Code of Conduct

Thread: Profumum Roma.

Default Profumum Roma.

There is a shop here in my town that sells the full line of Profumum Roma. I have never tested fragrances from this brand. What do you think of these scents? Is it the same quality as the other Italian fragrance-house like Eau d`Italie and Bois1920? They have over 20 fragrances, so there are many to choose from! Maby something to check out?

Default Re: Profumum Roma.

It's some of the highest quality you'll find in the niche world. Truly, deep, rich, SUPER high quality. I highly recommend trying them all, though they are incredibly expensive, you really need to find a true love to spend that kind of money IMO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

They aren't very complex, rather simple and mostly dominated with a few notes that stand out. I personally enjoy Fumidus the most, though it's a very changeling scent and maybe an acquired taste. Santalum, Thundra & Vanitas are my next favorites.

Everything else is worth trying but I couldn't see myself buying them. I'm sort of ho-hum with the line. They have some interesting scents but they also have some not so great ones.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 5th November 2009 at 01:47 AM.

This is currently my favourite niche house. I'd say about half of the line is truly worth investigating (and if you can think of a perfume house, with more than 20 creations, devoid of any duds then you are a better man than I am). However, as already mentioned, they are bloody expensive - it's only worth purchasing a bottle if you fall in love with it big time.

As for recommendations, it really depends on what you usually like to wear. There are plenty of sweet gourmand offerings (Vanitas being my top favourite), resinous and woody (Ambra Aurea and Santalum), green (Ichnusa nand Victrix) and downright weird (Fumidus).

I'm sure there's at least one you'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It's some of the highest quality you'll find in the niche world. Truly, deep, rich, SUPER high quality. I highly recommend trying them all, though they are incredibly expensive, you really need to find a true love to spend that kind of money IMO.
    Puhh.. I don`t think i have the energy to go through over 20 fragrances now.. I don`t think i be capable to choose only one! I don`t dare step into that store!

Victrix and Acqua di Sale are two of my favorites of the line. Victrix is a very nicely done green fragrance and Acqua di Sale is probably the nicest aquatic scent available. I also like Acqua Viva, a great lemon scent with a touch of wood that lasts better than most lemon scents.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Personally, Acqua di Sale is possibly the worst fragrance I've ever smelled in my life. I literally had the urge to vomit about 2 minutes in.. it's actually the only fragrance that truly ruined my day. In the database, out of 19 reviews only 5 are thumbs up.. make of that what you will. -> http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126183.html

The only other one I've tried was Fumidus, which was like straight vetiver essential oil on me.
    Last edited by flouris; 5th November 2009 at 01:21 AM.

i like deep, warm, woody, spice ,sweet, oriental, green, complex. Not aquatic, light, citrus, lemon.. Do they have something similar to f.ex Straight to Heaven?

Personally, I dig Thundra, Fiore di Ambra, Santalum and Olibanum.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Personally, I dig Thundra, Fiore di Ambra, Santalum and Olibanum.
    It looks like Fiore D`Ambra is in relationship with Bois1920 Real Patchouly (lots of amber).
    What do you think of that comparison? Which one do you like best?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It looks like Fiore D`Ambra is in relationship with Bois1920 Real Patchouly (lots of amber).
    What do you think of that comparison? Which one do you like best?
    I didn't find it similar to Real Patchouly at all. Fiore d'Ambra starts off with an amber vanilla explosion with a slightly off note lurking within (the opium note as Profumum likes to call it) whereas Real Patchouly stays true to the patch with amber as a supporting note.

I prefer Fiore d'Ambra.
    Last edited by Amit; 5th November 2009 at 01:20 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thumbs up Re: Profumum Roma.

TUBEROSA is perfect. I am thinking to buy a bottle.I also like SANTALUM and REAL PATCHOULI
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

I like Ambra Aurea better than Fiore di Ambra. It is deeper, not quite so sweet. I am smitten with Neroli. It's the best orange blossom I've tried with its smoky myrrh ending, it keeps it from being too femme. If you like sweet mexican vanilla with a hint of orange, the Dulcis in Fundo is a most uplifting, entertaining scent wafting all day.

Basenotes Institution

If I lived near a store that stocked Profumum scents, I would visit there every day and try a scent. I never see any of their scents in Miami. The only place I can play around with tester bottles is at Scent Bar in LA, when I am over there visiting my parents. Which is where I fell in love with Fumidus.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If I lived near a store that stocked Profumum scents, I would visit there every day and try a scent. I never see any of their scents in Miami. The only place I can play around with tester bottles is at Scent Bar in LA, when I am over there visiting my parents. Which is where I fell in love with Fumidus.
    I think this perfume-store is the smallest in the city. It`s so tiny! Max 13 square meter. With 5 customers inside, the store is packed! But they carry the whole line of Profumum, Bond no.9, Bois 1920, Creed, and several others..It`s quite impressive for a shop with that size.

Where can you get a sample or a decant of Fumidus? TPC is out of it.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    Where can you get a sample or a decant of Fumidus? TPC is out of it.
    Lucky Scent. $4.

Blog Entries

What are their prices like? I'm hoping to find it cheaper somewhere. $240 at LuckyScent & everywhere else, is all I have ever seen.

i like deep, warm, woody, spice ,sweet, oriental, green, complex. Not aquatic, light, citrus, lemon.. Do they have something similar to f.ex Straight to Heaven?
    I think you should check out Olibanum which is an amazing, resinous-green, frankincense scent. Victrix is the other one I own.
    I was in the shop in Rome and sniffed most of the line -- those two called out to me and I left with them...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Any affection for Antico Caruso? I have a sample on the way and will report back but very little info that I've seen. LT not impressed and a couple of people here have said it's a great subtle-almond meets barber-shop? Anywhere in the same ballpark as Uomo maybe?

