage Mitsouko. To see if perhaps this odd stale oily "peanut note" or accord is still, or not, part of the vintage formulation too ???
    (So ... Is there anybody here kind enough to be willing to help me find the "mitsouko luv" by enlightening me with the very tiniest of samples of their vintage "Mitsy jus"? I'm willing, of course, to reciprocate with anything from my 'drobe (Double-fold if need be ? ... (Even if just a tiny sample of 0.5ml !!??)
    What, ... no one at all ??? )

And does anyone have a clue what exactly is the note or accord that is responsible for this ??? ...
    I know it's not the oakmoss, for I'm pretty sure I luv oakmoss usually (luved it in the vintage "Vol de Nuit" extrait, and others !) ...
    Or might it be the famous (C-14 aldehyde (lactone)) 'peach skin note" that could be responsible perhaps ??? ... Which I must admit has never actually ever smelled anything like "peach" or "peach skin" to my nose ??? ... Though the reason why I don't suspect it's the "peach-aldehyde", is because this note/accord I dislike happens more towards the "heart" of the fragrance, as opposed to the "top" (where I'm presuming the aldehydes are more apparent ??)
    So I'm thinking it's probably something else. (Though aldehydes can be kinda "oily" too, not so?)

So anyone got any helpful clues about this for me ??? ... For I really have been wondering about this. ... I'd really like to "get to the bottom of it". ... For otherwise I'm just always left puzzled by why I just can't seem to understand this classic frag that is luved by so many of you here !?
    (And while many fragrances I've disliked in the past, have "grown on me" and suddenly just "click" one day ... I really have tried extensively with Mitsouko (this is not just based on like a few cursory samplings) ... Of course, it's also just quite possible that with Mitsy, my nose will unfortunately just never quite "get it" ... and I'll always just never quite like it, no matter what !)

(Though the cynic in me also tends to think that there is way more luv for this fragrance, by many who would not have given it "the time of day" before, had it not been for Luca Turin's lauding and ecstatic luv of it. :brolly: ... Had he not professed it to be THE no.1 Fragrance ... would it really get quite the attention it now does ??? ...
    I'm convinced it would not get a tenth of the attention or luv !!! ... (Something a little along the lines of "The Emperor's New Clothes" happening here perhaps ??? )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 3rd November 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This thread is hard for me to read as a non-owner of any vintage Guerlain. I've been scanning Ebay diligently, but basically I'm torn between going with a vintage formulation EDC or a modern-ish EDP. Price points seem about the same.

I'm simply not willing to drop to $200 on a vintage parfum....yet. Maybe if I like one of the other formulations enough.

Anyhow...vintage EDC or modern/semi-modern EDP?
    LiveJazz, I am of the belief that when it comes to vintage Mitsouko, the EdC, EdT, EdP and parfum/extrait are very similar to each other. The biggest difference is, of course, the diffusion of the scent. But the scent profiles are very much alike.

When I first started out wearing vintage Guerlains, I started with Eau de Cologne formulations of all of them, and this seemed to make it easy for me to wrap my nose around those classic accords, so I'm going to recommend you do the same.

Mitsouko Eau de Cologne is very peach prominent, LiveJazz, so hopefully you're ok with fruity chypres. The only other chypre I've smelled that is more fruity is Chypre by Coty.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can be just a matter of taste, I think. Some people never acquire a taste for coffee, either. My sister just hates it. I love it. She only drinks tea. I would be bereft if I had to give up coffee. She never smoked cigarettes, ever. I had a hard time giving them up.

Mitsouko is a breakthrough frag because it is complex. It is tangy. It mixes sweetness of fruit, an unusual fruit, unused before in perfume (at least not as the featured top-note) and the earthy deep woods and tangy greens. It was essentially the first chypre after Coty Chypre. So it combined the fruit of the peach with the green chypre.

I just 'got it' one day when I sprayed it on in EDP. It suddenly hit me how good this frag is. I think you just try it sometimes and either it grabs you or it doesn't. Another gateway frag to the secret world of chypre appreciation is Miss Dior. There are others & I have been on threads about this a bunch of times so I know there is a lot of stuff out there on it!
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd November 2009 at 02:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I didn't know Chypre was fruity?? I always read it was very similar to Chanel PM?

