Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Arrow All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov 7, 2009 ★★★ SPICY

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Oriental Feb. 2007~Animalic March 2007~Chypre April 2007~ Floral May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Oriental Feb. 2008~Animalic March 2008~Chypre April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand Jan. 2009 ~ Oriental Feb. 2009 ~ Animalic March 2009 ~ Chypre April 2009 ~ Floral May 2009 ~ Fruity June 2009 ~ Citrus July 2009 ~ Greens Aug. 2009 ~ Fresh Sept. 2009 ~ Opposite Gender Oct. 2009 ~ Amber

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Nov 7, 2009 ★★★ SPICY

Spicy, so anything with cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, black & pink pepper, coriander&/or cardamon would qualify. That would include Serge Lutens Rousse, all of the Opium incarnations, Bond No 9 Silver Factory, Eau d'Italie, Paestum Rose, Jo Malone's Nutmeg & Ginger and Pomegranate Noir, Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, Chanel Coco. I can so do this!

There are lots of fragrances that fit into this subgroup of orientals.
    Last edited by RHM; 3rd November 2009 at 12:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am SOOO wearing my Pomegranate Noir.....

God, I adore that stuff... never had anything smell so drinkable ... like mulled wine ... it would taste incredible!!

Lets see if I don't end up bathed in the stuff all week now.
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Ah, looking forward to a heavenly weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What wonderful choices there are! I may wear Black Cashmere or Sables or Idole or.......

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be here Sat, but will be wearing FM Noir Epices. Count me in!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Post Thanks / Like

I love spicy! Not sure what I'll wear, but I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like

As IF....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... Paestum Rose hasn't been out of the drawer in a while. That's a beaut.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in! Plenty of choices...Kingdom, Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum, Maharadjah, Sables, Coup de Fouet, George Sand to name a few.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooooh, how much am I looking forward to Spicy?? Nom nom nom.
    I will put my Gingerbread Whorehouse to one side for next month's gourmand SnS, but I would have been tempted by another Possets fragrance that Fabienne makes just for this time of the year: Halloween. It's a dry spicy scent with a mineral 'cold stone' base.

Or I could see exactly how many scents I can fit onto my skin at the same time and turn into a total spicefest! Yup - that's more likely!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will put Kingdom on the left and Coco on the right...

God, I oughta blush..
    I've got every scent you've named above.
    What a trollop I am.
    SIGH.

OK, I'm in the BIG CHAI_ aka Kenzo Elephant.
    If Dyptique's L'Eau is the BIG POTPOURRI [ no offense meant, SMN !], then this is clearly milky/ spicy/ wowness.

I may overdose the whole mess w/ Sables later...just because.
    [ Yup- Aziyade, Rousse, Arabie, all my ambers, etc.- my appyloggies !]

Honk happily, my friends...;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!!! I'll wear Kingdom!! It's been a while...

Post Thanks / Like

For today's S'n'S...the outrageous

I was gifted with a sample of this when I was an even newer Newie and fell rapturously in love. (See first paragraph.) FLOORED when I learned it was for guys.

Here're the notes: Top - Rum Absolute, Saffron, Bitter Orange Peel, Black Cumin. Middle - Doum Palm, Smoked Ebony, Sugar Cane Base Notes - Leather, Red Sandalwood. I mean - WHO could resist?

Floored again, after acquiring a little bit of background, to learn that this is Olivia's secret!!

On me the opening is all booze, citrus and saffron, but sweet and smoky. It quickly (sometimes all three or four layers of the pyramid arrive at once - what can I tell you?) eases into leathery sandalwoody warmth with that hint of skank (thank you, cumin) that I love...and hangs around for a long lo-o-o-o-o-ong time.

I am eternally indebted to Carlita for including this in the boatload of goodies she recently sent - and just in time for S'n'S!!

(I just GOTTA get organized and save up real clams for this juice.... RULLY!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Changed my mind... Wearing AL Kretek

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It will be either Idole de Lubin (great idea, Taolady!) or TDC Oriental Lounge (which I wore yesterday). Decisions, decisions. I've got it! I'll wear both! But at different times!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Laura Tonatto Safram for me today.

Post Thanks / Like

Sables. Yum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I especially love the myrrh in this one.

Here's a partial review from Now Smell This

Like Eau d'Italie's eponymous fragrance release of last year, Paestum Rose was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour and is designated as a unisex scent. The notes include davana, cinnamon, black pepper, pink pepper, coriander, black currant buds, Turkish rose, peony, incense, osmanthus, elemi, tea, papyrus, benzoin, myrrh, opoponax, vetiver, patchouli, cedar, wenge wood, amber and white musk.

