Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Le Labo City Exclusives - Forget It!

I see that Luckyscent has a limited-time offering of the Le Labo city exclusives. Myself, I always wanted to know what that Tubereuse 40 (New York) was like.

But really. $260 for 50 ml. $400 for 100 ml. No way.

I have a limit, and it's not low or inflexible by any means. But I don't care how unfreakingbelieveable these are - Le Labo has just priced itself out of my consideration.

Default Re: Le Labo City Exclusives - Forget It!

Agreed. I'd love to try Aldehyde ##, but not for those prices.

I've sampled all of them. Gaiac 10 was the only one I had the slighest interest in. I might buy a bottle for $100.00 but $260.00 for mediocrity just doesn't work for me.

Sur la Plage

I have received several e-mails regarding this - and I have deleted them all. I have no interest whatsoever.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I felt real pain when I saw the prices on Luckyscent and I always wanted to try the Tuberose...nope ,no sale for me !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

In store, I think they will sell 15ml vial. But no idea on price. Crazy expensive probably.

I tried the LA exclusive Musc 25 and it didn't WOW me into paying that kind of change.

I do love Rose 31 and Vetyver 46, but not at the city exclusive prices I wouldn't.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th November 2009 at 12:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I'll wait til the expired bottles show up at Marshalls.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm wondering if Luckyscent not offering samples is at the request of Le Labo themselves? Who would really blind buy a 400$ bottle?

Hmmmm maybe they know the only way people will buy them is if they buy them blind... I haven't heard much good things about the exclusives except for the Vanilla one and the Gaiac one.

Embarrassingly, I ordered a stupid sample of Gaiac 10 for 10$ from TPC 'cuz I don't think I could live with myself if it turns out to be amazing and totally unavailable after the month is over.
    Sales thread here

I think if I really loved the scent, I would spend that sort of money for it. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $260 for a 50ml of Patchouli 24, though luckly it isn't priced like an exclusive.

Why are you embarassed and why do you think it's stupid? I think it's a lot smarter than buying one of them blind. READ: I did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Embarrassingly, I ordered a stupid sample of Gaiac 10 for 10$ from TPC 'cuz I don't think I could live with myself if it turns out to be amazing and totally unavailable after the month is over.

Blog Entries

I smelled all of these at Barneys, who thankfully had testers out.

Weird thing, if you order one, they won't make it there. To make it feel more special, they make them for you in some lab somewhere and mail it to you later. Odd.

The aldehyde smelled like a wannabe classic Chanel or Patou, feminine aldehydes and musk and flowers.

I really liked Poivre, like a cross between Piper Nigrum and Tam Dao. Good silage & longevity (I wore it out of the store), the sandalwood base smelled expensive.

The vanilla was really musky - like what you'd get if you layered Musc Ravageur and SDV.

I remember Gaiac being musky, too. But it clearly wasn't that memorable.

I tried Tuberose on vacation in New York and it was mostly citrus, with an oddly indolic base. An awkward mix of boring and gross.

And Musc was the only one that didn't smell musky at all.

I think the winners would be Poivre, Vanilla, and Aldehyde, if those sorts of thing float your boat, in terms of buying samples. None were worth the full-bottle money for me, though.
    Last edited by rogalal; 4th November 2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I think that it's unprecedented and rather crass that a company would take its unsold stock, and instead of having a warehouse sale with it, charge a premium to help them get rid of it and also make you wait for delivery. But again, this is Le Labo here, the kings of gimmicky marketing.
    Le Labo may have a few beauties in their line-up, but they lay their thin juice on rather thickly, IMHO.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th November 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I smelled all of these at Barneys, who thankfully had testers out.

Weird thing, if you order one, they won't make it there. To make it feel more special, they make them for you in some lab somewhere and mail it to you later. Odd.

I really liked Poivre, like a cross between Piper Nigrum and Tam Dao. Good silage & longevity (I wore it out of the store), the sandalwood base smelled expensive.

The reason they do not make them for you "on the spot", is because they do not actually have the ingredients there with them. Only the respective cities have the ingredients. ... It costs them much less, and is waaay less hassle, sending just a few of the testers of each city, than having to send all the ingredients that make up each scent from all the different cities. ...It makes perfect sense really ! (Not to have to go to all that trouble just for the short month !) ...
    So it's all really about making it as cost effective as possible for them, rather than anything about "making you feel special". I can guarantee it (LOL)

As for the Poivre I totally agree with you ! ... It is one of my favourites also. ... (Though still not quite enough to fork out that sort of cash. But if it was a non "exclusives", I would definitely go for it ! ).

