Code of Conduct

Default Amouage customer service: Thumbs up

Not too long ago I received a bottle of Amouage Reflection Man, which features a metal cap as seen below (random aside: I wish all of the new Amouage caps were metal, the plastic ones really seem to cheapen the presentation of other scents!)

Upon inspecting the bottle I found a strange tarnish like effect on the cap. It was gold in color and looked.. well, terrible. Of course this took the edge off of the excitement of receiving the most expensive perfume I've ever bought, and turned the whole thing into a bittersweet affair.

There is some kind of seal/lacquer covering the metal in the cap and I was able to, with significant elbow grease, rub/polish most of the tarnish away but there was still a cloudiness left where the tarnish had been. This cloudiness, when viewed at certain angles, created a sort of prismatic oil-puddle like effect.

On top of that, I had later noticed that there was a rather larger space between the F and L in the word Reflection than between the other letters. It just looks a bit 'off', as you can see below:

I'm not normally this anal about small details and would otherwise have let it go but I felt that having spent this much on a scent (and I say this not to boast, but just because for me this is a huge sum of money!), everything had to be just so.

I sent Amouage an email detailing where I had purchased it from and what I thought had caused the tarnish (I was guessing it was condensation.. the cap looked fine and polished elsewhere and had no signs of fingerprints or anything when I first examined it).

I sent along a few pictures with my email to illustrate the problem and Joyce from Amouage in London quickly replied offering apologies and a new cap to be sent overseas to me.

I still do have to wonder how the original cap made it through their quality control as ostensibly each bottle of Amouage is hand detailed, polished and inspected. Each bottle comes with a small card beneath it in the base of the stand with the handwritten name of the person who filled/inspected your bottle. A wonderful personal touch from a truly niche company. Regardless of how this one snuck through, it is nice knowing that even if or when a small slip up may occur in their QC you'll be promptly taken care of, no questions asked.

It's just so rare that any kind of interaction with customer service goes so easily and ends with such satisfaction that I felt I should mention it.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd November 2009 at 06:40 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Amouage customer service: Thumbs up

i have received similar kind of service from The Different Company. they were extremely courteous to me. They have sent a metal cercle and cap since mine had a dent..and also a sprayer (my rose poivree sprayer used to spray a stream and not a mist)...They very gladly sent across both the items with a nice note. What is worth noticing is that they sent it all the way to India.

Glad to know you got similar service from Amouage

That's good to hear, Jenson, and good to know as I'm going to eventually pick up some Un Parfum des Sens et Bois from them. I'd much rather give my money to a company with a face and some semblance of a heart than a company where you'd be lucky to get a copied and pasted form letter if emailing with a complaint!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

That's awesome. I got the same service with By Kilian. I was disappointed my Straight to Heaven was the kind with etched K rather than the plaque on the older packaging - they sent me a new box and a sample of the whole line. I love companies with good customer service.

Costes is not one of them. I had shower gel that turned rancid. I emailed a couple times about it and never got a response.

Miller Harris and Diptyque have also been incredible to interact with.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

It's great that they're making such an effort for you!

But...

I wonder how/if they will remedy the letter spacing issue.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd November 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    It's great that they're making such an effort for you!

But...

I wonder how/if they will remedy the letter spacing issue.
    Well I'm still awaiting the new cap so I'm not sure but my guess is that the machine rotating the cap during the etching process just had some kind of error. I've only got a Lyric cap for comparison but there are no oddities in the spacing of that one. Can anyone else chime in here - have you ever seen anything like that on any of your Amouage caps?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Got the new cap and the tarnish and letter spacing issue are nowhere to be seen! Yay!

They also included some nice carded samples and a handwritten note apologizing for the inconvenience.

Thank you Joyce and all at Amouage for making this right and going the extra mile.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!