Code of Conduct

Question What is "powder" scent--Exactly?

I have been reading all kinds of perfume blogs and reviews for the past several weeks. Lots of them refer to "powder", or "powdery" scent but never have I encountered any explanation of what this is. Okay, I sense that Baby Powder might be the reference, but whose? Is it Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder? They add fragrance to their product, but exactly what is that fragrance, and why do these references imply powder and not the fragrance additive? Regardless of whether or not one likes a powdery fragrance, wouldn't it be useful to know precisely what that substance is?

Default Re: What is "powder" scent--Exactly?

correct me if I am wrong but i think it refers to a slightly cloying, sweet musk drydown

if you've tried it, you'll know. try to test out something that's been known to be very powdery based on other BN'ers reviews.

I don't know anything about ladies' scents, so other members might be better at suggesting one.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I too think baby powder when I refer to something as "powerdy". However, not the scented stuff, nor the corn starch based products. When I think of power I specifically think of talc/talcum powder.

Blog Entries

Yes, I think of talc too, not musk. Violets fragrances are often powdery. Try Paris, that is powdery too.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th September 2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: tags

My subject line says "Exactly" for a reason...I know plenty of fragrances that people consider "powdery". I am not looking for those. I am trying to find out what the "powder" is fragranced WITH. Does anyone know this?

Thank you tott!

Blog Entries

Ionone too, I believe.

Basenotes Institution

There's an article on sweet and powdery scent ingredients here ..

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...and_powde.html
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th September 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Smile Re: What is "powder" scent--Exactly?

For inquiring (newbie) minds, I found this: http://community.basenotes.net/blog.php?bt=1330
    from a blog by Basenote member Jaime. Big thanks to mysticknot, 30roses and tott for pointing me in the direction of an answer (and of course, more questions!).

Most of the balsams (i.e. benzoin, storax, frankincense, tolu, etc.) will lend a powdery note to a blend, but it can be accomplished with many combinations of a variety of naturals and synthetics. There is no singular powder chemical, although there are numerous powder fragrance blends on the market.

Thank you, Nymphaea!

Talking Re: What is "powder" scent--Exactly? Funny!

Okay, not to be too obsessed about this....I found a company online that sells fragrances and flavors to the food and cosmetics industries. They sell essential oils, flavor essences, cosmetic ingredients and the like. One fragrance they offer is called Baby Powder. I clicked on a link to that product for a description of the odor, which is described as...wait for it..."powdery". Bwahhhhh-hhaaaa-haaaa!!

Sorry, I just could not resist reporting that. :bounce:

I wonder if those of us who were exposed as babies to the scent of baby powder have a bias either for or against "powdery" fragrances. Maybe I'll do my thesis on that as a requirement to graduate from irritating frag newbie status.

Nice thread...it helped me figure out the "powdery" smell I always notice with Boucheron Jaipur. Tonka Bean and/or vanilla.

A scent with a dry and/or aromatic base included but not limited to such notes as orris root, vanilla, tonka, incense, musk, amber, etc that are reminiscent of talcum powder.

Blog Entries

I just bought a bottle of vintage 1980s reformulated Tigress that is powdery, and it is amber + vanilla that is making it so, I believe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

So I know there's a gender conflict here - I'm a guy so I'm basing this off male aftershave experience - but I just wanted to offer what I know about that "powder" smell - to me Chaps by Ralph Lauren is the quintessential powdery dry down aftershave. I can say without hesitation that baby powder - Johnson & Johnson baby powder, or anything similar - is alive in this, but not alone. There's the more neutral talc, and of course the amber and dry leather as well. If you know anyone who still has a bottle of this stuff sitting around like I do, give it a dab, wait a few minutes, and you'll see what I mean.

Post Re: What is "powder" scent--Exactly?

Not sure what stores are in Boston, but if you have a Bob Bon. Macys, or a Carson Pirie Scott or some such dept. store that carries Jaipur by Boucheron spray some on the back of your hand, and you will find out the meaning of a scent that smells powdery.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

If you see iris or orris listed, there's a good chance it is "powdery."

For me, the use of the word "powdery" represents more of a texture than an aroma. There are all types of scented powder, but the one thing they all have in common is their super-fine granulated texture - which is a characteristic that can definitely be applied to scent. Penhaligons' Bluebell immediately comes to mind.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah