Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov 7, 2009 ★★★ SPICY

My SotD was Navegar from L'Artisan. For those who haven't tried it, it's a very natural-smelling aquatic/spice/wood fragrance. I found it really refreshing, different, sheer, and dry (but a juicy lime keeps it from being bone dry). I'm very drawn to it! I'm going to re-try Navegar on myself AND my husband next summer, when I think it will open up even more on the skin. Notes (from LuckyScent) include Red Pepper, Ginger, Lime, Absolute Rum, Black Pepper, Incense, Star Anise, Juniper, Cedar Wood, and Guaiac Wood.

My SotE is Ormonde Jayne Ta'if from a sample. I had forgotten how much I love this peppery, bewitching rose. I swear that the base is identical to that of OJ Woman, but Ta'if has a special lilt that I just love! For those who haven't tried it, here's a notes list: Pink Pepper, Saffron, Dates, White Peach, Taif Roses, Orange Blossom, Broom, Freesia, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine. Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk, and Vanilla Absolute.

Blog Entries

Tabac Blond
    The Caron accord is mainly carnation.
    I get spices and light tobacco on leather as the scent mellows.
    It's a perfect frag for a fall day.

Perfume Intelligence:
    Created by Ernest Daltroff, at that time the only feminine fragrance with tobacco notes.
    A dry chypre fragrance with top notes of orange blossom and lemon, heart notes of jasmine and tobacco,
    on base notes of cedar wood, amber, civet, benzoin and oak moss.
    Presented in a flacon designed by Flicie Vanpouille.
    Also in a flacon by Cristalleries de Baccarat, design #572
    Still in production (2005)
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th November 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I was so busy yesterday, I didn't participate in SnS day at all.

I'll make it up today, and report back later tonight - this is my FAVORITE category. Most of you know I'm a real sucker for cinnamon.

I think it'll be L' Eau by Diptyque, maybe some Witness by Bogart and later on tonight some Serge Noire by Serge Lutens.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Blog Entries

I missed posting yesterday, but was with you all in spirit, finally sampling Caron Poivre.

I was sooooo looking forward to this. I smelled it on vacation and almost bought it. I hunted for it at home and couldn't find it available for sniffing, and finally bought a sample, just to make sure. Sniffing the sample vial? Heavenly. Pepper and carnation. Wow.

Then, I tried it on my skin. 5 seconds in, a giant wall of powder enveloped my beloved carnation and all but obliterated the pepper. Quickly, the carnation suffocated, leaving a sad corpse of clove to sit there under all that powder.

I can easily see how, on someone who loves a good powdery frag, or someone with a penchant for barbershop classics, this could be a favorite, but it didn't work at all for me. I ended up dabbing a touch of J.A.R. Golconda on my other arm just to get my carnation fix...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Doing SnS Sat on a Monday since I was exploring scents at Anthropologie on Saturday.

I, too, like JM's Pomegranate Noir. I have a sample I sniff from time to time but never wear since DH declared it "furniture polish." Today, however, DH is dealing with stubborn septic problems at our rental, so he won't be around (nor qualified to frown upon my scent after he's been digging out and snaking pipes).

I often have a hard time with spicy scents as they can smell uncomfortably hot, but PM's balanced with enough deep, dark fruity sweetness to allow me to visit the world of spices. Exquisitely Me is right about the mulled wine accord. The next nearest scent in my mind would be Black Cashmere, which is less spicy and whose sweetness seems to emanate from wood/sap/vanilla rather than fruit.

Love those Italian columns, kumquat.

Thanks everybody for joining in our spicy get-together.
    Surrender to Denver Basenotes Meet-Up 💜 April 8 💙 Special guests Patty White & Dawn Spencer Hurwitz 💚 CLICK HERE
    Currently wearing: Natori by Josie Natori