As for their non-exclusives ... I really like their "Labdanum 18" ! And I really really like it ! But unfortunately, to my utter dismay, it has this horrid "laundry softener/hair spray white musk towards the "second half" and drydown that just totally spoils it for me. I hate that cheap-smelling white musk ! ... If I did buy it, I would have to walk around with an atomiser of the stuff, just so as to be able to repeatedly respray the moment the musk reared it's ugly head. ... I am sooo disappointed about this, for I really luv the start of it.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 4th November 2009 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'll wait til the expired bottles show up at Marshalls.

Aah ... but that is exactly why they don't bother sealing/bottling them till they have all but been payed for . ...

As for customers actually getting rid of any expired bottles. I very much doubt they would really take the expiry date that seriously !?? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    As for customers actually getting rid of any expired bottles. I very much doubt they would really take the expiry date that seriously !?? ...
    I had a bottle of Vetiver 46 that was over 2 years its expiry date. It smelt super. I also have an aged bottle of Rose 31 which I think smells better than when it was first mixed.

This is my response:
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Basenotes Institution

Le Labo never heard of 'a recession' going on ,obviously . And if I was going to buy perfume at $400 per bottle not including tax ... I'd go for Guerlain extrait.

Notwithstanding the opinions of most of us here, I feel Le Labo will still manage to sell their city exclusives in the miniscule numbers that they have set their targets for.

I agree that the price is certainly daunting.

Aah ... but that is exactly why they don't bother sealing/bottling them till they have all but been payed for . ...

It seems so strange they put an expiration date on there like that. I can't think of the reason for doing this other than to possibly convince some people to purchase a fresh bottle of their stuff every year?

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I had a bottle of Vetiver 46 that was over 2 years its expiry date. It smelt super. I also have an aged bottle of Rose 31 which I think smells better than when it was first mixed.
    Exactly what I suspected ! ... I mean there really is no reason why they shouldn't last the exact same length as any other scent (if properly looked after !).

It's merely just another gimmick ! ... They had to have something to fill in on their pharmaceutical labels.

Though I must admit I quite like their other gimmick of mixing them on the spot. ... I think it must be the closet-alchemist in me (LOL)

of the few that i have tested, Vanille 44 certainly deserves that price (imho)..

i simply love tht scent god damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    This is my response:
    Moi too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    It seems so strange they put an expiration date on there like that. I can't think of the reason for doing this other than to possibly convince some people to purchase a fresh bottle of their stuff every year?
    Exactly ! ... It's in the hope it will hurry your spritzing along a little. ...

But is there really a "muppet" out there who will actually really fall for this ... Fools if they do ! (LOL)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I agree with you guys about price being high and quality mediocre on these. I tried the Gaiac on my skin, and in ten minutes, all I could smell was black pepper!

I can also echo the opinion that some Guerlain extraits are worth that kind of price (typically $300 US or so per ounce [30 ml.]). But even Guerlain plays the "scarcity = astronomical prices" game: just recall their recent retro-formulation of Champs-Élysées extrait for a mere $14,000 US per bottle!

Of course, that was a masterpiece, and it did come in a beautiful crystal flacon placed in a morocco-bound, velvet-lined box...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    of the few that i have tested, Vanille 44 certainly deserves that price (imho)..

i simply love tht scent god damnit!

That is the one I'm most desperate to sample ... I do luv my vanilla. ... (Though I'm also kinda weary, as I would hate to luv it quite as much as you do. There is just no way I can afford it ).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I can also echo the opinion that some Guerlain extraits are worth that kind of price (typically $300 US or so per ounce [30 ml.]). But even Guerlain plays the "scarcity = astronomical prices" game: just recall their recent retro-formulation of Champs-Élysées extrait for a mere $14,000 US per bottle!

Of course, that was a masterpiece, and it did come in a beautiful crystal flacon placed in a morocco-bound, velvet-lined box...
    $14,000 a bottle....well that rules me out ... I'd have to stick to Jicky extrait from Ebay !

May whoever buys this enjoy their $5 worth of aromachemicals.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

Oi ... the poor perfumers need to get paid too ! ... Or do we just shut them in a cage, when they are finished with a scent, and feed them some carrots ??? (LOL) ... (I mean vegetables are cheap too, but you still need to pay for a "Cordon Bleu" plate of food ! )

But yes I do still agree with you that it is one hell of a mark-up !