PS Sample arrived and I have tried Antico Caruso - just a touch, and will wear it on the weekend. I was hoping for a certain feeling based on the reviews here, the refined Italian barbershop decription sounded like this might be what I have been looking for. It's all that and more - this is what I want to wear walking into the city on a cool morning. It feels familiar, reassuring, relaxed and yet also quite formal - it's great! This is not an almond fest - it's almost subliminal to me. I would like to try some of the others mentioned here now.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th November 2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: sample arrived

AromiErotici

I had wanted to try more of Profumum's line, but so far, all I have sampled is the dark version of Santalum.

It's very good, but very expensive for an occasion fragrance. A 100ml bottle would last me 4 lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Victrix and Acqua di Sale are two of my favorites of the line. Victrix is a very nicely done green fragrance and Acqua di Sale is probably the nicest aquatic scent available. I also like Acqua Viva, a great lemon scent with a touch of wood that lasts better than most lemon scents.
    I went back to the perfume-shop today for some more testing. After some sniffing, there was 2 fragrances that realy captured my interest. Santalum and Victrix. After a while, i decided to go for Victrix! A very nice unique green scent. All the female cashier said this one was fantastic on a man. I`m very satisfied, but a poor man now!

I went back to the perfume-shop today for some more testing. After some sniffing, there was 2 fragrances that realy captured my interest. Santalum and Victrix.
    Was the Santalum a very dark brown/black juice or a faint yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Was the Santalum a very dark brown/black juice or a faint yellow?
    The color of the juice is almost clear like water. Just a bit light-grey.

AromiErotici

The color of the juice is almost clear like water. Just a bit light-grey.
    That's the reformulation. I haven't heard much in the way of opinions on the lighter version. The dark, oily original was a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    That's the reformulation. I haven't heard much in the way of opinions on the lighter version. The dark, oily original was a bomb.
    Already reformulated? These scents are from 2006 - 2009, so that was early! On the pictures the Victrix is also light-grey, but the bottle i bought has deep-brown/red/orange juice!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 7th November 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Already reformulated? These scents are from 2006 - 2009, so that was early! On the pictures the Victrix is also light-grey, but the bottle i bought has deep-brown/red/orange juice!
    That's odd. The Victrix I bought from the Rome store in July of this year is a very light, clear off-brown colour.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Enybody know if the brown-orange juice is the new or the old bottle? I have read that someone complain over the longevity on Victrix, but the bottle i own (brown/orange) has very good longevity. Stays close to the skin, but all day long!

Enybody know if the brown-orange juice is the new or the old bottle? I have read that someone complain over the longevity on Victrix, but the bottle i own (brown/orange) has very good longevity. Stays close to the skin, but all day long!
    I tested a bottle of Victrix, just over a year ago, at the Roja Dove boutique and the juice was as odysseusm described. That clear colour was also the same as my Luckyscent sample. Neither were long-lasting, unfortunately. Here's hoping that they 'did a Malle' and made it more intense, as I've never seen Victrix as a dark-coloured juice.
    Last edited by Trebor; 12th November 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I tested a bottle of Victrix, just over a year ago, at the Roja Dove boutique and the juice was as odysseusm described. That clear colour was also the same as my Luckyscent sample. Neither were long-lasting, unfortunately. Here's hoping that they 'did a Malle' and made it more intense, as I've never seen Victrix as a dark-coloured juice.
    It`s almost the same colour as Chergui..

That's the last thing I need to know! If they've strengthened Victrix, I may actually reconsider buying a bottle...

Picture of the bottle can be seen here at the homepage: www.profumum.com
    I have sendt them a mail, asking what happened to the clear bottle!

That's the last thing I need to know! If they've strengthened Victrix, I may actually reconsider buying a bottle...
    Well, i haven`t tested the "old" clear juice, so i can`t compare..

It`s been a while now.. Have you tested the new stuff?

EDI and Bois 1920 have vastly better products on offer. See my ratings below for those I've tried, and consider that they ask no less than A$300 a bottle.

Alba (**)
    Antico Caruso (*)
    Aqua di Sale (**)
    Dambrosia (*)
    Ichnusa (*)
    Olibanum (***)
    Santalum (**)
    Thundra (zero)
    Victrix (***)

I'll speak up for Antico Caruso. Sweetish but nicely balanced and very comforting. A good frag for a wintry day when perfume comes filtering up through layers of sweaters and scarves.

I really wanted to like Profumum, I'd read some positive things (despite LT's negs) and was keen to find a new line to explore. But the first two I hated, just hated. Thundra was old shoes in the amazon jungle. Olibanum was a green, resinous migraine fury. When I found Aesop's Mystra I realised what Olibanum was trying to be.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I think you should check out Olibanum which is an amazing, resinous-green, frankincense scent. Victrix is the other one I own.
    I was in the shop in Rome and sniffed most of the line -- those two called out to me and I left with them...
    Agreed! I went to the perfume-shop today for some Profumum testing. Olibanum is my second favourite after Victrix. Patchouly and Ambra Aurea are also nice, but since i already own Bois1920 Real Patchouly, i will not buy any of them. There is something in the drydown of Olibanum that reminds me a bit of Gucci Pour Homme. I think maby this will be my next Profumum purchase.

Glad to hear that you like Olibanum as well as Victrix. Those continue to be very good in my opinion. I wore Olibanum yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very dry, resinous-green, and woody. Great longevity on me.
    odysseusm