Paestum Rose starts with a rush of peppery spices, but it quickly settles into a softer blend, with the black currant adding a touch of sweetness. The florals come on slowly, and like the spices, they are soft: the rose is the main player, but it is used here with a light touch, and the peony and osmanthus are but mere whispers. From the list of notes, one might expect a dark, heavy oriental base, but the reality is something quite different: a subtle mix of incense, resins and woods, more cloudy than dark, and not in the least heavy.
    Last edited by kumquat; 7th November 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It will be either Idole de Lubin (great idea, Taolady!) or TDC Oriental Lounge (which I wore yesterday). Decisions, decisions. I've got it! I'll wear both! But at different times!
    I eat my words! Wearing L'Eau par Kenzo Indigo Pour Homme. A spicy aquatic! This flanker is better than the original, IMO. It keeps the LEPK thing, but adds a spiciness which is not identical to, but not unlike, Bulgari Aqua PH. People who thought that LEPK was a bit weak should come back and try this one.

Still time for the others later...

I'm in Coco edp today....it's sunny, but bone-chilling, so this warm classic is just right for attacking the leaves in my yard!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

PdN's Maharadjah is my daytime choice for today's SnS. It's the weirdest woody oriental I've ever worn & I adore it. The opening of lavender & mint is just.....odd but comforting.
    Here are the notes from the perfumers own website:
    "Family: Floral Oriental Woody

Top notes: Fresh and aromatic notes: mint, coriander
    Heart: Floral and spicy notes: lavander, carnation, cinnamon
    Bottom notes: Woody vanilla year: Patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla"

The dry down is what I wait for.....just so beautiful. I haven't a clue what "Woody vanilla year" means. Obviously some quirk in the translation button.

Tonight's scent will be the classic Chanel Coco parfum over the same body cream.

Triple X luxury!

Post Thanks / Like

Invasion Barbare, bay-bayyyy! According to TPC, the notes are: grapefruit, bergamot, violet leaves, thyme, cardamon, lavender, ginger, cedarwood, bourbon vanilla, and musk.

This stuff is incredible -- seamlessly blended and so easy to wear.

I joined Therese in Sables..with Kiehl's 1942 Amber rollon.
    Mmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Eqyptian jasmine, Bulgarian rose, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, damask rose, frankincense, peach, tea leaves, white cedarwood, oakmoss

Gorgeousness! LOVE! Spicy and sweet, yet balanced between lightness and density, and just beautifully composed. Even if "oriental" fragrances are not your style, this one is hard not to love. I'm trying a sample from Luckyscent and I think it's full bottle worthy.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Black Cashmere today.

Black Cashmere is a lovely incense fragrance that is heavily spiced. Saffron is the standout to me, but at times I also smell a bit of clove and pepper. And of course, the smoldering incense, which is really the star. The spices are in a supporting, but important role, which is why I picked it for today. To me, it never gets too sweet, even with a touch of vanilla in the base.

This was a blind buy for me that has turned out so well.

Various sources list the notes as: Saffron, Masala Spices, Clove, Nutmeg, Pimento Berries, Rose, White Pepper, Broom Flower, Vanilla, Amber, Incense, Patchouli, African Wenge Wood, Bois de Miel, Labdanum.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 7th November 2009 at 08:57 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Caron Coup de Fouet, the "edt" of Poivre. Crackling with pepper as well as lots of clove (and clove pink), smoothing down into a powdery finish of opoponax and woods. A firecracker!

Notes: red pepper, black pepper, girofle, carnation, ylang ylang, opoponax, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Parfum d'Empire Aziyade

Notes: pomegranate, crystallized date, almond, orange and prune, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, Egyptian cumin, carob, frankincense, vanilla, Madagascar vanilla absolute, patchouli, musk, cistus (from luckyscent,com)

To my nose, Aziyade has a rough start--piercing leather and tea notes along with an almost sickening spiced and stewed fruit accord. The spice blend is actually quite nice, and contains cinnamon, clove and cardamom. The less appetizing part is a thinly sweet, waxy, inedible cherry and plum combination. Thankfully the fruit simmers down considerably within ten minutes, and this is when Aziyade takes a good turn. Think about the perfumer who created Ambre Russe in all its boozy, smoky, spicy, leathery, ambery glory, and what he might do if he wanted to make his own version of L'Artisan's Tea for Two. Here you'll find Aziyade. In fact, the middle and late drydown stages of Aziyade are far better than T42 because it does not turn to potpourri as T42 has a tendency to do. In contrast, Aziyade's drydown is a warm and pleasant light amber, lightly spiced and balsamic with labdanum and vanilla. Add to this some decent sillage, and you have a rich, spicy, smoky leather oriental which gives and gives.