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    lulz.

I'm still under the impression that they don't "mix" them when you buy them...perfume takes a while to age and macerate (or whatever the term is) before it's ready to sell. I also wouldn't trust sales associates not trained in mixing and preparing ingredients to be consistent without expensive measuring equipment.

Wouldn't surprise me if every bottle of ingredient they use to mix things is already the finished product...just being combined with itself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    lulz.

I'm still under the impression that they don't "mix" them when you buy them...perfume takes a while to age and macerate (or whatever the term is) before it's ready to sell. I also wouldn't trust sales associates not trained in mixing and preparing ingredients to be consistent without expensive measuring equipment.

Wouldn't surprise me if every bottle of ingredient they use to mix things is already the finished product...just being combined with itself.
    From my understanding they have the oils mixed already and all the workers do is measure it out and add alcohol. And to note: That $400 price is less than it costs at their overseas locations. Vanille 44 runs about $500 at colette without shipping, Poivre is around $450 shipped, and Gaiac 10 is way more at around $600. I'm not complaining.

As far as them being mediocre, etc. I get great pleasure from both Vanille 44 & Poivre 23 so no matter the price they would be mine. To each their own

Random link about their idea for exclusives, which seems to have evaporated with this event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LafIHbi4GPQ#t=1m19s
    Last edited by teger; 4th November 2009 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    From my understanding they have the oils mixed already and all the workers do is measure it out and add alcohol. And to note: That $400 price is less than it costs at their overseas locations. Vanille 44 runs about $500 at colette without shipping, Poivre is around $450 shipped, and Gaiac 10 is way more at around $600. I'm not complaining.

As far as them being mediocre, etc. I get great pleasure from both Vanille 44 & Poivre 23 so no matter the price they would be mine. To each their own
    Ah, that makes more sense. I had someone pick me up something at Colette, so I've never seen the actual process.

I guess I'm just not a big vanilla fan...44 didn't really strike my fancy.

Oi ... the poor perfumers need to get paid too ! ... Or do we just shut them in a cage, when they are finished with a scent, and feed them some carrots ??? (LOL) ... (I mean vegetables are cheap too, but you still need to pay for a "Cordon Bleu" plate of food ! )

But yes I do still agree with you that it is one hell of a mark-up !
    Not to forget this whole concept was surely handcrafted by artisan PR-managers in hundreds of manhours of excrutiating brainstorms and board meetings. Marketing is more than craft, it's nearly art
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

With all the hype that their investment money could provide, Le Labo has painted themselves into a corner with their cynical use of expiration dates. Where will they be in 12 months time? Madame Zaza told me that her crystal ball revealed that the entire world's water supply will be tainted with aroma chemicals by 2012.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th November 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Agreed. Only for those with more money than sense IMO.

Tried a couple of these at the local Barneys over the weekend. Seems that luckyscent and Barneys are having concurrent limited-time availability windows on the city exclusives. Hmm.

Well, the Tubereuse was great. Like an ultra-traditional eau de cologne but with a tuberose theme. Lovely pairing of fine citrus notes with the floral. Definitely unisex. And definitely not worth $260 for 50 ml that I would burn through very quickly. The 100ml at $400, like I said, forget it.

The surprise charmer of the ones I tried was the Aldehyde (Dallas). I was expecting an evocation of big hair and all the rest. It was very elegant, quiet but piquant. Again, I liked it but not to the tune of the many many dollars needed to purchase.

Ruggles hit it in his post above - painted into a corner is where you find yourself if you charge these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think that it's unprecedented and rather crass that a company would take its unsold stock, and instead of having a warehouse sale with it, charge a premium to help them get rid of it and also make you wait for delivery. But again, this is Le Labo here, the kings of gimmicky marketing.
    Le Labo may have a few beauties in their line-up, but they lay their thin juice on rather thickly, IMHO.

I have to agree.

Why not just add them to the regular line up at the regular prices for a limited time. Bet you sell more of it.

Regards,
    Steve

What is in the water in that area of lower Manhattan? There are enough marketing gimmicks and attitude between Bond and Le Labo to spread throughout the entire fragrance industry.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 9th November 2009 at 05:24 PM.

It look like there are (virtually) no buyers here.

I would love to know how many of these Barney's or Luckyscent actually sell.

I'm sure they'll sell them since they are officially going to set aside on 25 bottles of each for sale in this event.

