Code of Conduct

Default A little guidance?

First I want to thank all who make this community available and alive, it is so helpful.

I love Vetiver by Guerlain, unfortunately it does not last at all on me, 40 minutes in the best cases, around 20 to 30 minutes in general, even within the first 30 minutes I am told it smells nice but very light and faint although I spray a more than generous amount. It is too bad because I would probably only use this one until I got tired of it, I am almost addicted to it, that's how much I love it but I have to be practical and since I use way too much it will become too expensive.

After many samplings and reading here I have come to the conclusion that I am most attracted to:
    A balance between citrus and light flowers, a little woodsy with a slight sweetness and bitterness together.
    Sorry, that's the best I can do to describe it...
    Guerlain Vetiver seems to have everything I like, too bad about the lack of longevity and sillage.
    So I have decided to get a bottle of D&G Pour Homme, after reading about it here and sampling it in a retail store it seems to have almost everything I like plus I understand it lasts and has good sillage, I'll be able to try it this evening, I got a sample from a reputed retail store that I'll compare with the bottle I just received from EBay which I suspect could be a fake, I find the cap to be a little strange and fitting too tight, I'll know for sure after I compare the two, one spray on each arm and we'll see.

I would love to hear different recommendations for my situation from the veterans or others.
    Last edited by Understatement; 5th November 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Default Re: A little guidance?

I'm sorry, but.... really? 40 minutes? I get more than 12 hours of good sillage from Vetiver, and most scents don't really last on me. in my drobe of 30 something bottles, Guerlain vetiver is on the top 5 of my longest lasting scents... maybe you got a really bad bottle...

anyway, try to sample Kenzo Power, it's a nice citrusy, floral scent with a bit of powdery sweetness to it.

Encre noir is also worth a try if you like guerlain vetiver.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

40 minutes of GV ? Wow...what kind of longevity do u get from frags like Kouros and Antaeus ?

I get very good sillage and longevity from GV and i sometimes secretly wish GV didn't have so much sillage because for the 1st hour the mega sillage can really annoy people. My max with GV is 5 sprays, anything more and i'll start to hallucinate

The quality of D&G PH bottles is a common complaint here. My bottle is one of the newer versions but the blue bit of the cap is loose and makes an irritating squeak when twisted...other than that mine seems fine. Sillage from D&G PH is not great but should not disappoint you.

I suggest you give Aramis 900, Solo Loewe and Givenchy Gentleman a try.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I'll guess that you are getting "olfactory fatigue." I found that avoiding top notes solves this problem. Just blow on the area you sprayed, try to breathe in as little as possible, and leave the room after you think it's dry. Do not try to smell it up close (if you sprayed near your wrist, for example) either.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th November 2009 at 04:23 AM.

Hillaire

Try spraying your clothes instead, collar in particular. This trick works for me! It lasts longer on clothes, actually.

I have this same problem with a few Guerlain fragrances, including Vetiver Pour Elle, but the Vetiver is very tenacious on me.

Another divine vetiver with MAD longevity is Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Another divine vetiver with MAD longevity is Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    I love VE! Great recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Understatement View Post
    First I want to thank all who make this community available and alive, it is so helpful.

I love Vetiver by Guerlain, ... I would probably only use this one until I got tired of it, I am almost addicted to it, that's how much I love it but I have to be practical and since I use way too much it will become too expensive.

After many samplings and reading here I have come to the conclusion that I am most attracted to:
    A balance between citrus and light flowers, a little woodsy with a slight sweetness and bitterness together.

I would love to hear different recommendations for my situation from the veterans or others.
    You can find Guerlain Vetiver at the discount perfume stores at reasonable prices, so it shouldn't break the bank. I bought mine at Perfumania for $5 from a sales shelf. You'll have to pay more than $5 but it shouldn't be too expensive. It doesn't have to be an expensive habit, it has been out for so long that it has had time to work its way into the discount stores.

As for alternatives, you might want to try Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo, it seems to match your description very well.

All your comments are very helpful and it's great to hear different approaches.

Update on the D&G Pour Homme I just received from EBay:
    Each arm got 2 sprays, one being from the EBay supplier, the other being the sample straight from the tester bottle at Sephora (the lady at Sephora was very helpful, she made me a sample by pumping a few sprays into this small tube which gets fitted with a tiny spray top, never seen that before, I know, I am new here... I don't know why they did not think of doing it at Bloomingdales and Macy's)
    Huge difference, the EBay one was very lemony/citrusy in an acidic, synthetic way, I have to say it reminded me of cat piss... The other was just like I remembered from 2 weeks ago, well balanced with this light flower sweetness on the end. I strongly suspect the seller (Ebay ID: specialmoments4u) to deal in fakes even though he maintains all his products are "100 %authentic" he said he'll refund all my money after I return it which I'll do by tomorrow.

After all your suggestions I am hesitating, I was going to get another D&G Pour Homme but now I am thinking I'll wait and explore all your suggestions before I commit to that.

I bought the Guerlain Vetiver from EBay, a new 4.2 oz tester bottle, there is no question it is authentic because I compared it with the in store's testers. Maybe I got old stock??? I'll try to spray more on my clothes in the future and see if I get a longer lasting effect but I know it's not just my nose because at least 3 friends told me they could only faintly smell it on me after one hour. On the other hand Louslice is right, it can be purchased for a reasonable amount, especially since I have been looking into Creed GIT and SMW, even more so if I compare it with Hillaire's intriguing reco on Vetiver Extraordinaire, and I thought Creed was expensive... I would love to try the Malle VE, in my brief research it seems to be only distributed at Barney's, do any of you know how to get it cheaper? It must be too much of a niche item for EBay it seems.

After ordering decants from the perfumed court thanks to your advice, I decided to buy a bottle of Lalique Encre Noire and I love it, it is a great recommendation. I also absolutely love Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire but can't afford it at this time... Does any one have ideas on how to get a better deal on it?
    I am considering also exploring something with fresh notes but in the same vein as the ones I tried simply because Encre Noire can be a little heavy in certain situations, let me know if you have any more ideas.