Code of Conduct

Default Hello and some suggestions

Just wanted to say hello, and to ask for some simple suggestions. I've only recently started trying out and becoming interested in colognes. I don't like many of the popular scents from people my age (23), and have found myself liking older and more "rugged" fragrances.

I'm looking for more outdoorsy scents. So far I've liked the $1 Store Old Spice knock-off, T&H Grafton (can't put my finger on why), and GFT Wild Fern. I've tried Floris Vetiver, but there is something I don't quite like about it. I've been wanting to try some of the L'Occitane fragrances because I've heard they are "outdoorsy."

So, any suggestions? I don't dress up or work in a very professional environment, so nothing too formal. Thanks a lot, and I look forward to learning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello and some suggestions

I wouldn't call most of the L'Occitane line outdoorsy, but there are a few, Eau du Badian is pretty earthy and herbal. I think you might just go for Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Pasha de Cartier, and you may go for some of the '80s fragrances like Quorum by Puig. In a more niche offering, Bond No. 9 has two that I thought of right away, Central Park which is more green and leafy and Wall Street which is more aquatic. In a vetiver offering, I suppose one must try Guerlain Vetiver which I personally don't go for, I prefer the lighter and more modern Thierry Mugler Cologne.

Something to get you started and thinking, check out reviews and note pyramids on the ones you know you like to get more ideas on where to go from here. Good luck!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

outdoorsy and rugged - Terre d'Hermes

It is also suggested for virtually any other reason on this board, because it is awesome

l'occitane shops are fun, but not really "outdoorsy" for the most part. They do have a good vetiver that could fit that category though. Lots of people like their Cedar, though it bored me to tears. They have a lot of lighter floral/herbal fragrances and quite an array of tea based scents that are mostly well thought of. I remember enjoying their fragrance simply called L'OCCITAN, though all I remember about it is that I thought it was well blended and had a nice nutmeg note.

Post Thanks / Like

For L'Occitane, I'd second the two above picks. The self-titled L'Occitane and the Badian are both rather herbal and spicy.

Along those lines, you might like some of the more traditional 80's power frags like Boss #1, Azzaro Pour Homme, or something woody and peppery like Gucci Pour Homme.

Or, something musky like Kiehl's Original Musk.
    Or, maybe you'd like leather - try Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather
    Or, maybe something a little fresh, but with tobacco and leather - try Burberry London

Along the "green" lines, based on GFT fern (are you a wetshaver?) try Penhaligon's English Fern, and along the lines of Floris Vetiver, try Creed, L'Occitane, or Geurlain's Vetivers.

What I'd stay away from are the overused acquatics and pure citrus ones... do note though, that often the top notes will appear sweet or fresh, but the drydown leads to something much stronger/manly, so give them time.

good luck, stick with it. It'll be worth all the work when you find something you love. Remember, sample sample sample, then buy.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 4th November 2009 at 07:39 AM.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there. Do give Issey Miyake's L'eau Bleue D'Issey a sniff (and wait for 20-30 minutes before you pass a judgement). Definitely outdoorsy in an unconventional non-conformist way. Forget Bond recs (no offense ) - they're ridiculously over-priced esp. for someone looking at L'Occitane range (that includes me btw).
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 4th November 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with the recommendations of Guerlain's Vetiver and Mugler Cologne. I really like both of them.

+1 on mugler cologne.

and I recommend paul smith story as well
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Kyle Hyde.

Another vote for Guerlain Vetiver. I know I'd be really taking a gamble suggesting Kouros (YSL), but I think you should try to give it a sniff (or best still, a few sample wearings if possible), it does have a "rugged" vibe to it, IMO.

To me, "outdoorsy" means "natural woods." Comme Des Garcon's Series Red: Sequoia smells like camping in a pine forest. For other piney recommendations, see the "Coneheads" Social Group, which discusses lots of delicious pine type scents.

Good luck! I adore woody scents on a man...at least on my husband! That wonderful fresh, outdoor scent is very attractive to me.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For rugged but still elegant I suggest Chaps by Ralph Lauren - it was discontinued, but I hear it's back. Very simple, some good leather, some powder, and you're all set.

For outdoorsy but still elegant, Platinum Egoiste by Chanel. It's a tad bit controversial - read the reviews and you'll see what I mean - but my personal rule of thumb is, with Chanel, you really can't go wrong, and I wear this, so I stand behind it. This is bold and green smelling, and as far as I can tell where I'm from it's not very widely known, so it has its own intrigue about it.