Post Thanks / Like

I am wearing Noir Epices today. Very spicy indeed!

The notes are: Orange, Geranium, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Clove, Pepper, Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli (courtesy of peredepierre.com)

I love the orange, it is not too sweet nor it is bitter, although it smells to me like Seville Orange. The geranium gives it a little bit of sweetness in the heart. This perfume requires on me light application. Since usually I am not careful about that, I have felt overwhelmed in the past. Not today. It is just perfect, and also I think this is more of a cool weather perfume.
    Evenstar

My SotD was Navegar from L'Artisan. For those who haven't tried it, it's a very natural-smelling aquatic/spice/wood fragrance. I found it really refreshing, different, sheer, and dry (but a juicy lime keeps it from being bone dry). I'm very drawn to it! I'm going to re-try Navegar on myself AND my husband next summer, when I think it will open up even more on the skin. Notes (from LuckyScent) include Red Pepper, Ginger, Lime, Absolute Rum, Black Pepper, Incense, Star Anise, Juniper, Cedar Wood, and Guaiac Wood.

My SotE is Ormonde Jayne Ta'if from a sample. I had forgotten how much I love this peppery, bewitching rose. I swear that the base is identical to that of OJ Woman, but Ta'if has a special lilt that I just love! For those who haven't tried it, here's a notes list: Pink Pepper, Saffron, Dates, White Peach, Taif Roses, Orange Blossom, Broom, Freesia, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine. Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk, and Vanilla Absolute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tabac Blond
    The Caron accord is mainly carnation.
    I get spices and light tobacco on leather as the scent mellows.
    It's a perfect frag for a fall day.

Perfume Intelligence:
    Created by Ernest Daltroff, at that time the only feminine fragrance with tobacco notes.
    A dry chypre fragrance with top notes of orange blossom and lemon, heart notes of jasmine and tobacco,
    on base notes of cedar wood, amber, civet, benzoin and oak moss.
    Presented in a flacon designed by Flicie Vanpouille.
    Also in a flacon by Cristalleries de Baccarat, design #572
    Still in production (2005)
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th November 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so busy yesterday, I didn't participate in SnS day at all.

I'll make it up today, and report back later tonight - this is my FAVORITE category. Most of you know I'm a real sucker for cinnamon.

I think it'll be L' Eau by Diptyque, maybe some Witness by Bogart and later on tonight some Serge Noire by Serge Lutens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I missed posting yesterday, but was with you all in spirit, finally sampling Caron Poivre.

I was sooooo looking forward to this. I smelled it on vacation and almost bought it. I hunted for it at home and couldn't find it available for sniffing, and finally bought a sample, just to make sure. Sniffing the sample vial? Heavenly. Pepper and carnation. Wow.

Then, I tried it on my skin. 5 seconds in, a giant wall of powder enveloped my beloved carnation and all but obliterated the pepper. Quickly, the carnation suffocated, leaving a sad corpse of clove to sit there under all that powder.

I can easily see how, on someone who loves a good powdery frag, or someone with a penchant for barbershop classics, this could be a favorite, but it didn't work at all for me. I ended up dabbing a touch of J.A.R. Golconda on my other arm just to get my carnation fix...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Doing SnS Sat on a Monday since I was exploring scents at Anthropologie on Saturday.

I, too, like JM's Pomegranate Noir. I have a sample I sniff from time to time but never wear since DH declared it "furniture polish." Today, however, DH is dealing with stubborn septic problems at our rental, so he won't be around (nor qualified to frown upon my scent after he's been digging out and snaking pipes).

I often have a hard time with spicy scents as they can smell uncomfortably hot, but PM's balanced with enough deep, dark fruity sweetness to allow me to visit the world of spices. Exquisitely Me is right about the mulled wine accord. The next nearest scent in my mind would be Black Cashmere, which is less spicy and whose sweetness seems to emanate from wood/sap/vanilla rather than fruit.

Love those Italian columns, kumquat.

Thanks everybody for joining in our spicy get-together.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction