Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrance of the Week: Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana

I don't think we've ever done anything before in regards to the fragrance of the week. I always see them on the frontpage, and when they're up, I don't even see an increase in submitted reviews for them. So I figured, let's make a thread for the Fragrance of the Week, and talk about it!

It's a perfect frag for the first FotW thread, truly an underappreciated scent, that's right up there near the top as a representative of the floral-aquatic genre. Beautiful Magnolia note, and thus far, it's my favorite aquatic scent I smelled. I started an aquatic thread a LONG time ago, and it was pretty damn impressive with the amount of recommendations that you guys came up with. I spent a LONG time sampling numerous aquatics and Magnolia Romana, is the only one that I would rate a 5 star.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fragrance of the Week: Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana

Not sure if I'd rate it 5-star, but for what it is, it's very good. I tested it a few times and found it very pleasant, but not something I'd drop money on. It also seemed to be a strange departure for the Eau d'Italie line...not really in keeping with the theme they had going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Not sure if I'd rate it 5-star, but for what it is, it's very good. I tested it a few times and found it very pleasant, but not something I'd drop money on. It also seemed to be a strange departure for the Eau d'Italie line...not really in keeping with the theme they had going.
    Just curious, if you had to pick the best representative of the floral-aquatic or just plain aquatic genre which would you pick. I can't really think of a better example than Magnolia Romana.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

S-ex by S-Perfume.

edit - adding Bergamotto Marino.

These, of course, are just my personal preferences. I'm not a big aquatic fan to begin with.
    Last edited by Dane; 4th November 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested all the Eau d`Italie fragrances yesterday, and ended up buying Sienne I`Hiver and Bois d`Ombrie. Magnolia Romana is very nice, but a bit too aquatic for my taste..I like Sienne I`Hiver better, and will put it in the Floral green family.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 4th November 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, a "smoky aquatic" (according to Vibert's review). Interesting. How pronounced is the aquatic note? Is it more of a "fresh water" aquatic or does it have briny marine qualities? Also, how strong is that nutmeg? I don't tend to like nutmeg.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th November 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Hmmm, a "smoky aquatic" (according to Vibert's review). Interesting. How pronounced is the aquatic note? Is it more of a "fresh water" aquatic or does it have briny marine qualities? Also, how strong is that nutmeg? I don't tend to like nutmeg.
    LJ, I'm going to sample it again today, so I can report back more accurately, I haven't tried it in a while. Though, the aquatic nature is NOT the synthetic aquatic calone type note we smell in other aquatics. It gives me the image of flowers resting in a stagnant pond.

Edit: Fresh water, not briney.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 4th November 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd classify it as an aquatic the way that lilies are aquatic...more "watery" I guess?

I don't recall the nutmeg being prominent at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I very rarely wear this and I'd never buy a full bottle, but it's the most interesting of the aquatic florals I know. To me, it smells like a mixture of cold rain, wet turf, magnolia, black pepper, and smoke. Very austere on some level, and fascinating in a reserved way.

"Aquatic floral" is one of my favorite categories, especially for summer. I enjoyed my sample of Magnolia Romana so much that this fragrance is now on my wish list. It actually reminds me a lot of another favorite of mine by Bertrand Duchaufour, L'Artisan Fleur de Liane.

I'm intrigued by the concept of "flowers submerged in water". Besides Magnolia Romana and Fleur de Liane, I would put Diptyque Do Son and Hermes Vanille Galante in this category. The watery aspect sort of softens the edges of the white florals in these fragrances. I think this makes white florals easier to wear. My husband, BTW, loves splashing on my Do Son on a hot day!

Eau d'Italie is an interesting line. I liked Paestum Rose quite a bit, and fell in love with Sienne l'Hiver (I have a bottle). Still need to try the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Just from everyone's descriptions, it sounds like it might be similar to Agua de Leowe, which I just received in a blind swap.

It's a very "clear" aquatic that reminds me of a very pretty pond with flowers and reeds. Definite spice and floral notes, but no smoke. Tea instead. Very good.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    "Aquatic floral" is one of my favorite categories, especially for summer. I enjoyed my sample of Magnolia Romana so much that this fragrance is now on my wish list. It actually reminds me a lot of another favorite of mine by Bertrand Duchaufour, L'Artisan Fleur de Liane.

I'm intrigued by the concept of "flowers submerged in water". Besides Magnolia Romana and Fleur de Liane, I would put Diptyque Do Son and Hermes Vanille Galante in this category. The watery aspect sort of softens the edges of the white florals in these fragrances. I think this makes white florals easier to wear. My husband, BTW, loves splashing on my Do Son on a hot day!

Eau d'Italie is an interesting line. I liked Paestum Rose quite a bit, and fell in love with Sienne l'Hiver (I have a bottle). Still need to try the others.
    I agree, in the comparison to Fleur de Liane, though I find FdL more floral, and coconutty on my skin. I'm not sure what makes it smell like coconut on my skin.