I'm not crazy about the "exclusive" bit and I think the "mixed fresh" thing is silly but I do like several of the fragrances. I'm actually kind of glad that I didn't really lust after any of the exclusives that I don't have ready access to. They were nice mind you but not "skip paying cable and phone bill this month" nice. If I had stupid money that would be different..

I could rant on and on about Le Labo (I did a few years ago). Surprised they're still around given the economy. Ignore them and they will go away like the pretenders they are.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I got my sample of Gaiac 10 and love it. At times green, fresh woods, at other times more hardened and smoky. The musks give it such a warm, rich base that is neither too clean nor too dirty. It's soft, doesn't project far and seems to last for quite a while. I'll see if I can afford a 50ml by the end of the month.

Had to give this a bump. I did my due diligence and ordered four interesting looking samples of Le Labo City Exclusifs. I fell madly in love with Musc 25. So just now I go to Luckyscent, only to find that a 50ml bottle is almost double the price of their other fragrances. $290 for 50ml! This is almost $50 more than I paid for my same size bottle of Epic Man. I love it, but not that much. I know, I know, if I think it's too expensive, then don't #%^-ing buy it...but Jeez! This is some really expensive perfume!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

If the city scents were that good to start with they wouldn't have been exclusives but rather part of the regular line up. Throw a limited/unattainable label on something and people immediately want to believe it's better than it really is.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Way overpriced for what they are IMO.

The extra markup should go to the marketing team or whoever thought of this pretentious gimmick.
    They should be rewarded for their "accomplishment"!

For 100ml of Vanille 44 and a bit of change.. You can get 75ml of Spiritueuse Double Vanille, 100ml of Eau Duelle, 50ml of PG Felanilla, and a small 30ml bottle of Vanille Insensee. The quartet should more than satisfy anyone's vanilla craving!

*Sneaks off to buy Vanille 44 and Poivre 23*

All the city exclusives are up in the LL UK online store , £264 for 100ml ..... yikes Im tempted too LOL !!!

Gaiac 10 smells exactly like Heaven. Okay may be not, but its heavenly !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Le Labo won me over recently. I thought they were a one hit wonder with Rose 31, but then I smelled Santal, Vetiver, Patchouli and Bergamote, all to my nose, are wonderful. I've been testing the city exclusives for the past few weeks and Poivre is gonna be mine.

Sur la Plage

These are now available at Luckyscent for November 2011: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...CityExclusives

You can get 500 mL for a measly $1400 at the LL website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    You can get 500 mL for a measly $1400 at the LL website.
    Could build a solid wardrobe with that money...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/210...n-from-scratch

Funny how 1500$ was worth much more in the realm of fragrance just three years a go.

they must be good if they are that expensive

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    they must be good if they are that expensive
    lol, if it only worked that way.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

$116 for 15ml of Vanille 44. *Sigh*

Their Vanille just didnt do it for me , there are way better out there for way less dolla

Basenotes Member

Just got back from the Le Labo boutique in Manhattan and was in and out in less than 10 minutes with my brand new bottle of Poivre 23. The girls there were super friendly and had no problem with me sampling their many blends while my bottle was in production. Afterward I stopped by Lord and Taylor and spoke with some of the SA's and they were blown away by the Poivre 23. Some small talk with them and out I walked with a handful of samples from D&G, Lacoste, JPG and Chanel. I would love to go to the Le Labo store everyday by the way, it smells simply amazing inside. I wish I could get that smell in my house.
    Top 10: 1)Le Labo Poivre 23 2)D&G By Man 3)Andy Tauer L' Air du Desert Marocain 4)Kerosene Copper Skies 5)Le Labo Gaiac 10 6)Tom Ford Tuscan Leather 7)By Kilian Sweet Redemption 8)Bond No9 Coney Island 9)Hermessence Poivre Samarcande 10)Bermuda Blue

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I have received several e-mails regarding this - and I have deleted them all. I have no interest whatsoever.
    Agree. In fact I removed myself from their mailing list in disgust with numerous unsolicited mails promoting this line.

I tried the Poivre and it is just a light version of Patchouli 24, and the prices for those Exclusives are insane...

Basenotes Plus

I did my due dilligence and ordered 5 of the $10 samples last month. i do like several of the regular line-up and currently own two of them. I liked Poivre 23, but the rest didn't do a lot for me. To echo previous posts I did not like any of them enough to justify the price tag. Poivre 23 also somehow reminds me of Patchouli 24, which I already own.