Am I the only one that doesn't get much peach in Mitsouko?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I happen to have a bottle of vintage Coty Chypre. I would call it 'green' not particularly fruity. Moss is the main feature, I would say.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd November 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ I didn't know Chypre was fruity?? I always read it was very similar to Chanel PM?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I happen to have a bottle of vintage Coty Chypre. I would call it 'green' not particularly fruity. Moss is the main feature, I would say.
    I have a bottle of the Eau de Parfum. Very fruity, indeed.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I wish Coty would hurry up and release all those re-editions of their classics that Turin speaks about.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you wearing a newer version? After doing some research on an older BN thread...

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192673

...it sounds like the modern versions are dry, less fruity and more woody. The older the version, the more pronounced the peachy note and the sweeter the fragrance overall.

Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd November 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Are you wearing a newer version? After doing some research on an older BN thread...

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192673

...it sounds like the modern versions are dry, less fruity and more woody. The older the version, the more pronounced the peachy note and the sweeter the fragrance overall.

Can anyone confirm?
    No, I have multiple bottles of the older formulation (one of them, that is). I can tell there's a fruity-ness in there, but if no one had ever mentioned the word peach to me, I have not have even noticed it at all.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I have multiple bottles of the older formulation (one of them, that is). I can tell there's a fruity-ness in there, but if no one had ever mentioned the word peach to me, I have not have even noticed it at all.
    It's miles away from the peach-scented Bath & Body Works style of notes, that's for sure. It smells less like peach nectar or wet fruit (in your mouth) and more like a peach on the tree (the crisp fuzzy skin, the juice, the pit).

I notice the peach much more when the juice has been on my skin for a couple of hours and I catch a whiff of myself moving around. I cannot smell peach when I bury my nose in my skin (which is all oakmoss) but rather moving all around me instead.

-- Jack Kerouac

I find the new version more woody too, but for me, it makes for a LESS dry, warmer and more luminous impression, while the old oakmoss composition feels more dry-cold-dark. I have to state here, that I enjoy the new version immensely.

Can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah!! I ascribe the major difference to oakmoss, too. Only it has the bitterness that the new , dark woodiness cannot come up to. My oldest vintage is from the sixties I suppose. It's in that real queensize round bottle (500 ml?) with the conic glass (!) stopper and round label en turquoise with 'EAU DE COLOGNE ' in big gold letters. Yes, that's what it was called 50 years ago, I believe. But this 'EDC' has tremendous longevity and I find the overall impression far superior to any of the Edps/Edts between the early eighties and late nineties. The 'restituted' perfume version (after Turins public criticism of the Guerlains) is very pleasant and soft, but also has that bitter fond lacking, and that matters a lot...

My bottle came without box, and 10% had been used up. I was afraid it might leak, so traveling back home I packed it into a simple box and tightly padded the flacon using a pair of woolen socks. Fortunately nothing leaked. Now those socks smell so heavenly that I may not wear them this winter at all....
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd November 2009 at 05:10 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest Mitsouko extrait is less spicy, woodier and contains more vetiver I suppose? It's lighter and brighter, a kind of Mitsouko Lgre...

I much prefer the darker, mossier, "real" Mitsouko.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the top notes do smell like peach, but it smells like how a peach smells, not how a peach tastes.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I think the top notes do smell like peach, but it smells like how a peach smells, not how a peach tastes.
    Ah, finally it all makes sense to me now. I was with Scent on the lack of a peach note until you mentioned it smells like a peach smells, not the way it tastes. That's exactly what I smell. I go crazy when people say it smells like peaches, because when I compare Mitsouko to something like Promesse de L'Aube or Peche Cardinal, I barely get any peach. Stupid peach. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think of it more as a natural ripe, juicy peach versus an artificially sweetened peach.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Another gateway frag to the secret world of chypre appreciation is Miss Dior.
    Gateway frag- what a great expression, Ms Kumquat