Code of Conduct

Thread: Odin NYC

Default Odin NYC

Has anyone tried any or all of the three new Odin fragrances? 01, 02 and 03 ? If yes can you offer any comments/feedback?

Chris

Default Re: Odin NYC

Ruggles,

Scoot over to Aedes or the Odin store and give us your impressions please.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Ruggles,

Scoot over to Aedes or the Odin store and give us your impressions please.

thanks!
    Hey! Welcome back JWS!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Hey! Welcome back JWS!
    Thanks. Got my attitude adjustment and now I am refreshed. Time away is really a good thing...If you feel the need, do it.

Sur la Plage

Thanks. Got my attitude adjustment and now I am refreshed. Time away is really a good thing...If you feel the need, do it.
    We missed ya, big guy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I agree, I had a forced time off about a month ago, due to not having internet for almost a month, it was refreshing, but now I'm re-energized.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I just wanted to give this a bump because I'm curious about this new line and nobody has commented on it yet. has anybody in NY had a chance to stop by Aedes and check them out yet?

Basenotes Institution

I like the bottles.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I like the bottles.
    They are great aren't they? I am a sucker for the square bottles and the amber colored juice.
    I have asked Ruggles to buzz by Aedes or the Odin store to have a sniff. Hopefully we can get a report.

The bottles are really good-looking. The one I'm excited about trying is the O2 Owari. I like mandarin a lot, and this sounds like a promising citrus fragrance.

Notes are mandarin, grapefruit leaf, pepper, Tonkin musk, bergamot, amyris wood, neroli, cedar and golden amber.

Thumbs down Re: Odin NYC

I have Odin 1 on my left arm and Odin 3 on my right. Number 2 is on a card, I couldn't bear to suffer its super synthetic mandarian & grapefruit notes on my body.
    Odin 1 smells like a typical sweet cedar scent from the 90s, Iso Super E'd to the max. Think Feminite du Bois butched up without the magic. Odin 3 isn't much better, more ISE, on an "oriental" base, this time with a touch of heliotropin thrown in: more or less a drugstore version of Jaipur pour Homme. Yes, the bottles are gorgeous, heavy and squat, but the scents are about as exciting as a Friends marathon.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th November 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have Odin 1 on my left arm and Odin 3 on my right. Number 2 is on a card, I couldn't bear to suffer its super synthetic mandarian & grapefruit notes on my body.
    Odin 1 smells like a typical sweet cedar scent from the 90s, Iso Super E'd to the max. Think Feminite du Bois butched up without the magic. Odin 3 isn't much better, more ISE, on an "oriental" base, this time with a touch of heliotropin thrown in: more or less a drugstore version of Jaipur pour Homme. Yes, the bottles are gorgeous, heavy and squat, biut the scents are about as exciting as a Friends marathon.
    Thanks, Ruggles. It sounds like more money saved up for something better.

A late drydown update: Odin 1 and 3 could easily fit into the Bvlgari Omnia range.

A late drydown update: Odin 1 and 3 could easily fit into the Bvlgari Omnia range.
    Is that a compliment or an insult?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Is that a compliment or an insult?
    Just an observation. I happen to like the original Omnia - the brown one. The word pastiche comes to my mind when smelling the Odin offerings. Nothing too original going on with these three. Heeley's offerings also come to mind, due to the rather transparent, slightly watery approach in use, but Heeley has great accords, like the Beatles had great melodies. That's it, Odin forgot that great fragrances need great melodies.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th November 2009 at 02:46 AM.

...Number 2 is on a card, I couldn't bear to suffer its super synthetic mandarian & grapefruit notes on my body.
    That's discouraging! Synthetic-smelling, huh? It sounded like it could be the answer to my search for a citrus that suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    That's discouraging! Synthetic-smelling, huh? It sounded like it could be the answer to my search for a citrus that suits me.
    The Mandarin orange note is right out of a Demeter fragrance.

Thanks Ruggles for testing them! You saved me the trouble of obsessing over them anymore.

Thumbs up Re: Odin NYC

I went and tried the Owari Aedes. I definitely have a penchant for citrus and I was really impressed how long the citrus lasted during the dry down and throughout the day. The green notes were subtle but really worked well the with the grapefruit. I didn't try 1 on the skin but took a sample of 3. My friend bought 3 and told me she loves it so i'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Well, there's hope for the Odins, yet.

Any more opinions on these fragrances?

Just a heads up. These are now at Luckyscent.

I was able to score an official box set of all three fragrances. In my opinion, #1 and #3 are excellent scents but #2 is too sharp and sour for my tastes.

The problem with all three scents and the thing that will prevent me from buying any full size bottles, is that they have very little sillage and terrible longevity. The top notes smell gorgeous out of the bottle, but they fade very quickly and you're left with a weak scent with a middle and bottom that is rather indistinguishable from one another. To sum it up, my enthusiasm faded with the top notes.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Hello All,
    I have been wearing all three of these in rotation this week. My overall experience has been real disappointment. The packaging is really nice, and they have the look and feel of real quality stuff. However, aside from the hype and attempts to make them feel niche, the juices themselves are pretty unsubstantial. I don't predict that any of them will stand the test of time well. None of these fragrances is terrible. They are just fairly bland, derivative fragrances that I feel i have tried many times done better in other places. The first, Nomad feels like a fragrance that Gucci would have released in the 80's. Turin would dismiss this one as, "...another woody amber with some spices thrown in." I didn't hate it, it was just nothing I would spend money on.
    Number 2, Owari was much less interesting to me, and a bit off putting. I had a reaction similar to Ruggles in my feeling that it smelled of chemicals. The mandarin note is nice, but had too much of an air freshener vibe for me.
    I had the highest hopes for number 3- Century, and it struck me as the most interesting. If I were to wear one occasionally it would be this one. Its another woody amber, but better blended than Nomad, and with some more interesting features. But I kept wanting more from it. More body, more earthiness. It was too light and transparent for the feeling it was trying to convey. Of the three it will have the most followers, I imagine, but I would be surprised if people didn't have bottles up on the swap board pretty quickly. It's just too bland to hold interest for very long.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits